Register now to get rid of these ads!

curing "loud" pipes lol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gromit, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Gromit

Gromit

Okay I LOVE the sound of a nice glasspack, but my work requirements have me hitting the road at 4:00 am now and then (yeah.. there's a 4:00 in the morning now! who knew!) ANyway i fired up the DD Boogie Van today and imediately decided my neighbours were going to murder me in my sleep. It's a newish Thrush Glasspack and the sound is great.. but I think it needs to come a decibel or 20 down in volume. I live on a hill and that uphill slog is a tad loud.

ANYWAY.. suggestions for keeping the sound but not so intrusive?:eek:

2. Get a bicycle or change mufflers.:D HRP

3. 'Mo

'Mo

4. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

a cross over pipe will reduce it , may not be enough?

5. cakes

cakes

or, you could just say fuck it until they complain, I've never had a complaint in my neighborhood and I live next to a cop

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Why not add "resonators" or extra mufflers back at the end of the exhaust. That way, if you ever want to return to loudness, you can take them off, and put straight pipes back on, or long exhaust extensions.

7. Gromit

Gromit

I'll check into Baffles.. I was considering another Glasspack. I do like the sound of multiple ones... worth a try I guess. The exhause exits in front of rear wheel so there is not a lot of room.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

balance tube and street hemi type mufflers. Check Dynomax.

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

10. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Same size inlet and outlet?
    I installed some NAPA universal mufflers on a buddy's car with the small end at the inlet ( standard practice is smaller outlet pipes) , and the result was louder than I ever would have imagined.

Those wireless controlled cutouts seem like a great (although pricey) solution to the problem.

11. I bought a set of 4" baffles from speed way, and secured them in the ends of the pipes with a quarter inch bolt, just enough to take the bark out and easily removable when you want to be truly annoying.:D

12. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it's too loud, you're too old.

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I waited for the neighbors to bitch about my cherry bombs,...I'm still running them, years later....... The removeable baffles seem to be the easy way, just in case.

4TTRUK

14. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER