Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Custom trim

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by King Karl, Jan 22, 2014.

1. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I'm looking to get ideas on side trim for a 50 Chevy fleetline project. Not looking to get too crazy with it but just a mild custom.
    Anyway, I know that many of you have swapped trim from just about every car imaginable and I would like to see some pics if you have them. Right now looking at side trim but any pics or ideas would be welcome. Also if you would tell me what make & model the donor car was that would be helpful. They don't necessarily need to be 49-52 or even Chevy's for that matter.
    Some ideas may translate well to the Chebby.

Much appreciated.
    KK

2. Squablow

Squablow

My girlfriend's 51 has '55 Buick Special trim on it. We only used the front fender, door, and forward rear quarter panel pieces. The lower one had to be cut to fit and the front fenders of the Chevy had to be notched for clearance, but I really like the look.

Here's her car with the paint job photoshopped into place, the second pic is the mockup pic with the trim in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's all cut and fit now, the car is in fill primer and should be painted soon.

3. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

4. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Looks killer! Are you going with the two tone green just like in the Photoshop version?

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

I'm gonna get a bunch-o-shit for this, but to alleviate any confusion (since you put this into the "traditional" forum), and so the younger guys learn this stuff correctly ...

"Trim" is what you have on the INSIDE of your car ... The carpets, upholstery, headliner, etc.
    Exterior "Moldings" is what you have on the OUTSIDE of your car ... Stainless, chrome, do-dads like that ...

6. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks for the compliments!

Yes, the dark body over light lower is the color scheme she decided on. Her original thought was dark green on the roof and under the trim, and light green on the rest of the body, but seeing it in the photoshopped version, the pic above is what she liked the best. I agree, too, although the other version looked nice as well, this was the pic of that setup.

[​IMG]

As for other ideas for side "moldings", 50ish Packard had a nice side spear that would look good on a 50 Chev. I have not seen a whole heck of a lot of other side trim ideas for these cars either, and I'm not a fan of just plain smoothed off sides, so I'd like to see some more examples as well.

7. AustinClarke

AustinClarke
    from FL

Nice car thanks for sharing, where is it.

8. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

The dark over light looks classy. Good choice!

Anyone else with swapped trim molding or different ideas?

I've been thinking that the 53 Bel Air trim would look nice on the 50, however it may throw off the lines of the fleetline at the rear of the car.
    The Buick trim seems to be my favorite so far, but I think it looks best with a two tone paint. Plans were to stay with solid black, with maybe some gold striping.

Thanks again.

9. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Back in 1957 I added 56 Buick trim to my car.

Attached Files:

10. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

That's one of my favorite cars. It's been my computer desktop pic for a while now. :)

11. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Thanks Karl .....

Here is another photo I found of it that was taken before the scallops were added. I think the Buick side trim has about the same slope as the roof line.

Wish they would have had digital cameras in the 50's.

Attached Files:

12. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Thanks for the pic Bullet Nose, you proved me wrong about the two tone. I looks great one solid color too.
    I have a question about that car... How much modification did you have to do to the 54 teeth to make them fit? From the first time I seen the pics of it I've been looking for a good set for mine.

Karl

13. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

long ago, on a 51 chevy Hdtp, i used the SS moldings from above the rear side window from a 52 chevy 2-dr sedan in a similar fashion as the buick molding shown earlier. mated it to the fender spear. it's just not as long.

14. senone

senone
    from Belgium

I'm currently in the process of getting parts to start my build, and I'm looking around at "molding" options too! I really like the simplicity of your design, but I do think the two tone is more classy and accentuates the body lines more. Just my thought! :)

15. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

As I remember, the teeth have almost the same shape as the 49/50 horizontal bar and I don't remember having a lot of trouble trying to make them fit. I came up with the idea to use them on my car and bought one from the Chevy dealer to test.

I think the two tone examples above look good on the Styleline 2 door sedan but I'm not sure how you would break the colors if you painted the Fleetline roof a different color. Under the trim should be easy and getting the colors the way you want should be easy with photoshop.

