Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Custom Car History: Wild Child's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grim, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Here's a shot of Wild Child's mid-60's 3-wheeeler.

[​IMG]

2. Any more pictures ?

I grew up seeing the work of guys like James Green and Ed Roth as Iconic,
    Put me down for a copy of that book when you get there Jim .

3. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

Wow, Thanks for the info and posting these great photos.

4. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

That's Helmut Hauschild in the red shirt. He had a custom car and chopper shop in KC going back to the 70's.

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Cool Pictures.. and thanks for sharing..

6. I enjoy seeing the old (historic) photos more than the later photos. Thanks or posting.

This one really got my attention. I remember doin' sh!t like that in my younger days. As a matter of fact, I knew a guy who changed out a transmission on a '57 Chevy Wagon usin' only a bumper jack.

Look closely to see he who likes to hide wrenches, clog fuel lines, let air out of tires and generally likes to fvck with hot rodders ..... :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  7. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

My pops is an auto tech teacher at a high school he will be amazed at the safety taking place here its probably how he used to do it . Thanks for sharing those pics .

8. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  9. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

10. grim

grim

:(... Ray died.
    I'm crushed he's gone and I really miss him. I was going to do a post and tell everyone when it happened but I honestly haven't wanted to write about it; I just don't know how to show him the respect he deserves. We were pretty much his family so I doubt many people know of the news as it was a pretty quiet affair. Anyway, you might pass the word on. If you really knew the guy you'd want to do something bigger than imagination for him. He was a big deal in my life and it was a privilege to me to have him around. Everything I'll ever say is an understatement. If you're still interested in some stories hollar and I'll try and put together something like this thread.

11. grim

grim

Hey, thanks Tom Davison for the photos. I hear you have a real eye for style, thanks for sharing your time man it's great to have the pics. If you have any good stories you'd pass about the shop or Kansas City I wouldn't be the only one real curious to hear em'.

12. Abomination

Abomination

Here's a thread about it:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76295

~Jason

13. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

This one must continue. Luv the older photos.:D

14. Cabron

Cabron
    from California

I am going to add a few more pics from Wild Childs shop, Jim and I were pretty good friends when I lived in KC. I used to hang out at his shop as a teenager and took a few pics. These pictures are around 68 or 69
    The Riviera was built for his friend Dave and the Trike was just killer...the Purple pickup belonged to a guy named Sonny, I have some more but I have to scan them,,sorry guys for the quality

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  15. Cabron

Cabron
    from California

While i was in Vietnam Jim lowered and shaved my 64 Olds as a gift for me...When I got home I was blown away..no pictures survived the divorce wars unfortunately...The guy in the picture of the 59 is Steve Pierce who worked for Jim, very cool guy and a master fabricator..The 55 Chopped Chevy in the earlier post before mine, had a 59 Chevy rear window, it looked so good and I don't know that anyone else has ever done that treatment again
    The collection of pictures was on the Wall in Jims office and if you can blow up the photo you can see any number of the cars he built..that skinny kid standing by the motorcycle frame is me, in the background you can see some of his other trikes..Jim is very cool guy. img038.jpg

Attached Files:

16. mr.smith

mr.smith

great photos,

17. Rikster

Rikster

Carbon, thank you for posting those great photos.

That Purple pick up is still around today. And as far as I know owned by a Hamber...

Check out the Pick-Up Thread...

18. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Man, I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around. I was born in KC in '63 and lived in the area all my life until three years ago. (not including the time I spent in the Marine Corps). Wild Child's is a huge part of my childhood memories. My old man took me to car shows every time they came around and I remember seeing a lot of these cars back then. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Rumor has it, my dad had his '49 Ford business man's coupe chopped and louvered by those guys. My mom has a photo of my dad with his shoebox next to Liberty Memorial that looks remarkably similar to the one you posted. I'll see if I can borrow it and scan it.

I did some art work for Ray Farhner back in the early 90s. I think I may do a tribute piece sometime soon. Sometimes I really miss Kansas City.

19. Cabron

Cabron
    from California

I don't miss those miserable winters....brrrrr.

20. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

The very reason I'm now in Texas :D

21. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

this thread has truly inspired me...nice work

22. Cabron

Cabron
    from California

And me in California..so what high school did you go to in KC?

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I'm amazed that that torch work was being done with a welding tip rather than a cutting head on the torch. Imagine doing all that cutting with a welding tip?

24. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

As Wild Child's appears today. Notice the old louver sign still out front of the shop. This place just reaps of history if you saw the inside of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Is the building empty?

Chris

26. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

Chris,

Nope, but maybe Greene can chime in and give an update cuz there is a small real estate yard sign out front.

27. grim

grim

Yeah I hate to say it but Wild Child's has officially closed the doors. The very last of the customer vehicles were just recently picked up. Jim's mother is 95 and can't safely manage herself so he has retired and closed up to take care of her full-time. What a hell of a run though.. I'd say the pictures tell it all but that wouldn't even be close. What a place.

Steve McQueen's Aston Martin was there.
    Marlyn Monroe's Mink interior Rolls Royce was there.
    Evel Knievel was there.
    When the Jackson-5 let out and customs were mobbed by fans they were there.
    on and on and on.

History like that is hard to see go. When I get some time away from school I'll scan some more pictures - there's a whole file cabinet of little square pictures.

Too cool.. I'm glad everyone likes this thread by the way. All of the pictures popping up and e-mails I get are amazing. There are some seriously talented innovators here on the HAMB that I've met over this thread. I'll print out the e-mails and updates and take them by so he can see them. Anything anyone wants to know about or hear just hollar.

I hope this update helps a little bit for you Kansas City guys too. Give me a yell anytime.

28. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I looked through all of Jim's photo albums the last time I saw him at the shop on Holmes. He has a treasure trove of old photos. He documented his work from early on and very extensively. Hey, Jim, have someone scan your collection and post it up on here!

Grim, what's your name? I'm the guy who painted t-shirts at all of the shows in the 60's and 70's.

29. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

grim, great when old threads are made new again. KILLER stuff.
    just a little color enhancement. Thanks. Slim

Attached Files:

30. grim

grim

Hey Tom, Jim is my Pop, my name is Justin Greene.

Also, to Slim Pickens, thanks a bunch for the color corrections.. I hope you get as much from my pictures as I have both of yours.

I originally started this thread after using some unrelated history found on the HAMB in some essays. I had a professor point out my obligation to return the information favor and so she encouraged me to share some of my own unique perspective back. In the process I've learned 1000% more than I've shared. It's been one hell of a return and I'd like to thank you guys for that.

And also, to everyone calling me upset and disappointed about the shop closing up and not understanding why I don't take over... Don't worry at all.. I grew up there 10-24 hours a day from birth, I promise I know how to keep it alive. It may sound strange but that's exactly what I'm doing. I promise you I'll bring it back just like it was in necessary time. One thing my Pop learned all of those years was business. It takes inflexible time planning and implementing a system to build things that last and do things right. So know this before you beat me up any more, I'm not letting it close, I'm just following a plan - No need to beat me up on the phone :p. The truth is, you wouldn't believe what it took to keep Wild Child's open and producing. Running a business for half a century is a story in itself, and this particular shop's business side would make for an epic novel or movie that would blow your mind beyond your wildest dreams. What it took to stay open many times came down to down-right adventure. So, cut me some slack, to those close to us you know my word is good. No panicking :D. You're killin' me! :D

Going to school is a good thing, trust me, I'll show you when I'm done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.