Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CupHolder Taboo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, Feb 17, 2017.

1. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

I know from other treads this subject causes a stir but just had to share.
    Having had to join the N.F. L. (no fun life) most of my vices needed to be discarded. The one thing I can enjoy is a cup of coffee. Now driving my hot rod is hard enough with two hands much less just one and holding a hot cup of java. So my only solution was to get a cup holder. The big issue, what I saw out there was horrid.
    While at the Frog Follies (Great Pre 49 only event in Evansville, IN last weekend of August) swap meet last year it came to me: a crunched up old valve cover and a junk center cap from some nondescript chrome wheel. All of this fun for $2.00 so the project met my financial goals as well.
    Barring all of the details I was able to improve my metal bumping to remove d the dings and dents, start to learn a bit about upholstery by wrapping the "cup holder' in some old vinyl I had. As well as general problem solving of how to make something out of a couple of unrelated items.
    So I give you my cup holder, picture attached. One last thing to perhaps mollify the hard core, old school guys, two things: it is easily removable as it is simply held by a tail into the seat back crease and it sports a vintage Stewart Warner koozie. But no Starbucks for me.
    Let the brow beating begin!

Attached Files:

Stogy, JOYFLEA, bustadrodz and 11 others like this.
  2. chriseakin

chriseakin

Could use a two cup version in case you get a passenger - I like the idea, it's one thing my o/t truck is missing.

3. At least its not a billet valve cover . Looks neat i just may have to copy it. Carl

1949 mercury and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

German cars (BMW esp.) always stated that "German cars have no cup holders, they are meant to be driven." (that meant 'with both hands')
    NOW, in Sunny California, since the first of the year, you can get stabbed with a big fat ticket for eating or drinking (anything!) while driving.
    I just fitted my F100 with a cup holder...for my water. (no comments, the Scotch I drink at home!)
    But I do have this chrome flask...:D

oldsjoe, jnaki and ravedodger like this.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A new breed Cal Custom might be the answer...it has that finned, polished surface like the '50s restaurants had...Change the seating to red stools...

6. I built my own. It was originally designed to support my leg on long trips but evolved into a small console and glove box with a cup holder. DSCN0964.JPG

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Ol' Wascal likes this.
  7. metalman

metalman

I have never put a cup holder in my hot rods, probably never will. That said, yes, I do miss having one. Driving late models with all the amenities does tend to spoil ya.
    I actually think the Cal Custom idea is a good one so maybe never say never!

junkers72 likes this.
  8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I'm using a lightweight magnesium road bike water bottle holder IMG_0604.JPG

9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like coffee too, made this out of a pulley, doesn't tip. I had to open up the I.D. No more Java crotch! IM001454.JPG

Stogy, jeffd1988, Okie Pete and 21 others like this.
  10. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

^^^ I like that floorboard model....that is pretty cool!

11. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I've quit about everything too, but coffee is not one of them. I like the holder.... good job

clunker and MrPhat40 like this.
  12. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Very cool idea! Well done as the Brits are want to say

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You'll have to ask one of us old-sters what it's like to drive with an iced soft drink in a paper cup or in a cold bottle between your legs in the summer. If you parent's car didn't have power steering, that was about the only place to keep one while driving (especially at low speeds scooping around town) and any condensation usually left you looking like you wet your pants when you got out. Especially cool on your way to pickup a date - not. Hot coffee wasn't any fun either. But if you were on a date, she could hold the drink while you drove. Like sharing a malt, that was nice, and cozy since you probably didn't have a car with a seat belt installed, anyway. Young N dumb, we was. Gary

Gotgas, oldsjoe, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. My universal cup holder is multi-purpose.
    [​IMG]

As Gary eluded - thousands of guys and gals drive hot rods & customs and start their day with a cup of Joe,personally I have poured coffee in the floor on too many occasions,,holding a cup of liquid heat between my legs while shifting gears is not my idea of fun anymore.

BTW,,coffee is traditional! HRP

15. WTF can't you guys drink your coffee before you get in the car?

16. My reasoning was I had a 12 mile drive to work and I stopped and got coffee en-route,I didn't have time to stand around and shot the breeze so it was drink it on the run for me. HRP

ravedodger likes this.
  17. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

The new Taboo is adding things to your car and you don't owe an explanation to anyone....​

18. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did I say coffee , I meant BEER !

loudbang and Atwater Mike like this.
  19. Yay or Nay for me on the cup holders but it sounds like some of the boys are coming out,lol.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Funny that when watch very old car movies that no one drinks from anything, except maybe a flask or beer bottle that is thrown out the window. Guess not having the many types of tall mugs that are available now made the difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I think the OPs cup holder is really cool.What a good idea!

22. ...my low buck approach...
    truck dashes, cleary shop 013.jpg

23. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Heres a couple i found on the web

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Stogy, clem, whiplash1923T and 22 others like this.
  24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Like a cell phone, I consider it a distraction. I learned that from experience. I guess the real solution would be to get up early enough to enjoy a cup before hitting the road. However, some good examples have been shown and IMO the roll of duct tape gets the win. Mainly because upon arrival at the destination and removing the cup, no one is the wiser of your selfish and careless driving habit.;)

25. Ideas I've saved from the HAMB. I take no credit for any of them.
    cupholder 01.jpg

cupholder 02.jpg

cupholder 04.JPG

Stogy, dirt t, jeffd1988 and 5 others like this.
  26. LostBoy

LostBoy

I cut and oil filter open, welded it to a 3 bolt collector flange and then mounted it to my kick panel. Works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. upspirate

upspirate

I used the duct tape one in my '29 roadster.....doubled to hold the windshield open when wedged between that and the cowl. Also, in a heavy rainstorm I used some to seal the windshield around the edges & cowl !:D

28. I stole this idea. It's a 65 Impala tailight a guy had incorporated into the trans hump for a KILLER cup holder. I found one on ebay and bought it. It's gonna have a light in it, of course!
    34cupholder.jpg

jeffd1988, Tim, dan31 and 5 others like this.
  29. No coffee, brain no workee....must have coffe all day long.....especially while driving. Cup holder a must.

I even have a cup holder on my "German" motorcycle. If you look close you'll see it. (Ignore the bad attitude squad)

[​IMG]

No eating or drinking at all while driving in CA ? Wow, I lived there for ten years and couldn't have LIVED without it. Hours in traffic jams even in the 90's. F that. I suppose Gary Busey will be the spokesman for "eating-while-driving" lobby in CA, and careen off a cliff on the PCH with a Fat Burger in his mouth.

deuce666, CoolYourJets and ravedodger like this.
  30. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Obviously, a lot of you don't drive far enough to have coffee to kick start your day or water to rehydrate. There are certain things about the HAMB experience that are lost on the youth.

mountainman2, i.rant and HOTRODPRIMER like this.