Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom rear view mirror fabrication how to

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcat, Sep 15, 2004.

1. fastcat

fastcat

To go along with the custom steering wheel and turn signal lever I made for the Packard, I came up with a design for a rear view mirror. After working the design out on paper I drew it out on cardboard in full size. This helps me to get the dimensions I want to make it useable and to look good. The radius I ended up using came out to be 6 11/16". So I found a wheel(any round object capable of withstanding a torch) that had the correct dimension. I bent a section of 1/4" round bar around the wheel using the torch to keep the rod red hot while I bent it. I then cut out the pieces I needed to make the frame of the mirror.

Attached Files:

2. fastcat

fastcat

Once I was satisfied with the fit I tack welded the pieces together. Once tack welded check the frame to make sure it lies flat, not twisted. Then fully weld the seams together and grind the welds to get smooth seams.

Attached Files:

3. fastcat

fastcat

I then needed to fabricate a way of letting the mirror pivot up and down. I didnt want the pivot brackets to look machined, I wanted a more hand fabricate look. I took the 1/4" round bar and heated the end, approx. 1", until it was ref hot. I the hammered it flat using a hammer on an anvil. Reheating may be neccesary in order to fine tune the flat. Hammer on both sides of the flat so it will stay in the center of the rod.

Attached Files:

4. fastcat

fastcat

I then ground the flats smooth as well as rounded and cleaned up the edges. I made two of these that were approx. 1 1/2" long. TIP: cut everything long when fabricating as it is easy to cut it shorter. Once cut off I drilled a hole in each and tapped it with 10-32 threads. At this point i shortened them to the length I felt they needed to be. In order to make sure both were identical length from the tapped hole to the edge I screwed them both onto a long 10-32 screw and ground them together as the same time. This will ensure the mirror will be able to pivot freely without binding. Once gound I welded them onto the backside of the mirror frame.

Attached Files:

5. fastcat

fastcat

I then had a helper hold the mirror in the car while I decided how long to make the bracket. Once I decided on a length I heated and flattened two sections of rod. Smoothed and cleaned up the flats and edges same as the last two. I then drilled through holes through each large enough for the 10-32 screws to pass through. The design I came up with required the flats to be bent at an angle. I heated up the rod red hot where I wanted it bent while it was in the vise and bent each one equally. Once bent I mounted them on the mirror frame.

Attached Files:

6. fastcat

fastcat

I then cut a length of rod that will become the horizontal pivot and center frame work for the hanger, and welded it in place making sure it was centered on the frame and between the two side rods. Remember cut long so you have plenty to work with.

Attached Files:

7. fastcat

fastcat

I then cut and fit ll of the webs and welded them in place. The smoothed out the welds. I also gound the center where it ends to a point. I bent the rod using the torch around an old diesel engine piston I found in the junk yard.

Attached Files:

8. fastcat

fastcat

I then trimmed the mounting end to the proper length and cut threads on it using a 1/4" X28 die. I then took it to the car and determined how much bend I wanted in the threaded end. I ended up heating and bending it a couple times to get the mirror to mount in the location I dsired.

Attached Files:

9. fastcat

fastcat

Next I covered it with some metal based filler and sand it down to smooth out the seams a little. As I just built this this afternoon I have yet to get a miece of mirror for it. I have a few mirror mounting options that I have not yet decided on but will once I have the mirror in hand. Your local picture framing store should be able to help you with getting the mirror cut and fit. Here is how it looks thus far in the car.

Attached Files:

10. fastcat

fastcat

Here is a pic of it together. It is covered in the filler I use and has not yet been sanded down

Attached Files:

11. fastcat

fastcat

BTTT anyone have pics of custom mirrors thay have made?

12. Will you be attaching a back plate to hold the mirrored glass in place?

13. fastcat

fastcat

my options were
    1. to weld in a couple bars behind and let the mirro set on top of them and then use some bend tabs on the front.

2. use bend tabs front and rear

3. plate the back and inset the mirror.

14. TINGLER

TINGLER

Fastcat,
    You are a fabricatin' mofo...

I don't see why you couldn't plate the back and just glue the mirror in place. I'm sure you can get some sort of super duper glue that will stick to glass.

I bet silicon would even work. FWIW.

COOL STUFF.
    Definitely stimulates the grey matter.

VT.

15. Bitchin! It looks like the powdercoaters are gonna luv you when you take all of that to be coated. [​IMG]

Reverend Jake

16. fastcat

fastcat

Actually I do all of my own powdercoating. Love that eastwood kit. I have done everything on the packard with it and a IR light. including the frame.

Attached Files:

17. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

So that eastwood kit is really worth a shit. How did you cook the whole frame.

18. fastcat

fastcat

I used an IR (Infra-red) light to bake the frame. Took a long time but it works. You have to keep moving the light every 15 or 20 min and progreee down the fram. this is a pic of the front of my cougar I did.

Attached Files:

19. tragic59

tragic59

Dude, you NEED to do a tech-o-matic post on that powdercoating process. Or at least describe it in detail here.

I have a VERY basic understanding of how the powder coating process works, but can't imagine doing my entire frame in my garage with an infrared light...

Let's see some more pictures of your results as well.

20. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

Nice mirror. I too would like to hear more on the powder coating.

21. fc ute

fc ute

i like the way you describe how you do everything, makes it look easy.
    would like to here more about the diy powdercoating