Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Custom guys- sexiest hubcaps ever?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Roothawg, Aug 9, 2018.

1. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

2. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Got these 58 Edsel caps over here in the UK , they were drilled for spinners but they were missing and rare over here so had to fill the holes with something then found these mini rockets that work in well with the 50s theme

3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Like the idea. Might give that a try. Mine were originally painted in the 50's and I want to reproduce that look. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

It’s something like a 51 Desoto, that I put a bullet cone on. D88C8FC2-D94B-409C-9054-DE33B1578A9A.jpeg

5. I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I thought I'd share a picture of the 'caps on my non-HAMB friendly Merc.
    I added an accessory bullet and a few drawer pulls to some old Plymouth Satellites. Must have been an ok idea, as the KKOA powers that be said they were the "Most Spectacular Hubcaps" at the 40th. An unexpected surprise that I never saw coming. It was just the cherry on top of a "Spectacular" weekend! E

my caps.jpe

6. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Attached Files:

7. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Can’t go wrong with Oldsmobile fiestas

TagMan likes this.
  8. Squeak Bell

Squeak Bell

I made these out of mid '50's Packard full wheel covers and grafted in a '40 Ford Standard 'skin'......more rings than URANUS...!!! Cheers,Squeak.

Attached Files:

ElmCityGeoff, bob-o, Dan Hay and 4 others like this.
  9. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

These are the sexiest in my opinion 20200618_135319.jpg

10. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

They are definitely vibrators!

mikhett likes this.
  11. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Kustom Khrysler

DSCN6021.JPG
    DSCN6022.JPG

BigRRR, Chris Nantus, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

There are many great options. The problem with some of them is getting them in a 15" size, which IMHO is the only proper wheel side on a 1950's era car, unless you're running Astros

mikhett, OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  13. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Agreed. I am in the 15" only camp. I know that a few brands went to 14" in the late 50's. If I ever had one, I'd get a set of 15's to be able to run some cool covers.

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'll nominate these. They're '56 Chrysler accessory spinners. They are generally similar to other spinners of the mid-'50s, like Fiestas and Lancers, but they are vastly less common. I've never seen another set used on a custom:
    FullSizeRender.heic.jpeg

15. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Those are magnificent! I see them on that online auction site, which is where I grabbed these pics. A combination of Kool, pricey and rare. Were they only for a specific model, like a LeBaron, or could you get them added (at the dealership) to a regular '56 New Yorker?

They appear to be based off of the more common stainless wheel cover with a pot-metal, one-piece, 3-blade spinner bolted to it. I guess I can't see from the pics if the blades are cast separate or as part of the center.

56ChryslerBack.jpg
    56ChryslerTop.jpg
    56Chrysler.jpg

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've seen them advertised with one of the Chrysler model names attached (like New Yorker or Windsor), but I don't know if they were exclusive to that model. I have seen them with two different center designs -- my 4 have the same red centers as shown in your 2nd picture, and I have a single with the same design as your 3rd picture, but with a more colorful paint deco.

You are correct that they are basically the same stainless cover as your 3rd picture. Although they look similar to the 1st generation Lancers, they are a completely different stamping. The die-cast spinner is a single piece, with the blades cast integrally with the center cone. The spinners are among the worst die-castings I've ever seen, with reference to the horrible pitting. I had one good chrome shop refuse to take them because of the pitting. I ended up sending them to a midwest shop who did an excellent job, but at a huge cost. As I recall, it was something like $700 to have 5 parts plated. I have over $1000 in the full set of 4; I doubt that I would do it again.

OG lil E, Sancho and 54delray like this.
  17. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Thanks so much for the detailed info on these. I learned something new.

I've got several of the 1st generation Lancers and they too have the pitting problem on the pot metal centers.

That might just be worth the grand you got in them ... or maybe just priceless!!!

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  18. ezrodder1

ezrodder1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I don’t know the manufacturer of these. Found them at a swap meet. Running them on my 53 customline in my avitar.

Attached Files:

19. Clydesdale

Clydesdale

Picked up these Lincoln Capri covers the other week.

Rough ones will go out back behind the skirts, fronts will get the nice ones but with a bullet in the centre as they wont fit over the drum snout right now.
    caps.jpg

Gambler 1962 and 54delray like this.
  20. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Like this? Cool choice but I'm not sure if the bullet will solve your clearance issue.

DSCN6014.JPG This is a medium size bullet but they all attach the same way. Drill out a small hole in the center for the bolt. It has to stick through enough to put a washer/nut on, which will actually reduce the clearance of the dust cap

21. Clydesdale

Clydesdale

Yea that's my plan, I had already thought of a solution to the mounting problem, I'll gut the inside of the bullet, panel bond a strap inside that follows the inside contour down to a 90° bend with captive nuts ;)

Cool to see my idea in real life though, thankyou sir

Sancho and 54delray like this.
  22. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Love it. Custom car guys and hot rodders will always find a solution to look cool or go fast!! HAMB on!

23. 58prostreet

58prostreet

I had same problem on some 56 Imperial caps . I sectioned the dust cap about 1/4in. and it clears

OG lil E, 54delray and Clydesdale like this.
  24. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like a statue that identifies as a hubcap.:confused:

25. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

I have always liked the Stude Caps, I have a nice set available. (pm me if interested)
    Stude Caps 1.jpg

Attached Files:

26. millersgarage

millersgarage

Roothawg likes this.
  27. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

28. 1low52

1low52

29. I picked these up this summer. I think they’re Oldsmobile (?). I like them.
    IMG_0716.jpeg IMG_0717.jpeg IMG_0718.jpeg

30. Rarefish383S

Rarefish383S

I had a 64 Riviera, that was a factory 425 2-4 barrel car. It had Finned Aluminum hub caps with spinners in the center. Only problem was, the hub caps bolted to the wheel. The spinners popped off to expose the lugs. The people that had the car before me, never told the gas station that the hub caps bolted to the wheel. They always put the rookie on tires, and they popped chunks of the aluminum rim out, trying to pry them off. Looking for pics?