Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Customs at TRJ Show

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 'Mo, Sep 29, 2014.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

Here are a few pics I snapped at TRJ show. I figure the main board will soon fill up with all the great rods (and customs), but here is a primer. If anyone has photos of customs to add, by all means feel free to join in.

First, this '55 Merc. I was telling my friend Dallas (a photo-jounalist), about how this car was chopped when new, and still (to my knowledge) a one owner car. When lo and behold(!), I overhear a conversation that evinces the owner. I quickly corner him, and he was thankfully willing to share. This is what you get! (I'm sorry I didn't get his name, as I assumed it would be common knowledge (Rikster, Kustorama, et.al.), but surprisingly, not so.)

[​IMG]

The original plan was for a louvered hood, but while driving one day, the sight of a new Buick caught the owners eye, and port holes were added instead. I hope these don't reap same chorus of negativity as '59 Caddy tail lights by the "Cliche Police", who probably were not even born when this stuff was still cutting edge.

Wraparound windshields were were still new stuff in 1955. Imagine the stones it took to for a young man to put the axe to brand new car! The glass man laid the Merc rear glass on windshields on the rack, til he found the proper curvature in a mid-fifties Plymout unit, and cut it into three pieces to make it work. (Keep in mind, the owner is a young serviceman, and this is a brand new car!

[​IMG]

Did I say "One owner, Brand new car"? Well, check this out!
    This, boys and girls, is the original interior! "You can tell by this gold piping" the owner
    was proud to point out. "They don't make this any more!"

[​IMG]

The '55 Pontiac bumpers were added in 1971, and that brings us up to date!

[​IMG]

At some poiint, he was ready to sell the car, but his wife (who, according to him, is NOT a car enthusiast) said, "You can't do that! That's your baby!" After 50+ years of marriage, it's clear that she's a keeper, too!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    seadog, TOE, GEEZZER and 1 other person like this.
  2. That car gets driven too! Saw it when it was part of the Rod and Kustom exhibit at the Gilmore. It was also in Custom Rodder many years ago

3. 'Mo

'Mo

This chopped '54 Ford Victoria was customized by Clarkaiser in Detroit. Ron Clark and Bob Kaiser did a lot of cars back in the day, including the Di Dia, Arctic Sand, Utopia, and Larry Ernst '52 Ford. If you're not familiar, check them out at Rikster's, or on Kustomrama. They rivaled the West Coast builders, but obviously had their own unique style.
    Look for this car at next weekend's "Kustoms by the Sea".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. 'Mo

'Mo

I really don't know where to begin with this one, but I'll try.

I was so moved by viewing this car that it nearly brought me to tears. I wasn't expecting it, and it's difficult to explain. Maybe it was Jack Stewart's recent passing. Maybe it was the tattered 1954 Trend Annual magazine that I cherish. But suddenly the past, present, and future all coalesced into one transendental moment.

[​IMG]

I stood by, and paid my respects to Gene Blackthorn (the owner/restorer), adding how emotional an experience it was for me to witness the car. He could sense how moved I was, and said, "Hold on, I've got something for you."

He opened the trunk, and presented this poster, telling me of the circumstances, and all the figures tepresented (including Jack Stewart). If I'd had my wits, I'd have handed off my camera, and had my picture taken with Gene and the car! (Hey, isn't that Dan Freeberg in the floppy hat and pro camera?)

[​IMG]

I apologized for my lack of composure, but Gene could relate, and said, "It's okay! You're supposed to! I felt that way when I bought it, and many times when I worked on it!" (Gene saw the car first when he was 12 years old, and kept it for 33 years after purchase before finally restoring it. Read the story on Kustomrama.http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Jack_Stewart's_1950_Oldsmobile)

The emotional chord that resonated was deep, and Gene also bestowed to me some rare and personal items from the cars history, which I will treasure. All I can say, Gene, is "Thanks for the memories!"

6. 'Mo

'Mo

Look familiar?

[​IMG]

I wish I'd had my zoom on this one. Bob K. himself is as recognizable (and photogenic) as that great Chevy!

[​IMG]

7. 'Mo

'Mo

Here's Big John, hard at work on his beautiful, full custom '62 Chrysle. LOL!
    (Note the '57 Olds roof ribs, that also extend through the trunk._

[​IMG]

8. Cool pictures and story so far. Just so you know (and maybe you do) but the Jack Stewart that recently passed away is not the same Jack Stewart that had Valley Custom build the Polynesian.

HEMI32 likes this.
  9. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, K13. Confusion on my part! All the same, the beat goes on!

10. 'Mo

'Mo

In my opinion, molded fenders do as much for a fat-fendered car as a chopped top. I still remember a candy red, un-chopped 1941 Ford coupe I saw at a show nearly 50 years ago (perhaps by Winfield?)

I think this one is a Pontiac. So organic!

[​IMG]

11. 'Mo

'Mo

This was but one of a queue of beautiful shoeboxes. I seem to recall seeimg it featured some years ago (perhaps in "Custons and Classics"?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful Gaylord style rolls and pleats!

[​IMG]

And yet another "Long, Cool Woman in a Black Dress..."

[​IMG]

That's it, for now.

straykatkustoms likes this.
  12. @'Mo - Cool pics of some cool Customs! ... Thanks for sharing!

