Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cry Baby, Baltimore and traditional hot rods.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, May 31, 2005.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I was watching Cry Baby last night and there's a few scenes from the high school parking lot and every single car appeared to be authentic and traditional.
    The film's from 1990 and most of America was in the death grip of monochrome paint and Miami Vice stripes.
    What was up with Baltimore? Were the cars all locals and who art directed the movie to keep it so authentic?
    Is it also true that a HAMBer owns Cry Baby's H-D KHK?
    Also what happened to Cry Baby's shoebox Ford?

2. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

and also a pink kaiser in that movie, pink seldom make a car look better that is fer sure

3. Gracie

Gracie

Is the new Waters movie out yet? The one about the girl with the big tits...

4. funny...
    i was watching the movie too, wife laughed at me for watching it again, but i thought the cars were worth watching a dumb movie for

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

girl with big tits ey, sounds like a great movie

6. Man, that movie is FUNNY! I can't even begin to count the number of times my wife and I have watched it. :cool:

7. Jeez Nads, I don't know. I grew up in Maryland, in a suburb of Baltimore. All I can remember from then (granted I was only 16 at the time) were the hoards of pastel, ugly-graphic'd cars, and a lot of nice stockers.

I went to a few shows with my dad every year, and there was one that sticks out. I can't remember where exactly it was, other than at a fairground. They had tons of muscle cars and stockers there (my dad had a thing for Isetta's), but I remember taking some pics of the chopped Mercs. One in particular was purple with ghost flames,wide whites, and I think it had some purple angel hair for a headliner.

I guess there could have been a small contingent of nice cars in Baltimore, but I never saw em.....

8. Action Girl

Action Girl

I'm not sure how the cars were chosen, but my Mom's car was used in the movie. Her car at the time was a Metallic baby blue 47 chevy convertible with a white top. You see it if you look for it, but it only appears for a few seconds. My mother's car, which was built by my mom and dad in the early part of the billet craze was very traditional, with wide whites, Lake pipes, white rolls & pleats, and chrome reverses. A true beauty that she kicks herself for selling.

I'll talk to my Mom today and see what I can find out about the selection process. She does have some pictures of Johnny Depp sitting in her car and she also got to have dinner with the cast during the filming which was very cool. I'll see if I can get some scans of the photos and post them.

I begged her to bring Johnny home for me, but it didn't work.

Stacey

9. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Considering John Waters the man, his usual budgets, and his penchant for all things Baltimore, its a safe bet they are 98% all local cars, 2% allowable error for scientific discrepancy.

The one thing I've always loved about Baltimore area is its drive to do its own thing, and I think it can be said of a lot of the people that live there too.

Big fan of Waters films, and Cry Baby's at the top.

10. I like Johnny Depp. Cool if a HAMB'er owns that bike.

11. Curt Six

Curt Six

I don't know who was in charge of organizing and picking the cars for Cry Baby in particular, but the few that I knew of that were in the movie were owned and driven - some of them daily - by locals. I do know that Waters regularly hangs out at some local bars where you'd be a lot more likely to find a traditionally styled rod or custom - or a stocker - then a turquoise and billet turd. In the mid to late 90's one of the guys that worked at the Club Charles, where Waters hangs out quite a bit, also worked as a car wrangler for one of the local production places. He had a pretty good idea of what was "traditional", and he even hooked up some of my friends and I with "work" back when they were filming the TV series "Homicide" (flashback sequences) and when Barry Levinson did "Liberty Heights" (set in the early 50's) by getting our cars on camera...for $200 a day!

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yeah man John Waters may, or may not be, a car guy, but his taste is impeccable, from music, to furniture and clothes.

There were some very cool cars in Crime Story too, which was set in Chicago.

13. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

Pecker has to be the second best waters film.

14. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

15. Gracie

Gracie

THAT'S IT.... that's the one I was talking about...

Its hilarious to me cuz the girl in the movie, her last name is Stickels, not a common name... and my best friend in Dayton, Heather, her last name was Stickels...

But they definitely don't look alike! ;)

hahaha Sorry Heather!:eek: :D

16. Gracie

Gracie

That's one of my favorites too... since my name is Grace... I used to have friends call and say "Full of Grace" to me all the time.... hahahaha :rolleyes: :D

17. monsterflake

monsterflake

john waters IS a car guy, his movies always have interesting cars,and his sense of style is impeccable. if i like john waters, does that make me gay?

18. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

MmmmmmmMMmm ssuuuuuuuuuugggaaaaaaaaarrr.........................

19. JimSibley

JimSibley

Hatchet face is having my baby!!!!!!!!!!

20. Action Girl

Action Girl

Ok,

I got some extra scoop...

At the time the movie was filmed, local car clubs were contacted and asked if they wanted their cars in the movie. She said some of the cars were changed to be more "correct" wheels were swapped, etc. Another friend of ours, Harry, had his panel truck completely painted by the film crew. This truck was at the Jalopy Showdown, it's blue and says "Kirk and Kayes" on the side.

Everyone got paid a small amount for the use of their vehicles, and if your car was moving in any scene you got paid much more. They wanted to use my Mom's car in the "chicken fight" sequence, but she declined as that was a scary proposition.

More dirt on the production dinner as well, everyone got to have dinner together after the filming was done so mom got to hang out with John Waters, Johnny Depp, Traci Lords, Rikki Lake, etc. My Mom sensed that Johnny was homesick and invited him back to our house to meet the family, see the cars etc. He actually ACCEPTED, but then they ended up re-shooting a few scenes that night and he had to stay at the site.

I could die.

Stacey

21. tred

tred

a dirty shame was actually very funny, johnny knoxville was pretty good in it. and chris isaak should stick to music.

you people haven't seen it yet?

22. Blaze

Blaze

I watch movies all the time like that, I just watched "Peggy Sue got married" the other day on HBO, just to look at the cars...:eek:

23. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I was actually gonna bring up 'Crybaby' the other day, but thought I'd get flamed for sure (I guess it takes 'Nads' to do something like that:D)
    Anybody have any pix? I've looked for stills online to no avail.

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That's 'cos I'm a rock star Jeppers Creepers.

Blaze, Peggie Sue Got Married makes me cry like a baby everytime I see it, I love that flick.

25. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

What's weird is that I can't find pix of just the cars. It's like I search for it and all I find are pictures of the ACTORS in the movie! Like what the hell?-who wants to see pictures of people who act in movies?
    Weird,man-weird...

26. Gracie

Gracie

Did you guys click on the website for the movie and listen to the soundtrack? Waters has such good taste in music!

27. This is the blue 1953 mercury that you see in the very first scene parked in front of the school....I had to sell her and some guy in ca bought her from me off ebay and he really didnt seem to give a damn about its history so god knows what he did with it.........

Attached Files: