Register now to get rid of these ads!

Current Climent in Utah - Moving?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by N8B, May 23, 2011.

1. N8B

N8B

Fellas,

The wife and I have been taking about re locating back to Utah.
    I grew up in Ogden and have not been back in 13 years.

How goes it? (All Utah Valley)
    Whats it like now?
    Housing prices?
    Hot Rods now a-days?

Anything you would like to add? It's been a long time and I miss my family up North.

I'd like to hear from
    Uncle Max (Hi Max!?)
    Loupedal
    -BRENT-

etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Nate

2. KJSR

KJSR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I'm new to the area so I cant speak to your questions but I bet if you posted your question on the HAMB site you would have a better chance of getting feedback.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=20

I know the winter is a little different than SoCal...haha

3. vegas

vegas

Bummer to hear you're thinking of moving...How can you give up living in a house with more garage space than every place I've ever lived, combined?! :eek: ....Vegas can wear on you after a while though, and I hear you on the family thing...I'm from WI, so I haven't been back in years either.

4. N8B

N8B

Don't worry Corey.
    I am sure it will take awhile. My compound won't be easy to sale nor will the other place I have here.
    p.s. sorry about the weekend. Guess what? I was working!
    Remind me though I have some White Wall cleaner I want you to try. I remember you saying you use the bleachclean.
    I have some citrus stuff that is not as harsh.

N

5. vegas

vegas

Working...You?! What a surprise!
    Sounds good, Nate. Let me know when you're free from the previously mentioned activity!

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Well, I don't know how one can leave this beautiful weather (perfect for cruising, rodding, flying and boating), but I do understand the desire to be 'back home'. I cure myself of that by heading up there (WA) on a regular basis and realize that the climate here is more conducive to the above-noted activities than almost anywhere else. California may be a bit better, but I cannot stand their politics.

Best of luck if/when you move - I'm sure there will be many here that will lament your departure.

dj

7. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

The farther north you go the better prices on houses weather is good..

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm certainly not one that'd be a good barometer of now vs. then since I'm an east-coast transplant. I mean, there's still a good deal of culture shock even at 4 years into living here.

As far as housing, if you've got the means, you can find a decently-priced home with whatever ammenities you're looking for. However, it's all (and always will be) about location. I'm downtown and if it weren't for a super-easy and short commute to work (15 minute walk or 8-10 minute drive) I'd be somewhere where I can have property enough to play a game of catch and have a nice-sized shop, you know 2000+ sq ft. :D Wanting those things and being downtown means we'd be spending A LOT of money to get what we want.

One of the things I pay attention to is the housing prices. They're continuing to fall, which means there's a good chance you'll buy a home before the market hits bottom.

I've spent a lot of time in Ogden, for my last job, and a few of the people whom I worked with spoke of Ogden's crime and down-trodden state BUT I disagree. It's rarely on the evening news: I take that as a positive indicator. Plus, I see a lot of building and updating going on. However, only visiting, it doesn't allow me to really "get" the area.

I do like West Jordan where SteelJunkieII lives as far as property types. He's got a neat little piece of property and a decent-sized shop. There's still oportunity to buy a piece of property there that has something more like what I grew up with.

When it comes to hot rods, I think Utah's lucky to have Bonneville. It's my most fun time of the year, as well as something I dreamed about as a kid. The Utah HAMBers are a pretty decent bunch, too. I got to spend some time with them this past weekend at the swap meet and we had a bunch of fun. I'm a fairly private guy, I wouldn't exactly say shy, but it takes me a little bit to warm up, so I don't mix it up as much as the others. However, these knuckleheads (oops, I mean gentlemen :D ) are a pretty decent bunch. They're easy to talk to and have good sense of humor and they'll help a guy when he's down. I respect them for that.

That was pretty long-winded, sorry about that. :eek: