Register now to get rid of these ads!

History CT Autorama pics from '52 to '58 from HotRodRevival

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Rikster

Rikster

I just came across this cool new website with some intersting stuff....

Here are some photos of an article they did on 52-58 Autorama photos

The whole page can be seen here:HotRodRevival Autorama show photosl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Brings back some memories of some of the cars I worked on while working for Frank Maratta at New England Auto Body :) :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

great pics but, Rik. How did they get those pics without people in there.

4. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Very cool Rick. Growing up in CT, my earliest car memories bring me back to my father taking me as a kid to the Autorama. Thanks
    Charlies website is really taking hold also!

5. 38pickup

38pickup

awesome, just awesome. Thanks for posting Rik.

6. That was awesome. I have a bunch of pictures of my grandfather's 54 Merc at the autorama from around 55-58, and pictures of 'The White Pearl', which was a '57 Ford he worked on for a friend which eventually was owned by Gene Pitney...gotta get my hands on a scanner.

7. premium

premium
    from Goergia

8. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

The pictures were taken before the public was let in to the Hartford Armory.:) :D

9. The color photos appear to be mid-60's because of the 'vette. Any idea of the year?

10. Thanks for sharing....great shots!

11. Notice that the unpainted slammed pickup was the only one outside. If it wasn't painted, it usually didn't make the show, unless they had an unfinished class. Cushenbery was at the height of his career at this time. The stylized roadster was built for Promotions Inc.

12. There are definitely some great early pics there.The two show cars(Mysterion and that Winfield car)were built around 1963(the Winfield car used parts from a 60 Pontiac if I remember correctly).Didn't peruse the whole site yet but it looks great!

13. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

Thats cool,hey the Bannister 32 roadster is now owned by Larry Hook,hes restoring,or I should say over restoring the car.

14. Safariknut, that car was built from 60 pontiac parts but was built by Bill Cushenbery, not Winfield, on commision for Promotions Inc. I think still exists. Great old pictures and it also has that radical 40 Merc convertible that was in so many east coast shows. I think it was owned by Frank Maratta.

15. Thanks for the correction;must be a senior moment.You know that is the SECOND thing to go.:D

16. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

Hey Safariknut,I mentioned you to my dad,John Sr,and he does remember you,he says hi,and so does Steve Weistein,Hoop.

17. Tomcats30

Tomcats30

Thanks great NE history here.

18. That is some cool East coast style.
    Thanks for the pics.

19. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

[​IMG]

Cool find, love to see old show pics.....Funny how a lot of us thought that De-fendering these era trucks was a a fairly new thing in Hotrodding.

20. Chad s

Chad s

Exactly what I thaught when I saw that picture. Still dont care for the look though.

21. skratch

skratch

22. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

All of the pictures from the early Autoramas are from my colletion. Charlie as well as Arnie Schuman author of Cool Cars and Square Rool Bars have used them to show our early East Coast Heritage. In my quest to preserve as much of our East Coast Hot Rod history as possible led me to Elaine Kizis the wife of the Autorama promotoer Joe Kizis. Elaine a number of years ago was interested in selling all of the Auto Rama files so I aquired all of those files the pictures are from various years. The photo of the truck was from an exhibiter who submitted the photo to Joe Kizis so he would consdier the truck for the Autorama.

23. onearmbandit

onearmbandit

Thanks very much to Ronnie Roadster for the great autorama pics on my site.......more great old pics to come!!!

[​IMG]

Bill Newman (w/glasses on) editor of Hot Rod Magazine in the 50's next to his roadster

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  24. Jimv

Jimv

the "bannister" Roadster( 8th pic) Is in my Neighbors garage, hes restoring it back to how it looks in the picture.
    Its looking great & should be on the road maybe next year.
    Also the picture above here looks like that roadster is running a SBC!!! Imagine that!!
    jimV

25. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

cool site!
    looks to me like tail draggin roadsters and truck grilles were started in the 60's on the east coast.

26. These are great pictures. I love the East Coast style. Though the guys out here say they borrowed from the West and visa-versa. It is too bad that it doesn't get as much print as our brethren to the West. The Banister Roadster is amazing, it is nice to hear that it is being restored. I also heard recently that Bob Bishel's Model A roadster was for sale. I hope that goes to a good home too.

As usual Rikster, YOU are awsome.

Best, MRAK

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

Really great pictures,... thanks for posting them.

28. Thanks to all. My Dad had his '50 ford convertible in the '57 Autorama. So, seeing these pics helps me feel more connected somehow.:eek:

29. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

Great pictures but they go a little beyond '57. The Batmobile is from the mid sixties. The series ran from '66 to '68.:eek:

30. Plowboy

Plowboy

Is that a "Rudy" truck??? Where's the hookers? Ha Ha Ha

GREAT pics! Thanks!