Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom Model A wood kits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nailhead dodge roadster, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I am on the road with my job so my time to search the site has been real limited. Does anyone know of a company that can build a custom wood body kit for a '30-'31 model A pickup? All dimentions are same as original but I want to use a different hard wood then what the major manufactures use. The wood will be sanded, smoothed and varnished like on an old boat and used an a major part of my interior design on my little pickup, so I would like to use something that is going to have an interesting color and grain pattern.

Any info would be appreciated, I know i could make up my own kit but my wood skills are alot worse then my metal working....and my metal working isn't all that great.

2. what wood do you want to use? i think most wood kits use ash or oak

i'd contact the makers and see if they do custom work

3. Honduras or philippine mahogany.....hard to get, not cheep and I don't want to have to worry about who I've got doing the work.

It is a gorgeous hard wood when varnished and polished, add a contrasting inlay in the header panel and top bows and it'll make for a unique start to my interior.

4. charlieb66

charlieb66

Is the cost of any concern to you? If you are willing to pay, I just might be your woodworking pal.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sounds like you might have to hire a cabinet maker, and pay his price to do custom work.
    It will be expensive, but worth it if you get the right guy..problem is most of these guys that do this work have it down to an art, so its their name going on the work..guess what im saying is be prepaired to be shot down, or have sticker shock if you find "the" the guy that is worth his abilities.

And with the expense of the high dollar wood, and the artist knowing this it will also come with a price.

Good luck, hope to see you post it up, sounds like a nice project.

6. The cost isn't my main worry right now. The quality of the work and color/grain of the wood is what I want. The project is still in the planning phase, so I don't have much to go on other then asking a few questions.

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

My 27 T coupe roof kit from Howell's was oak and what looks like Poplar! :(

8. Everyone of the major kits I've found advertise as oak or ash, but they don't specify what you get. Either way its not the look im going for on this truck.