Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom painting engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Guapo, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Ok. I have a question I can hopefully get answered. I've noticed that some awsome cars have beautifully painted engines. Not rattle can paint, but what seems to be Candies and flakes. Are they using some special paint or is it just regular car paint. And if so, does it hold up to the daily use and heat? I'd love to see more pics of some bad ass painted engines. Let's see 'em!!

2. MeanMike

MeanMike

I paint a lot of bikes, Trumpets and HD's, and have had no problems using House Of Kolor on the motors. These are air cooled, so they get a lot hotter than a car engine. The main thing is surface prep and the motor has to be spotless.

3. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

The base color of regular two stage car paint works well. Just the color with no clear. The heat of the engine bakes the paint on. It burns off the really hot areas like exhaust ports and intake crossovers, but even the so-called high temp stuff does that too.

As already mentioned, just make sure that everything is clean and free of grease and other contaminants.

Here's the engine in my '62 Pontiac done in this method:

[​IMG]

4. I've had great luck using epoxy primer and acrylic enamel paint. Both cook on into a rock hard finish. Stinks during the "cooking" process. but then, all motors do, even unpainted factory crate engines.