Register now to get rid of these ads!

custom or not? a 49 ford thing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Revhead, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

What stuff was included on the "custom" model for '49 fords? Mine has little chrome decorations on the upper parts of the interior door trim, radio, heater, horn ring, and some other stuff, but is missing the trim pieces where custom would have been written. How else can I find out what model it is?

2. hankcash

hankcash

As far as I know, The main difference it that the custom said "custom" on the trim....
    HC

Attached Files:

3. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

This is what i was told from my grandfather who bought em' new.
    There where four ttrim oackages you could select from

1. Deluxe
    2. Custom
    3. Custom Deluxe
    4. Standard

The diferences being where as follows
    1. Deluxe - Top of the line trim package and paint package.
    2. Custom - You where allowed to 2 deluxe upgrades of your choosing i.e. the name "Custom"
    3. Custom Deluxe - Top of the line interior trim but no paint options.
    4. Standard - No options
    So there you have it. at least thats what Grandpa says.

4. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Oh yea. Only the Customs wore the different "Custom" front spear so that people would not get confussed about what trim package someone had when they saw one on the street and went to the dealership to buy one (i.e. seeing a car with upgraded Deluxe interior and a clock but no radio or paint, they would see the custom badge and know that the person picked those options and that it was not a factory trim package).

5. Maybe one of my favorite books, The V8 Album by the Early V8 Ford Club of America, lies! But it claims that there were the Deluxe and the Custom Deluxe, and a Custom Crestliner. Not any Standard or Custom. The Custom DeLuxe had 4 more paint that was available on the Custom DeLuxe only (as well as 12 paint options on both Deluxe and Custom DeLuxe). Can it be that your grandfather mixed them with the earlier years of Fords?

A check at the Early V8 Ford club´s forum Webbplats did give me the save answer, as well as the production runs:

Deluxe Business Coupe, Model 0A-72C = 35,120

Deluxe Tudor Sedan, Model 0A-70A = 126,770

Deluxe Fordor Sedan, Model 0A-73A = 77,888

Custom Deluxe Club Coupe, Model 0A-72B = 85,111

Custom Deluxe Tudor, Model 0A-70B = 398,060

Custom Crestliner, Model 0A-70C = 17,601

Custom Deluxe Fordor Sedan, Model 0A-73B = 247,181

Custom Deluxe Convertible Coupe, Model 0A-76 = 50,299

Custom Deluxe Station Wagon, Model 0A-79B = 22,929

Though another of my books calls the Custom Deluxe just Custom. But that book, Encyclopedia of American Cars, do lack in correctness of details in a lot of places even though it was written partly by Richard M Langworthh, a great automotive historian...

I realy like to get the correct details about this, any other experts in this field out there?

6. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Excellent info. I'm gonna check out series number tomorrow (if I can find it) and find out for sure. I don't know what other options it could have but it seems to have all the holes filled. Clock, radio, heater, O/D, trim everywhere, little trim on the doors, etc.

7. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Who knows, maybe he did confuse it with a different model year, he is old. But he seemed the best source to go to since he's been buyin' em new since '36. And always Fords, never chevys.

8. I think those are for galaxie rear taillight housing on the front or just custom rings made for the headlights. like the ones on zoochis 57. I know they are not 56 ring for sure