PS: No worries on the Jack Stewart mix-up [Jack Stewart of the "Polynesian" '50 Olds (by Valley Customs) fame vice the Jack Stewart of '41 Ford (by Ayala Bros. & Barris Kustoms) and LA Roadsters fame] ... You aren't the first to make that mistake and certainly won't be the last! ... especially since the "wrong" Jack Stewart (RIP) posed with the "Polynesian II" clone during the "Customs Then & Now" exhibit at the GNRS in 2011:

JackStewartByPolynesianGNRS11.JPG JackStewartInPolynesianGNRS11.JPG
    click thumbnails to enlarge

'Mo likes this.
  13. baremetal48

baremetal48

The owner of the merc is Blaine Kauffman from the KKOA and i believe it is a 56.

'Mo likes this.
  14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When Blaine chopped his Merc, his dad told him he ruined the resale value and nobody would want to buy it.

15. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks for the info and clarifications, Guys. I'm flying by the seat of my pants, and it's good to have someone help keep me pointed straight.

Dave. The decision to go was last minute, and wrapped in a Honda. If I ever get the Chevy roadworthy, you can be sure I'll let you know! Will you be attending TROG (and Kustoms by the Sea) next weekend?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

That ain't a Freeberg in the floppy hat with a slick camera... it's a Greenberg... actually a Dan Greenberg!
    It was good to see him at the show again this year, too.
    We owe all the picture guys a big "THANK YOU!" for showing up and also sharing some of their magic with us!

'Mo likes this.
  17. 'Mo

'Mo

Sorry, Dan. I guess your cover is blown!

Right you are, Hamtown Al; on both counts!

[​IMG]

I took some ribbing last year on the HAMB for some faceless candid shots I took of Dan at work.
    This year, he was nice enough to pose for me!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Ace photographer (and good sport), Mr. Dan Greenberg!

[​IMG]

Well, okay...How's this?

[​IMG]

(BTW, talented and popular freelance photo-journalist Dallas Gregory can also be seen in the first picture, in black shirt and ponytail).

straykatkustoms likes this.
  18. Great stuff, 'Mo. Aside from a profound respect for the History and Craftsmanship of Customs, I've always gravitated more toward "HOT-RODS". Guess it's just a personal thing, can't really explain it, but it's nice to see your take on the event with more of a focus on these particular works of art. Well written, thanks for taking the time to enlighten us all.......Don.

'Mo likes this.
  19. 'Mo

'Mo

A few more to fill in, til the real picture guys' work starts hitting the main board.

This Merc might be at home not only in the "mild Customs" thread, but in the "Classy Customs" thread, as well!

[​IMG]

The Lincoln tail lights are absolutely perfect for this ride.
    [​IMG]

Icing on the cake!
    [​IMG]

20. 'Mo

'Mo

How about the sneaky chop on this two door post '56 Chevy! Hardtop windshield, maybe?
    [​IMG]

Another cool Chevy. This photo doesn't capture the striking 'bass boat' metalflake paint job (just like in the sixties.)
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Thanks for posting. My wife and I are coming over from Aus for the revival in 2016. It is our 20th wedding anniversary present to each other.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

'Mo likes this.
  22. 'Mo

'Mo

Thank you so much for the kind words Don. I really appreciate it!

23. morac41

morac41

Hi Mo .... Thanks for your intelligent discriptions and great photos

'Mo likes this.
  24. 'Mo

'Mo

That's heartwarming, Blackroad! Thanks for sharing!
    Needless to say, TRJ show really is a great event.

25. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, morac41!
    That's a great looking track roadster in your Avatar. I'll be sure and check your albums!

26. 'Mo

'Mo

I'm sorry I didn't take down the information, but this was an early piece , built on a Lincoln platform, I believe. (The hood resembles a '41 Continental.)

The body was hand made from steel, formed over a buck. Does anyone here know more?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. 'Mo

'Mo

You don't often see a full custom with a hood ornament, but this trick piece brought me in for a closer look.
    (Okay, A chopped fastback has got my attention anyway!)
    It's difficult to see, but the rear hood corners are rounded, as well as the front.

[​IMG]

Innovative rear treatment, as well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Kustom.Falcon and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Good job on the pictures, Mo! You picked some of the best. Blaine's Merc has seen more road miles than any4 customs you could pick! It truly is an amazing story!
    The hand built car is a whole different story. Built by an engineer down south, it was purchased by John D'Angelo, who also owns one of "Joe the Fonze" cars, and that chopped purlpe Chevy that McPhail (I think) built..
    It runs on a 79 Lincoln Town car chassis, and was built from steel that is about 1/8" thick. Lots of tubular reinforcing, as well...can you say "overbuilt?" Even the trim is thick and held on with 3/8" bolts welded to the backsides. All hand made aluminum. The hood is so heavy it needs 2 big hydraulic rams to open, you litterally could not do it manually. John is thinking about repainting it, as the body and paint is not really perfect, and no an appealing color. He approached me about doing the job, but I don't know if it is really going to happen.
    The Polynesian gave me chills seeing it in person as well! Even after having seen the clone, youo can sense the history of the real one.
    The fastback Olds was amazing, if not really a traditional car. Lots of fine craftsmanship there.
    I also was amazed seeing the Black Pearl in person. A real work of art, even if not considered a true custom by most. I know what it takes to form panels to patch a car, and that car was completely hand made by Marcel DeLay and Sons. Two thumbs up to Rick Dore and James Hetfield for cpmpleting that masterpiece!

'Mo likes this.
  29. lmftfy ...
    Dan Greenberg @ TRJ Revival \'14 - HDR.jpg :D

49ratfink, 'Mo and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. 'Mo

'Mo

LOL!!!! That, my friend, is just too funny!

See Dan? I tried not to blow your cover!

HEMI32 likes this.