The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falcongeorge, Jun 22, 2011.
At GNRS 2020
My 56 Ford altered wheel-base Victoria, originally built in California in 1968, 390 bored and stroked, Tri-powered,4 speed with a gear vendor over-drive unit, 57 Pontiac rear-end with 456 gears.
Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.
At 2020 GNRS
At 2020 GNRS Pure Hell
Well this is more of a dirt track car but here's mine. I'm going to drive it in bare metal to work the bugs out and then do a race car inspired paint job next fall.
Yes Roo, we need a thread of restored vintage drag cars, that's a good thread idea. even better if the posters put an original pic of the vehicle in with the current pic. I'll post some!
That would be a great thread and I would really enjoy it if they are restored right. Most originals are ruined by modern updates. I know they have to be updated to be safety raced but when they take a whole new look I don't see the connection any longer to it being an original gasser. I guess the problem now days is 90% wouldn't know if it's right or not and nobody would look at a thread that just had what the other 10% of us like.
I took Roo's advise and I started one earlier today similar post header "Current photo's of restored vintage race cars -then and now" link:https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...race-cars-then-and-now.1183634/#post-13441433
I just subscribed to it and will support it as long as it stays true to the era. (No off topic wheels, modern wheelie bars, modern paint jobs stiff like that. You have started it off right with a perfect example of what the rest of the page should be like. Good job so far.
At GNRS 2020 two famous drag cars side by side
A question for anyone who might know. Did Hugh Tuckers Chevy have doors? If it didn't, how did he get in? It is extremely high. I have always wanted to build a street version of it but never came across a '28 Chevy roadster body. I have a '29 Ford but it just isn't the same.
Early on Gas Class, Modified Sports and Street Roadster had to have street equipment. Fenders, hoods, lights, etc. were required. About 1967 or so those classes were all merged into Gas Class and around the same time some of the requirements were relaxed also.
Tucker’s Chevy was an original body and had doors but when the rules were simplified a lot of ‘glass bodies were used, most without operating doors.
At 2020 GNRS
The top photo is great. In case people didn't notice it looks like Bob Panella and Ed Iskenderian standing right behind the engine
From Hot Rod coverage of GNRS
TV TOMMY IVO
Latest Pure Hell always one of my favorites
Although built by Fuller this is actually the Jim Ward driven Baney, Rapp, Lisa, Rossi car that came before the Woody Gilmore Yeakel car that McEwen drove.
Ed Pink The Old Master
Backup Pickup Galpin ford
Nice acknowledgement of a bunch of HAMB members
Mooneyes 2020 Autorama
What...do you REALLY call this car ?
The original (this car ?) car was built by Dean Moon. Of..."Moon Speed Equipment"...Fame (NOT Mooneyes!).
But is now owned by, Shige Suganuma, the current owner of "Mooneyes" (had to change the name per the family's wishes).
So...what would be the proper title, if the car had a title ?
I'd say that if this is the original, which I believe it is, and I think it was actually rebuilt/restored by Dean before he died, It should be a Moon Equipment or Moon Speed Equipment...NOT a Mooneyes car.
Along with all of the other restored Moon Equipped cars and trucks.
Separate names with a comma.