Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Custom bumper swap for 49 Coronet and emergency brake drum help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HXFOUR, Dec 30, 2020.

1. HXFOUR

HXFOUR

I’m fairly new to customization, but - Has anyone successfully completed or tried to swap or customize the bumper of a 49 Coronet/wayfarer/meadow Brook?

I’m hoping to add some more punch to this car in front and back and am open to ideas to beef it up, love the more round looks. The current bumper is just underwhelming, even with accessories in comparison to the grill, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC54gbpgBci/?igshid=ldi6vh58hp02

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Anyone who is a good welder, can cut and weld up any bumper to fit. the issue is finding one that fits, and/or looks better. Change for the sake of change is not good.
    That said, I know it's a VERY popular bumper, (why? because it looks great) but 49 Plymouth is the one I'd use. Probably bolt one, as a bonus. That is, if you can find one that someone hasn't already appropriated for a different car!

Bangingoldtin and HXFOUR like this.
  3. j hansen

j hansen

-49 Plymouth going on my -48 Dodge. IMG_8863.jpeg

HXFOUR likes this.
  4. HXFOUR

HXFOUR

Is the 48 your cover photo? Front bumper on that looks great.

5. HXFOUR

HXFOUR

Thanks! Agreed it’s more about the fit and upgrading the look/elegance of the car. desoto, Cadillac, Chevy of the same era are much more elegant and less industrial, which i tend to lean to.

6. X2 for the 49 Plymouth Bumper.

7. The Dodge or Desoto ribbed bumpers are a custom go to. You can buy them new (repops) if you look around a little bit.

8. George

George

Briz (?) still around?

9. j hansen

j hansen

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    HXFOUR likes this.
  10. HXFOUR

HXFOUR

I love it. Doubtful we’re close ;)

11. HXFOUR

HXFOUR

While we’re all here. I just found my emergency brake drum is completely chewed up. Looks like someone drove with the brake engaged for 30 years.

I’ve looked everywhere online and can’t seem to find another. Anyone have a spare or know a cheat?

The part I’m looking for is #683003

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those bumpers are about like belly buttons in the PNW. That and you can spot them 200 yards away and tell that they are the aluminum ones. They aren't as cheap as they used to be but If I were building a daily driver that they worked on like a late 30's Chevy pickup they are pretty tough against the park by ear bunch.

49 Dodge bumpers really aren't ugly, they are just wallflower plain compared to a lot of others. They actually would look pretty good on my 48 Chev pickup if I didn't already have 49 Plymouth bumpers for it.
    49 Dodge.jpg

I wonder how close 51 Merc front and rear bumpers would come to fitting without a lot of cutting and reworking.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    HXFOUR likes this.
  13. They were the main stay of the midwest custom crowd in the last 2 decades of the 20th century. Like flatheads and six cylinders on the HAMB. LOL

You could get them chromed steel back then too. I am not sure if it was the same company or not.