Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cup holders in a hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Is this thread serious or some kind of "topic" test? geeezzz.

2. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Traditionally we just held 'em between our legs or just spilled 'em on the damn floor like real men :)

I just let my crybaby doll hold mine!

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

ya know what? Bugger right off. :eek: I tend to get in my car and drive half way across the country, I'm gonna have a damn cup holder. And I stop and get coffee in the morning, I'm gonna have a damn cup holder. Get over it already. Hell my Buick came with 4 cup holders, but they're in the glove box and suck if you're moving. Sorry if you can't understand that... :p

[​IMG]

So I'm just going with a better design...

4. AntiBling

AntiBling

Never thought about this till you said something, but cleaning out cup holders is one of the things I hate the most.

Where I used to work, they didn't use floor dry, they gave us pig mats, I think I'm going to pick some up and cut them up to put at the bottom of cup holders. But if he went this route, which honestly after seeing it I want to put one in my 57, using this pig mat to line the bottom wouldn't look bad, and clean up would be easy, just toss it and put in a new piece.

http://www.newpig.com/webapp/wcs/st..._106085_PIG-Gray-Universal-Absorbent-Mat-Pads

5. Chopperman

Chopperman

6. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yea this is a traditional site and all about fabricating stuff or finding solutions, so if you create a cup holder, why wouldn't it be traditional. If you really want a traditional one , make one that holds a Mason jar!!:D just don't put anything in it that might get you arrested.

8. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Thanks, thats it ... ! The Mighty Duct.....Tape..

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one of those plastic over the hump things in my daily and it spends as much time upside down on the other side of the car as it does on the hump. The duct tape roll would work better for me and keep my coffee upright.

I have one made out of wood in the 48 from when it was my daily driver. ugly but functional.

Check the 91 or so Dodge Mini vans for a slick one that slides out. Have one in the wifes ride and it works slick and has a little tray behind it that I think is the ash tray but makes a change catcher in her rig.

10. 46stude

46stude

I saw this set-up in a car at the Autorama today. It'd be killer chromed.

Attached Files:

CoolYourJets likes this.
  11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

A Ball jar, epoxied to some kind of bracket on the floor could be interesting.

12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I don't know how you can beat a duct tape roll on a bench....this is in my '49 1/2 T daily driver only vehicle and I still spill lots of coffee.

[​IMG]

13. Any solutions yet Kev?

In my old Chevy PU I had a coffee can full of fastners from my banger in front of the seat, crude but it worked. Also one of those woven seat covers with pockets in the front, talk about handy!

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i pulled one out from under a mini van seat im going to use for the back seat in the A..
    it will go back under the seat once i fit the seat back in..Got a kid, need cup holders, dont need that sticky f-ing pop all over my hot rods floor
    As for the front passenger and me?..i havent figured that out yet.
    probably my lap, shure havent got much room for creature comforts in a hot rod.
    But when I've got nothing better to do, I will figure out a way.
    Hard to make a nice looking cup holder for an 80 year old car look right

15. ...my idea almost, I got 2 cans screwed to a piece of 2x6 that sits on the floor in frt. of the seat, works great....use em in all my cars.

16. nitrojoe

nitrojoe
    from Midway,nc

CupHolders!! yea I got cupholders, If I Didnt have to keep both hands on the wheel i could use them!!!

17. yngrodder

yngrodder

For a 60's custom I think 58 chevy taillight bezel would be cool!!

18. Thanks for the ideas. My wife wants cup holders in the Willys. I like the stop and enjoy idea, but you gotta keep baby happy if you wanna play later!

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

that's a cool idea.

20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i use good ole roll of duct tape,or the strapping tape :D.but i do wonder about the tail light bezel off a 59 caddy tail light? may not be big enough diameter. some good food for thought on a really cold day?/

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  21. Pinewood

Pinewood

I got this aircraft piece from my brother. I was thinking it might work good as a mount for a coil on the firewall but I'm starting to think it would serve better as a drink holder...

[​IMG]

22. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

I don't realy use a cup holder, I would hate to hit a bump and spill my beer.

23. airmentbob

airmentbob
    from san diego

i've got a cup holder in the ride, it's good for one thing, spilling coffee everywhere!

24. Last weekend was the Kansas Hamb BBQ and I knew we'd be spending a lot of time in the '46 so I did this. I helped my brother in law do the exhaust on his monster diesel truck so I had this 4" pipe left over and some welding rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

worked pretty good for 450 miles in 2 days!

25. flat34pu

flat34pu

:Di picked this up sunday at the swapmeet in campbell $20., before going to the c.a.m. in sac for the Asia benifit.
    yea its billet so i cant have it in the pickup when i go to billetproof this year.
    for those who have custom rods they are in the summit racing catalog for $95.

Attached Files:

26. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I've bought whole cars and trucks for less than $95, $95, that's how many rolls of duct tape?

27. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hmmm. Research continues...
    There are old designs and old aftermarket ones; I've even done 1950's and older patent searches for ideas...
    But when you come right down to it, cup holders that are convenient, close to spillproof, sold, and not in the way are a modern development, quite possibly the ONLY worthwhile automotive development since the Depression. Maybe seatbelts, too.
    I'm moving toward a development of the box design...there's room for a WWII type side-hinged 50 caliber ammunition can between shift lever and seat in a deuce.
    I am vacillating between simple rings added to inside rim and fancier rings that hinge out over the side of the can or fold back in...
    I've quit toying with the high tech approach, but it does have its attractions...my computer right here has a neat cupholder that slides out with the touch of a button and retracts to nothing, and it's likely some low voltage easily adapted to a hotrod. Obnoxiously modern streetroddish, but neat nonetheless...

28. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I wanted to post a photo of my cup holder but the wife didn't want her picture taken.

disturbio likes this.
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you can't steer, brake, hit the clutch and shift without setting down your coffee you just need to pactice more. bunch of sissies around here. cup holders are for wimmins.

30. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here in Texas, we hold the beer between our legs to keep our balls cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.