Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Custom Car History: Wild Child's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grim, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grim

grim

But I'm getting a bit ahead in time.. Let me step back for a few more of the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    (not sure about this car? Anyone?)
    [​IMG]
    After all Carl got him a drivers license! What else can a guy do to repay a friend like that...
    [​IMG]
    Imagine doing this with lead and files..
    [​IMG]

2. Hardware

Hardware
    from West Coast

This is simply one of the best threads I've read on the HAMB. Grim, your words above are spot on and thanks for the excellent history lesson. :)

3. grim

grim

But as time goes by and money gets low other ideas have to emerge. From what I have heard Greene wanted to officially open a shop and needed some sort of way to show what he could do for easy advertisement. So a cheep police bike would do the trick.. After all if he can do it to a bike, he can do it to a car right? Wrong.. Bikes started showing up as most the customers - a lot of customers - a motorcycle club seen the potential in Jimmy's work & wanted jobs, a club called - The Hells Angels
    [​IMG]
    Pictured later in Jimmy's yard with the bike in primer (Pictured is excited friend Ed Roth, a motorcycle magazine would emerge in the 60s from Ed.)
    [​IMG]
    Another of I found of Ed Roth horsing around with Greene at the shows
    [​IMG]

4. grim

grim

5. grim

grim

A touch of clear for an old show
    [​IMG]

6. grim

grim

Time would pass and further shows followed for years to come along with many other shop bikes.
    [​IMG]

7. grim

grim

At the time Green was driving a 59 Chevy Daily. Does anyone remember the Roth T-Shirts "Wild Child" or the one with the 59 Chevy Fin with the antenna through it?
    [​IMG]
    Later the car flooded
    [​IMG]
    But ideas moved faster than nature around the shop plans had already been made before - to go under the knife..
    [​IMG]
    It soon emerged better from the waters, as did customers wanting customs from the shop.. (I'll dig these boxes for completed photos - awesome..)

8. grim

grim

What happened to all these vehicles?! Has anyone on here seen any of these lately?

9. grim

grim

And with money made, a few nicer daily drivers emerged from the shop.. But c'mon why cut up a new split window, when you can find a perfectly good backrow beauty??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. grim

grim

And with a few years of driving that Vette, guess what showed up at Wild Child's.. Corvettes, tons of them.. One of a stack of nice example shown below-
    [​IMG]

11. grim

grim

But as shows got bigger so did builds. Shown here is a vehicle you all know, I haven't scanned the shots of Greene painting it yet but I like the under construction shots the best. Apparently Bill Cushenbery was the nicest, most modest and thoughtful guy you'd ever meet...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. grim

grim

Hey no problem. If this helps, the backs of the pictures have the address 4212 prospect written on them, so I imagine it's some flat spot in the alley behind that block. I wonder if there's still an alley there? If you happen to run by let us know, I'd love to see it.

13. grim

grim

Hmm I wonder.. Check out this picture I ran across, I thought it might have been a paintroom in the shop. Was this picture taken of him at Lockwoods, does it look familiar?
    [​IMG]

Also an interesting twist I think you'll like.. If you notice, on the dash of whistle bait, there is a string of pearls.. This car was evidently driven by the pretty young female companion of Erickson's.. I've heard numerous accounts of her strolling alone out of the corner grocery to put food in the car and drive away with all the boys in viewing radiuses hearts. (Note the name: "whistle bait") Heard the story from a few old rodders that happened catch "the disease," and heart palpitations, lusting over a lovely lady in a custom 52 - while at work at a small grocery..... :eek: :D

With that said I think this is a perfect place to leave off for the night - To be continued... Stay tuned :)

14. Thank You. Viva la HAMB!

15. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Hi! Ray Erickson Here----- THE WHITE 52 fORD COUPE ---- The frenched liights, Louvers in roof, Scoops on quarter panels-The fender skirts, I personally did in 1956 when I chopped the top. The top color was 54 Olds' blue turquoise.-- Bottom color was Pure white!!!!!!!!

16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow, hello Ray it is an honor........this thread is awesome

17. 65Riviera

65Riviera

this has got to be one of the coolest posts i've ever seen...:cool:

thank u!!!

18. wow, amazing history thanks for sharing with us!

19. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

Its a good thing that a picture is worth a thousand words because now I am speachless!

20. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

WOW ! thanks for taking te time to share this!

21. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Great thread!

22. Any more pics of that wild 59???

23. dgang26

dgang26

Best pictures I have seen in a LONG time -- just priceless indeed

24. It's been a year since the last update and photos...we're due for another chapter (or five)!

I remember the Wild Childs shop as a biker hangout. Cool stuff there, but you made sure you didn't mess with anyone or you may find yourself "altered"! (Or at least the fear of what "might" happen would keep you in line...)

I seem to remember seeing a red XKE coupe being worked on and being amazed how little of the original metal was left!

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have to agree with that! Thanks for the great pics!! Man what a simpler time and way of life......I love the in progress chop pic done with a torch,priceless!!

26. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Grim,
    Very cool post........and with "Ray" on the HAMB now, I am sure that he will give alot of great stories from the past. It kinda' amazes me the history that Kansas City had on "hotrods/customs"......digging thru the little magazines and old HOTROD's there were a ton of cars from around the KC area.

Chris Nelson

27. vein

vein

Wow! GREAT THREAD! I really dig the pictures! inspiration for sure.

28. vein

vein

Is that a customline or a crestline photo,d above the two tone?

29. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

30. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Holy Moly!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.