Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Customs and interior colors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 21, 2019.

?

What color interior for mama's 55?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2019.
  1. All white

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. All white with red piping

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Red with white inserts

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. White with red inserts

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Solid red

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Mark.

Moriarity likes this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-1-27_4-17-15.png The stock 1958 Impala interior
    Hello,

If it wasn’t for Sure Fit Clear Plastic Seat Covers in the red interior of our black 58 Impala, those seats would have been toast with the Levis and drag racing/hot rod oils that cling to just about everything. In late 1959 and into the 1960 season, the black Impala became our tow vehicle for our 40 Willys, 671 SBC, C/Gas coupe build. So, it was full of extra oils, parts and tires every weekend. Those clear covers saved the day, for sure!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...m-days-gone-by.428585/page-5115#post-12471027 Sure Fit

Luckily, the Ford Sedan is your wife’s car, so she will probably keep it cleaner than most. The color red hides marks and dirt fairly well, but I was a fanatic about clean seats. My finicky mother would not let us wear our Levis longer than a few days. We had extra pairs and she washed them twice a week. She was very persistent. We have all heard of the “Hot Rod Levis” standing up in the corner by them selves. Not in our house…!

In our group of hot rods and cruisers, three cars had pure white tuck and roll. At the time, no one thought of contrasting stitching. (Especially in TJ.) The early customs all had pure white upholstery in their cars and they set the pace for our future hot rod ideas. All three of the cruisers/hot rods had the white upholstery that competed with blue jean levis and hot rod dirt. So, it was constantly cleaning the white, as it stood out just looking into the windows.

If the cleaning of the white upholstery was lax for a week or so, to most, it was not noticeable. But, for some of us, it stood out like a black eye. My stock, red, Impala upholstery stayed cleaner due to the Sure Fit Seat Covers. But, if I had enough money, I had plans to get some black tuck and roll inserts where that funky multi-color pattern was from the factory AND not use those plastic seat covers. (being a black 58 Impala and all...)

(the seat covers kept my Impala interior super clean for 8 years until I sold it in 1965. In the summers, it was slightly hot and sticky, but the continued cleanliness over rode the sticky backs.)

Jnaki

Your wife would probably have a say in what color and pattern she would like. But, if it is all white smooth surfaces, the usual women’s, massive collection of blue jeans will eventually rub off on that pristine white surface…So, that is to be considered. Or she (or you on command) will be constantly cleaning the surface daily. For us, it is red over white with some patterns to our liking or contrasting stitching. That should be easier on the eyes and constant cleaning.