Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cup holders in a hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpol7966

rpol7966

I got this one out of a Hyundai in a pull-a-part. It pushes in and locks, then just push on it and it slides out.
    I mounted it in the front frame of my seat. It's out of the way when not used.

Attached Files:

2. forty1

forty1

my ABSOLUTE cup / CD / sunglass holder, via Goodwill, $2.99.....
    Absolute perfect...
    -41-

Attached Files:

3. Lucky77

Lucky77

Nowhere near traditional and only works in limited situations but I saw a guy who had a bike water bottle holder screwed under the dash. He had a bottle of water sitting in it. I though it was a good idea, it gets hot as Hell in my Model A, I might do something like that.

4. And if you want swanky you can use an Andrews Ti or Stainless King Cage!;)

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Cofee holders are not Hamb friendly .Too modern ,Like the smoothy look.

6. Yep Red green has a way with words and duct tape :D

7. eddieb

eddieb
    from Sharon SC

catalin.

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

THe old bracelet is a good idea. I like the turned aluminum and wood job too. I hate to say it, but that new fangled billet one could be painted and hidden pretty easily.

9. First generation Dodge Dakota units are adaptable and hide away like cup holders should.

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thats the kind I used but i made the setup with the actuator running on vaccume, that way I didn't have to reach under the seat to release it. People get a kick out of playing with it.

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have used a roll of duck tape many , many times as a cup holder for a coffee cup . When I drove a route truck for a living the duck tape sat on the engine cover . Everyone wanted to know what it was for .
    It also holds beer cans real good too !

RetroJim

12. Marcia

Marcia

I've got a cashew can screwed to the floor. Works great.

13. RDR

RDR

X2...and about a hundred posts:confused:

14. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I am still using duct tape.

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yep, cheap and easy. I'm on my second rod with these. FYI... you might consider a drain hole for condensation / spills. Also, I've considered using but haven't tried yet putting a small 2W light bulb / LEDs under them (sealed from liquids) so the light shines up the drain holes and you can find them in the dark! Gary

16. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Ya I call that my wife.

17. It is funny, seems like there was a cupholder thread some time ago and the poster got crucified. I like the duck(duct?) tape roll myself...

18. roddinron

roddinron

I wondered if anybody would pick up on that. You just know that his would be much more elaborate though.
    Well remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together!:D

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think the thing with the cup holders is people didn't use to always be carrying a coke when they drove, they used to go somewhere,stop and get a coke, and take some time to enjoy it. I still do this, I like to head up to Doerun just to get a cold IBC drink in a glass bottle. No one thinks about it anymore, carrying something to drink is just something we all do. IN the Georgia heat in my off topic project having a cup holder is a necessity, it gets hot as hell with no ac, and having a five speed means I would really need a third hand to drive,shift gears, keep a hand on the wheel and hold a drink. having a basic way to hold your drink is just a safety thing, plus it keeps it off of the floor, and seats. I think when it went overboard is when they started putting them all over the inside of cars. the only person who really needs one is the driver.

20. There's a pickup line - "Hey baby, wanna ride in my rod and play with my cupholder???":D

21. here's mine :) cops don't like it much though

Attached Files:

• beer.jpg
      beer.jpg
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
  22. Ain't that the truth! I had a '97 GMC Xtra cab PU. Bucket seats meant it was capable of hauling 5 people MAX, right?

It had eight cup holders! :confused:

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Fuck the naysayers... I've been working on this for the Buick....

[​IMG]

disturbio likes this.
  24. DrJ

DrJ

I just tried a soda can in a Slinky.
    It fit.
    When I tried to pull it out the Slinky just stretched out like Slinky's do.
    But it recoiled back.
    Maybe fasten one end to the floor and?
    Slinky's were made public in '45 so they ARE "traditional" ;)

zman, that looks good so far, is it getting contoured to fit the floor hump?
    I think I'd use vinyl top material on it, only because it stretches around contours.

25. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

KEVIN...i like the idea of using the boat cup holders, their qulity built and swing with the movement of vehicle. and i must say, i would have never thaught of it. h.a.m.b. you did it again. yep learn something new every day...POP.

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

gonna paint it to match the dash... though I am going to make a shift boot

27. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Now that this topic has been beaten to death, who's going to start the "Does Your Generator Put Out Enough Juice To Charge Your Blackberry?" or "Traditional Hot Rod I Phone Apps" threads?

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

nope, I don't answer my phone while driving, and have no use for a blackberry,or raspberry,or cranberry or whatever. Nothing wrong with having a place to put your coffee or your drink though.

29. twofosho

twofosho

Like so many of us, my projects seem to go on forever, taking far more time to complete than planned, and stretching out for years in some cases. I haven't gotten around to putting rugs or padding or anything else back in the Plymouth and the top of the transmission tunnel in front of the shifter is flat, so I made a quick trip to the local home improvement store for some of that adhesive backed velcro. Used a big square of the felt side on the floor and cut circles of the loop side to fit the bottom of my coffee mugs. This pretty well ends the problem unless you forget to twist the cup a little bit to lock the velcro when you set it down. Cheap "temporary" fix.

30. chopped

chopped

You can buy ready to use cake frosting in a white container. Right size to hold a can, has a little lip that finishes it off of you hole saw a place to put it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.