Register now to get rid of these ads!

custom exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dyoung, Nov 10, 2008.

1. dyoung

dyoung
    from Goliad, TX

Has anyone ever put glasspacks, turbo mufflers, or any other kind of muffler on a 62 lincoln. My exhaust has some rust issues and its time for a whole new system. Everyone that I have talked to says that anything other than factory exhaust sounds like crap on those cars. I haven't heard one myself. I dont really want my car to be very loud. After all, those 60s Lincolns were known for being nice and quiet. I can't really afford to replace the factory exhaust right now so Im looking for an alternative. Ive been to several muffler shops and have been quoted from $1000 to $1700. Its easier to live with exhaust leaks than come up with that. It would be a lot cheaper to run some 30 inch glasspacks but I dont know what it sounds like. I dont want to ruin the overall look and feel of my car. Any help would be great.

2. dyoung

dyoung
    from Goliad, TX

Anyone have some ideas?

3. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

It's a Lincoln with a normal firing order. I don't see why it would sound like crap?

Turbo mufflers are cheap, but they'll sound like stock, maybe 1 step above stock. It barely be noticeable.

Long glasspacks may sound ok, but I wouldn't run 'em on my stuff.

A nice flowmaster would sound good, and with that engine it shouldn't sound too much like a Mustang. I'd go with a flowmaster 50 series if you wanted it mellow. 40 series if you want it to sound more like a hotrod.

With as long as that car is, it shouldn't be too loud. That's a lot of pipe. lol.

1000-1700 sounds a bit high too. Are you having them build it from the exhaust manifolds back? If the pipe is still good from the exhaust manifold down to the first bend, that should save you some money. If you want flowmasters, go to craigslist and pickup a used set. Flowmasters don't ever wear out, and i've picked up a pair of 'em for 40 bucks before. They actually sound better when they're broken in. Less "pingy".

My 2 cents.

4. groove

groove
    from kelowna BC

Glasspacks are OK, but your going to get that glasspack sound...their glasspacks ya know! If your looking for a nice quite tone, order a universal muffler from Summit or a Walker from your local muffler shop. Should be 30 bucks or so plus a couple of 2$ clamps.
    Alternativley, you could fab up your own system if you have access to a welder and some universal bends...not too difficult to do.

5. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Though I have been out of the exhaust business for a few years while I've been schlepping used houses that seems like a lot of $$$$ to me and think you could get something custom bent for a bunch less.

That being said, glass packs or the cheapie turbo mufflers will definitely NOT sound Lincolnesque. There's no reason you can't look at an interchange book and come up with a stock full-size car style muffler that will fit and be quiet though.

Even an original style real live Corvair turbo muffler (the old part number I used to use was M 1365, Goerlich) wouldn't be too loud or backrap too much, as long as you use a balance pipe (H or X pipe) up front.

So, what I would do is head over to the nearest muffler emporium like a Meineke (where they bend 75% of their stuff anyway) or friendly independent guy and ask for some custom duals with quiet mufflers and an H-Pipe.

It should cost you a lot less than you've been quoted. If they charge you more than 3-500 bucks they're screwing you, shoot, I used to do them for $250 and less.

Al (still have my bender) in CT

6. My Dad's '62 Lincoln had cheapo turbo-style mufflers on it when he bought it...they sound fine. The car is otherwise stock.

The '61-'65 (at least) Lincolns have famously expensive exhausts to replace, but a good shop should be able to localize the leaks an patch it up, and just save your coins for a full exhaust when the time is right...

You aren't going to realize any noticable power gains in my opinion, as these are a torque monster, even running the stock 2 barrel carb (1961-1962)...

Just my opinion...

7. dyoung

dyoung
    from Goliad, TX

Thanks. I think I may try some kind of mellow turbo muffler.

8. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

A set of Smithies to replace the stock mufflers and have the system patched. Im thinking a very sweet sound!

9. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

$1000 for exahaust on a 62 lincon???? Really? Unless you talking a full mandral bent stainless system I cant see it.... Even then?

I wouldn't want it very loud myself because of what it is, and for that reason don't put glasspacks on it whatever you do.

Sounds like all you need is a true dual all the way to the rear w/a set of magnaflows, w/an h-pipe, or x-pipe. Just did that on my 70 Merc conv. (390) and it sounds great. Not too loud, but just enough to sound right.

10. did my 57 ford about 375 total. I only had the stock manifolds and small pieces of the original exhaust ends that connect to the manifolds, you shouldn't pay over 500.00 bucks. otherwise your getting hosed. Unless your gettin stainless or some special mandrel bends and H pipe going on.