One thing I didn't think out when I was 16 or 17 and making plans for the car was the color. I wanted to paint it purple and did the dash in a color I liked. Then I went to Tijuana for the tuck & roll upholstry but they didn't have any purple vinyl. So I picked out a turquois and that's why the car was painted that color.

16. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Although the Buick trim seems to really complement the roof lines of a Fleetline, Here are some other ideas.

1953 Packard molding
    [​IMG]

Painted scallops without chrome moldings
    [​IMG]

Top molding from 54? Chevy mated with I think Desoto Molding
    [​IMG]

Another using scallops but with beltline chrome
    [​IMG]

No side chrome but two toned subtle with roof
    [​IMG]

Could not find any pics but what about using 56 Dodge side chrome but have it start about one third into the door of your Chevy and then slowly slide down toward the gravel shield area of the rear quarter. Not sure if I am being clear. Here is a pic of the Dodge side chrome, start with the portion on the front fender and place that on your door, Then use the Dodge rear quarter piece to finish the side of your chevy. Any photoshop guys willing to try this?[​IMG]

Good luck with your car.

17. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Steppin out, thanks for the ideas.
    I dont think that I've ever seen a fleetline two toned like that silver
    Also like the idea of the Dodge trim. If I'm following you it will have pretty much the same lines as the Buick trim. (and should be easier to find)

18. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Exactly what I was thinking. Should be able to find a 4 door with correct pieces and they are stainless so they should be in good shape.
    Good luck!!

19. Squablow

Squablow

Steppinout's first example is the Packard trim I was referring to, looks really good if you have the Pontiac beltline stainless on the Chevy, then they have the matching shark's fin.

As for the Dodge trim, I'd like to see that too, but the front fender piece is die cast, so if it doesn't match the shape of the door top, it's not going to fit.

20. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Question...
    Is the side trim from a 1954-1956 Buick all the same? I would just be using the front section like the above pics.

21. Squablow

Squablow

I think it has to be from a Special 2 door. The 4 door pieces won't fit except for the front fender ones, and the Super/Roadmaster doors I think are longer. Also, the rear quarter trim on a '54 is different, but that won't matter to you since you're not using those pieces. Any of the 3 years should work as long as it's from a Special 2 door (hardtop or post, won't matter).

22. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Much appreciated.

23. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

I plan to run '49-'50 Pontiac side trim...er, uh...'moulding' (haha) on my '50 Fleetline.

It's just like the Chevy moulding, but runs over the rear fender, instead of stopping on the rear quarter panel.

I don't have a picture...just Google it. It's nice looking.

24. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

That does look good. Always liked the Pontiacs.
    I'm leaning toward the Buick trim now but thinking of adding 49 Olds taillights.
    That should be just enough change for my taste.

25. Squablow

Squablow

I like the Pontiac trim mentioned above. If you got two sets of the rear quarter pieces, you could make a two-tone rear fender stripe that looks like a 53-54 Belair. Or just run it as one long trim without the stone guards, that would be real clean and help break up the mass of the sides of the Chevy.

26. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

SteppinOut,
    That's great idea. I don't think I have seen it done, either.
    I photochopped a '50 Fleetline with the Dodge trim. I played around moving the trim up and down and the front fender piece forward and back. Funny thing - they all looked pretty good!

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/davetartaglia/12773035503/player/ca64b7a9c1" height="404" width="800" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

27. paul hayes

paul hayes
    from Santee, CA

No pictures available but how about checking out some 1956 Plymouth Savoy 2 dr. stainless? Just four spears... both front fenders and doors. I stripped the stainless off my '56 Chrysler and mocked up the Plymouth pieces. They look great, understated and subtle.

28. teddyp

teddyp

here,s my 50 with the pont. belt molding and buick trim

Attached Files:

29. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Dammit you two! I had my mind made up until seeing this. Lol
    Classy.

30. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Rot'n

Here are a few pics of what I'm starting with if you get bored and want to throw some more ideas my way. Wish I had your talent for photoshop. Would make life much easier for sure.

If anyone could transplant the 54 Belair trim on the side I would appreciate it. Always thought that would look good and be different.

Attached Files: