Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Custom dash help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglysteve, Feb 20, 2016.

1. So I've got a dash out of a 50 ford that I want to put in my 48 Plymouth. It's about 8-10 inches wider than the Plymouth dash so I'll need to shorten it for sure, which I already kind of have an idea of how to do. But my main concern is mounting it in the car. So I have a question for anyone that's done this type of thing before.

Since I'm cutting it up anyways would it be easier to cut sort of the perimeter off my 48 dash with all the mounting holes and the correct shape and graft the 50 ford dash into that? Or just figure out how to do it just with the 50 ford dash and leave the Plymouth dash alone?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I assume that the MOPAR dash can be unbolted and simply removed, both are split screen with chevron ('V') shape at screen. Personally I'd want the column to bolt up as per OEM on bottom edge. Depends on your metal skills. Make a template or use a miter gauge or protractor to determine actual angle at peak
    upload_2016-2-21_22-34-12.jpeg

[​IMG]

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

When I adapted a 53 Buick dash to my 47 Chevy, I just made a template of the edge I needed to fit the Chevy, and trimmed the Buick to fit, after shortening the Buick. Saved a lot of welding, on an almost flat area. I did have to "tip" the edge up slightly to lay flat under the windshield trim. So even if your cuts aren't the nicest, they're hidden!

4. 1pickup

1pickup

I'm usually not the guy to say "don't cut that up," but the '48 Plymouth dash is pretty damn good looking in stock form.

Hnstray likes this.

5. I know I do like it but the car itself is so round everywhere and the dash has a lot of rectangular shapes and hard edges. I feel like having the round gauge cluster and everything fits the car better.