Register now to get rid of these ads!

custom hot rod dash from ordinary parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noland, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Noland

Noland

I just bought a new tig welder and I figured I should do a project to get the feel for my new machine. I wanted to make a dash for my next model A hot rod. I wanted something neat but different so I had a 32 chevy standard dash to start with that I picked up at the swapmeet but I didnt like the center it was ugly. So I got a cluster out of a old ford truck that I thought had some charactor. putting them together was the tricky part. It took a bit of cutting.
    [​IMG]
    the original ford part. It was to way too big .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so I cut out the hole for the vacum guage but it was still just to big.
    [​IMG]
    so off with the other side and shorted it up to.
    [​IMG]
    I thought it still looked funny so I decided to chop the top of it alittle .
    [​IMG]
    I think that looks alittle more car like and not so truck. I felt the guages still needed to get a little hot rod charactor so I scored these crappy guages but I thought the faces were nice.
    [​IMG]
    So I decided to just put the faces on my factory ford guages.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alright back the the dash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still thought it was missing something. I wanted a glovebox. so I was able to get a volkswagon beetle glovebox and all the hinges and stuff. so after alittle cutting the glovebox was ready to go into the dash.
    [​IMG]
    and with just alittle more cutting and welding and fitting the glovebox was part of the dash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still have lots of finish grind to do I did get the glovebox latch and button mounted but my crappy camera battery died.

2. Bilt

Bilt

That turned out really good. I like how you got the new dash and glove box to line up so well with the body line above them in the original dash. Looks good!!!

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very nice work ! I like low buck stuff like this great work!

4. Noland

Noland

Thanks, yea it only cost me 20 bucks for the dash and the rest of the stuff was free. times adding up really fast though. Im not sure if I should put a radio on the left or not, still unsure

5. aircap

aircap

6. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Nice job-all kinds of Possibilities !!

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GREAT job. Good eye for seeing the possibilities in the creative use of low buck parts This is why I love the HAMB

8. Noland

Noland

Ive been busy working on all kinds of stuff. Though I did find a little time to get back on this dash project. I got the switchs and instruments all resolved. I got the headlight and wiper switchs from a 54 chrysler and the ignition switch is from a box truck but it uses a gm key though Ive never seen one in a gm pick up or car. I also got a speedo out of a early ford bronco. it was pretty much a bolt in piece. I liked it better than the other boring black and white speedo. Check it out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still have some more welding to do and fill a few holes in the dash.

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cool, cant wait to see it all painted up!

10. Black Primer

Black Primer

Back to basics, home built hot rod parts. Wish there were more threads like this. Thanks.

11. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

^^^^^^^^x2:)

12. sskustoms

sskustoms

Nice work , can't wait to see it done

13. Good thinking, I like it !

14. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Thats using your head.

15. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

16. where the finish product . .

17. I like it. Nice workmanship.

18. Noland

Noland

Thanks guys for the support. Im just trying to make something cool with the parts I can get.

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Great job. This is also how someone can develop and hone their skills with torch and welder and fabrication.

20. That turned out pretty darn nice!

21. Noland

Noland

little update to this thread. I got the glove box made up. its fairly simple I made it from some 20 ga tin. I decided to put my fuse panel in the back of it so I dont have to lay on my back to change a fuse. The fuse panel is from a monza( I modified it alittle)

[​IMG]

I also put a light in it so I can see what I have in there. I made a little box mounted on the side that a dash light mounts in then the light shines threw 4 1/2" holes in the side of the glove box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]