Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom engine paint???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Henry Floored, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Hey guys I need some advice on painting a Flatmotor. For the first time ever I'm gonna try to avoid the "rattlecan" and go for a custom mixed color. Can you recommend prep, primer, paint and or additives that you have used to success. This engine has iron heads so they will be painted as well. Thanks in advance!

2. 8mpg

8mpg
    from Texas

I have always just gone to a paint store and asked for a certain color mixed as an acrylic enamel... They can put it in a spray can if you wanted them to. As far as putting down the paint, I have always sprayed straight over the bare metal, never primed it. A paint guy told me acrylics dont always need a primer

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Simply clean it and spray urethane BC...no clear. If boiled in a tank, use Pre-kleano, then spray it with "Bulldog" or lacquer thinner to make it stick and spray urethane BC...no need for sealer or primer...I've done several engines this way and it doesn't come off...

R-

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I did the same wiyt no primer on my roadster in 1996 and it is still stuck.

5. Retrorod

Retrorod

We did this thing with just some rattle can self etching primer on the block and pan in a charcoal grey, the heads and intake are bead blasted and powdercoated with Eastwood's high-temp powder. So far it's gone about 1000 miles and still looks great. Flower wanted that "industrial" look.

Attached Files:

6. DRD57

DRD57

First you get out the carbide burrs, hard rolls, and roloc discs and grind on that sumbitch 'til it's smooth as a baby's butt.

[​IMG]

Then you spray DP epoxy primer and Concept base coat on it so it looks like this.

[​IMG]

Then you spray DBU2021 clear on it so it looks like this.

[​IMG]

Then you bolt the shiny stuff on it so it looks like this.

[​IMG]

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow that Cadillac is fuuuuuuuucking cool.

8. Badass

Badass

How long does base coat clear coat last on a motor?

What is your favorite brand/type of paint for custom colors on motors?

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

10. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

I found two colors in Ford Taurus paint charts that were close to the original colors Arthur used on the Raven and had single stage mixed to gun spray and also had some stuffed into rattle cans. There was a dark green and a lighter, silvery green.

I just cleaned the motor real well and used a high temp engine primer (in a rattle can) to lay down a base. Then the color with a gun. I think I put on about three light coats; not too heavy but enough for good coverage. I used rattle cans for the little pieces, touch ups, etc.

I've been using regular single stage acrylic enamels for years with excellent results.
    Good luck,
    Joe

Attached Files:

11. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

DRD57

That's a pretty engine

12. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I'm with DRD57 on this one....the DP epoxy primer not only makes it stick better....but it will help with paint coverage. Castings are not smooth, and the primer/sealer will help "fill' these imperfections. Plus, epoxy is very strong and impervious to gas, oil, etc. I have painted several engines this way, and had no problems at all. One thing to note, the bare cast has got to be super clean....just like any other painting project, if its not super clean, paint won't stick. Plus, this way you can have any color mixed you want! If you want to save a step, you can opt for a single stage urethane over the epoxy primer.....one less thing you have to buy, plus it covers a little better than basecoat.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Apple green BCCC.

[​IMG]

single stage Champagne gold.

I only had peeling problems on one engine in 30 years. I used primer to try and fill some of the pits. Since then I never use primer on an engine. I believe you can get the paint too thick for the heat cycles of an engine.

14. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I used ppg epoxy primer and single stage urethane paint . It looks great and cleans up really nice.

Attached Files: