Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cruising returns to Van Nuys Blvd

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vncruiser, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searcher

Searcher

I went to a car show last Friday in Old town Camarillo that they started in April on the last Friday of the month. The chamber of commerce is actully putting it on to try and bring in bussiness to the towns resturants and shops with many staying open later on that night.

I could'nt help but thinking of Van Nuys Blvd and what the local bussiness probably don't even relize what they have at their fingertips.

2. Bash

Bash

How did this thing get started? I'm writing an article about it. Also, tell me something about the history of the Van Nuys Cruising Association.

I'll be driving my black 40 coupe, I've got a leaking wheel cylinder on the T

Thanks

3. bash, it got started from this thread

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133776&page=20

i think gotcha lit a fire in us!!(after me and elrobo started arguing with him about how bad he thought the valley was now)

if i remember correctly elrobo was the first to bring up cruising van nuys again.

but VNCRUISER has really put in alot of work.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  4. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Appreciate the effort VNcruiser! Looks like we got a lot of eatin' to do! I'll be up there as soon as i can on Wed and hang around for the trash pick up after party!

5. elrobo818

elrobo818

YUP! thats how it went down! i threw the idea of getting a group together and cruising van nuys and possibly other cruise night spots.

vncruiser took charge of setting up a date and location.

my wife made flyers,

and EVERYONE had a played a big role in spreading the word around all over so cal!

if it werent for all the hambers and everyone else that had a part in getting the word out.... i dont think it would have been possible to RESURRECT the blvd!

just wanted to thank EVERYONE again for their hard work and effort put into making this cruise possible.

-ROBO.

6. Hotrodding is alive and well due to this board... Real Cruz nights. Ya gotta love it.

Thanks guys for all your work.

7. LiveWire64

LiveWire64

Thank you for the info. Think I will be staying home. Brad

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  8. Chicken!..LOL

9. Idol Racing Service

Idol Racing Service

Honestly, I don't necessarily believe that whole statement about "talking to my neighborhood cop friend stuff"! Beyond that, the LAPD is not going to harass a bunch of AARP members. They are looking for kids and for people that do stupid, and I mean stupid, stuff (ie troublemakers).

I can see the headlines now, "LAPD arrests 2000 seniors and impounds their antique and classic vehicles! Over 50 handicap buses and flat bed tow trucks responded! All vehicles sent to crusher for a greener America! Groucho tazed for vandalism of lawn chairs. Film at 11:00"...........

Maybe, Geraldo Rivera can do a special on this....."Wild seniors and their titanium walkers!"

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  10. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey Kent: What a scoop - here's the real story! Bring your camera gear this weekend.

11. Bash

Bash

Originally Posted by Idol Racing Service

I can see the headlines now, "LAPD arrests 2000 seniors and impounds their antique and classic vehicles! Over 50 handicap buses and flat bed tow trucks responded! All vehicles sent to crusher for a greener America! Groucho tazed for vandalism of lawn chairs. Film at 11:00"...........

Maybe, Geraldo Rivera can do a special on this....."Wild seniors and their titanium walkers!"

Hey Kent: What a scoop - here's the real story! Bring your camera gear this weekend.

Yeah, sounds like quite q story alright, however, as I understand, the LAPD will be attending "The Protect & Serve Donut Fest" to and help calm the jitters caused by the lack of glaze consumption. It's harder to quit than heroin according research scientist and doctors.

This is a yearly event that also happens to thankfully fall on July 8th.
    Here's a shot of one of their early events.

12. LOL!!! And, if I may add.....if your car's not currently registered, you're an irresponsible dumbshit that SHOULD have his car impounded:D.

13. Bash

Bash

News Flash from Kent Bash:

As the city of Van Nuys was approaching it's centennial, city fathers wanted to do something special to commemorate this grand occasion.

However, in thinking of all the great things that Van Nuys was famous for, they came to realized that every important social ritual such as things like cruising had been stopped, and every important landmark like Bob's, Oscars, A&W and both the Van Nuys & Victory Drive-in had been torn down.

Paranoid, that the public out cry may cause a renaissance in things that are both fun and beautiful, they funded a secrete project to create the ultimate protector of the so called public good.

They had planned to release this menace on the first Van Nuys cruise night revival on June 10th '09, except for an amazing stroke of luck. Thieves had broken into their lab, and all the Atomic robot killer cop heads were stolen right off the robots. The crime took place at the L.A.P.D.’s artificial intelligence laboratories in Van Nuys.

Unfortunately, as a consequence of poor police intelligence, the police were not able to shake out a single possible suspect, or come up with a single clue, or a scintilla of evidence to help and apprehend the thieves. The K2-2000 Copbot model 12, was the latest in robot technology.

A self contained atomic unit capable of passing out 2 to 3 thousand traffic tickets daily, plus handling any and all major crimes single handed, all while sporting that bad tempered high school bully attitude.

The theft has led to closing of the program, since the K2-2000 Copbot’s inventor’s disappearance coinciding, around the same time. He was last seen escaping in a big block Mustang down Van Nuys Boulevard.

Apparently what ever intelligents the police had, was lost when they lost their heads.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  14. That was great... You could write for a living you know...LOL

15. 58custom

58custom

I think I'll be there on the 8th, my birfday. I'll be in the Cougar as the '58 is in transition right now. If you see me, be sure to say "who are you?".

[​IMG]

16. whats new they are giving tickets for no front plates and tinted windows all over the valley. they got strike forces for that all the time

17. i got confermation that people are coming all the way from salinas, ca
    for this! should be good

18. Wow. How'd ya hear that?

19. Will there be more CRUISING this time or will I be one of about five cars that cruised all night like last time? Listen, you guys can pilot your lawn chairs anytime, this night is for CCRRUUUUUUUUIISSIINNGG! Got it?

20. HEY, another thing. I'm bringing trash bags and gloves and walking the lot after everybody leaves becasue I saw the lot when we left last time and you guys are a bunch of pigs. Spoken with the utmost sincerity of course. Who's with me?

21. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Just FWIW when I got pulled over in Burbank(yeah I know, I'm a rocket scientist) for spinning tires, I found out that was now an exhibition of speed or something similar, aka now it's a *STREET*RACING* violation and a Misdemeanor, which if you're like me and aren't a regular when it comes to police interaction, that means they tow off your car and haul you into jail. I confessed my sins and the guy cut me a break.

I dunno if the same laws apply in Van Nuys or how that works, I didn't wanna push my luck asking the fine points of traffic enforcement :D

He said it was severe now due to ricers on city streets racing and crashing and whatnot.

Just a heads up.

22. Well it's simple, don't be a dick out there and have a good time. Be a dick and I hope you get caught. And I'll laugh at you as they parade you by everybody in the back of the the Police car.
    There's an idea, parade the assholes by on the way to jail so we can all laugh at them. That'll teach them.

23. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I just wanted to say a huge THANKS to VNCruiser for going to the businesses and handing out flyers and talking to them! That's a *LOT* Of effort that most people aren't going to see, but will get the benefit of. Very selfless of you to do.

R. Seghi I'd help out with the trash, but I have to work at 10p on wed. I'll do my best to police up the lot while I'm there.

24. mzchevelle

mzchevelle

VNCRUISER...Kevin from Live Car Shows is going to contact you to see about setting up to film this momentus occasion. Also, they have a "live feed" so that those not fortunate to live in the Southland can sit back and watch it with their bag of popcorn and beer and see what they are missing! LOL!

I sent him to your website to find you. He's stoked about this event and wants to immortalize this for our Grandkids! What, me a Grandma? Not for awhile, baby!

P.S. I will help with the clean up of Rydell's lot. I will throw a couple of large trash bags in the back of the Chevelle! We owe those guys BIG for the use of that valuable piece of real estate!

Rikki

25. R. Seghi I'd help out with the trash, but I have to work at 10p on wed. I'll do my best to police up the lot while I'm there.[/QUOTE]

Any help out there will be appreciated.

26. That's not new and it's a state law, not Burbank.

27. BottleBob

BottleBob

R. Seghi:

While we all share the car subculture that is in our blood, there are distinctions and alternate perspectives. Otherwise there wouldn't be people that prefer low-riders, rods, 70's muscle cars, vans, customs, etc. etc.

Now some used to congregate on Van Nuys Blvd. to CRUISE, and some used to go to hang out with different groups of kids with similar car preferences.

Personally, I used to take side streets to get to & from Jack-In-The-Box, because that's where the street racers met. I wasn't really interested in cruising per se, but more focused on trying to get a race. Which didn't happen EVERY Wednesday (pretty slim pickings actually), but it happened often enough for me to continue to go.

Now as far as the resurrection of Van Nuys cruising goes, some like to keep moving up and down the blvd., others like to hook-up with old friends and catch up on what's been happening in their lives the last 20 years or so. Or even meet HAMBers, and put a face to the handles in here. All that is kinda hard to do while in constant motion.

Different strokes - for different folks.

I hope everyone had an EXPLOSIVE 4th.

28. Idol Racing Service

Idol Racing Service

I'd advise hiring a lawyer. I had an "Exhibition of Speed" ticket about 10 years back (in Burbank). While the cost of the fine is about what a lawyer will cost, he may be able to get the charge lowered and/or dropped. This ticket will stay on your record for seven years, if nothing is done. It's considered just below a DUI and falls under reckless driving. The insurance costs plus maybe losing your license and/or even getting your insurance cancelled, makes a lawyer well worth the price.

If you need help in finding one, I can give you a reference and provide info on the final outcome.

Good luck!
    Rob

29. That's been exhibition of speed since Christ was a baby

30. Very true! I'd also like to add an idea. Rydell can let us use the lot from 6-9PM. At 8.30 (dusk) we start leaving the lot (ALL OF US) to cruise, by 9 the lot's empty and the entrances blocked so we cannot return. People that wanna cruise can cruise. People that wanna hang out, can do it in several "pockets" along the cruise route. Or something like that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.