Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Who else lost rides in the CAMP fire/California fires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Dec 17, 2018.

1. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Looks like she was a sweet ride. I wish you all good fortune in the future and that you never suffer this kind of loss again.

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  2. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

man honestly, if I had another 57 sitting here, I would give it to you. sucks is not the word for it!

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That is my thoughts too.

4. I think we all can agree on that. Do sorry for the loss of life and property. God bless you all. Nick

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

I must be missing the gist of the thread title.

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah...no "crybaby" about it, F. We all need a little support sometimes. And that's part of what people do...including here. Sometimes, ESPECIALLY here.
    Very sorry about the car. As others have said, it may seem bleak right now, but you'll be ok.
    If it's any consolation...someday, much worse will happen.
    There...now don't you feel better?
    Seriously...good luck, Flynn.

jim snow and Flynn's_57 like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

I'm really lost trying to figure out your response.

Can you clarify a bit?

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  8. 6sally6

6sally6

I'm thankful you are still alive. You'll buy more stuff.......and that's what it is "stuff".
    I know it must hurt now though.
    6sally6

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You lost so much and Yes you have your life but that doesn't make the loss which is far beyond what you are sitting on any easier. A very surreal and an ultimate low in life for sure. I don't want insurance...I want what I had. Nobody wishes for this shit.

Thoughts are with you and all involved in so many levels of utter loss. Heartbreaking...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Flynn's_57 likes this.
  10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

nochop and Flynn's_57 like this.
  11. bct

bct

terms like crybaby and pity party have me a little concerned. I hope you are OK. really ok.

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  12. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your future is thataway. No looking back now.

Easy for me to say and I've not been in your situation, but you don't have any realistic alternative choice. Be strong

Chris

Flynn's_57 and bct like this.
  13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mainly, it's important to me that the OP understands what I'm saying. I have reason to believe he does. As, I think, most do.
    But I'll clarify. I assume you're referring to "...someday, worse will happen." and "Don't you feel better, now?".
    Be assured...no disrespect intended. And in no way would I make light of or minimize someone's loss.
    So...
    "someday" infers that there's a future even to be had.
    "worse will happen" is the truth...and meant to gain some perspective as far as what's really important. Everything is important of course...but some things are more-so. Similar to saying that at least he and his loved ones are alive and healthy and we can all be thankful for that...in spite of the hurt he's feeling over what happened to his car that's so close to his heart.
    And "Don't you feel better now?" was just a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that of course me saying that "worse will happen" is a kind of weird way of encouraging somebody...kind of a jab at myself. Sort of like when somebody pats another person on the back and says, "There, there." As if that'll make everything ok. :confused:
    Ok? ;)
    Did you offer the OP any good words?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    BJR, jim snow and Flynn's_57 like this.
  14. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Thanks for all the kind words guys-
    Everyone I know got out with there pets and family members, so that is a really positive thing, and I'm staying with family now, so things aren't that bad :)
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    I got off the phone with a buddy I hadn't talked to in a few years last night, I was amazed he still had my number... He told me he'd give me his hardtop 4-door '58 (Ford) if it would help me rebuild my '57- The insurance on my cars lapsed a few months ago (#@$%&!!!), I never had homeowners insurance- But I did get some money from FEMA, The Red Cross and the Tzu Chi foundation (side note: does anyone remember when FEMA made all those plastic coffins and it had all the doomsday preppers freaking out?! I'm sure glad we have FEMA now though, even if they were just planning on a larger disaster,). But, like I said earlier, the relief money has to be for the rebuilding of the home, (and adding a decent garage).
    It's just weird and hard to know how to move forward.
    Like, what would Grandpa want? If he'd still care, or just be glad I was okay...

Stogy, Boneyard51, F&J and 1 other person like this.
  15. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

The part that is messing with me the most is what to buy people for Christmas.... It's kinda like... "I lost basically everything but maybe you'll like this $20 t-shirt that reminded me of you," or something.

And the other part that is messing with me is... "wouldn't that front-end look KEWL on a '58 Edsel?"

Stogy likes this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yay !!!
    Friends make it ok.
    Your Gramps would want you to do the best you can...no matter what YOU decide to do.
    God bless. Merry Christmas, Flynn.

Stogy, jim snow and Flynn's_57 like this.
  17. Can’t understand what you are going through but in my head Christmas is about being with the people that mean something to us, I could care less about getting gifts. Don’t stress about getting people stuff, if they don’t understand you don’t need them in your life! Good luck and you will come out of this a stronger person.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy, Flynn's_57, BamaMav and 2 others like this.
  18. Priorities.
    No one would expect the survivors of that hellish tragedy to buy Christmas presents. Take care of yourself first. I quit buying presents after my kids grew up and don't miss it a bit. Contributing to a charity instead is rewarding.

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah...like Don and Fargo said...
    "Sorry I can't afford gifts this year.
    "But I have this for you."
    And then give them lots of hugs and kisses and look them in the eyes and tell them how much you love and appreciate them and how super-important they are in your life.
    Best gift ever...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Stogy, Flynn's_57, Irish Mike and 2 others like this.
  20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

These cars are like our pets, sucks to lose them

Stogy and Flynn's_57 like this.
  21. BJR

BJR

Ditto on not buying anyone else a Christmas present. I am sure not one person on your Christmas list is expecting a present from you after loosing all that you have lost. Make the best of the holiday season and enjoy your friends and family. Merry Christmas. Brian

22. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

You could remove the Desoto front end from the 57 Ford before scrapping it. It'll make converting the next one a whole lot easier.

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 296ardun

296ardun

I heard that the Dave Cunningham '40 Ford 2-door sedan custom (once by Barris) and the Benham & Aicher Hisso-powered dragster were both lost in the Malibu fire that burned at the same time as the Camp fire.

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  24. George

George

Saw a photo of firefighters pushing a Shelby out of a garage, any other "save' stories out there?

dan31 and Flynn's_57 like this.
  25. Lil32

Lil32

Yes
    I donated some funds to Tom's rebuild
    the guys did a great job

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  26. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

I pulled off my fully-customized front-end and will be looking for a 57/58 Ford or Edsel now (small series Edsel). If anyone knows of anything please e-mail me @ [email protected] Thanks!

27. belair

belair

Pressing on - good for you. And Granpa would say "The hell with that old car, how are YOU, son?" Build him another one. Best of luck.

Flynn's_57 and 56premiere like this.
  28. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Thank you to everyone who expressed concern, and for anyone that cares-
    I saved the custom front end and will be picking-up a 2-dr hardtop '58 Pacer (Edsel) this week.
    And no worries! I'll start a new "build" thread, enough of this depressing topic!
    My buddy gave me his '58 4-door, but his dad gave me a '59 frame after we discovered my 2-dr custom front-end won't work on the 4-door.

clunker, RICH B, AndersF and 4 others like this.
  29. fegsta

fegsta