Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cruising or Drag Racing which do you prefer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MXrider13, Feb 3, 2011.

1. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Cruising to the drags..... Racing....... and cruising home. Gary

2. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Definately Cruising. Drag Racing is like bad sex. Any man who can't go for longer than 10 or 15 seconds has a problem.

3. cruzing these days in the 60.

4. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

O.k., actually no...I don't. Well...I do, but it's largely just symbolic....:D
    Come to think of it, I can't even successfully drag race anymore, either.... not until my truck is back from paint and together again.
    Christ, I'm a freakin' loser!

5. Pigiron

Pigiron

Drag Racing! No all chrome, no go cars at the drags!

Attached Files:

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

So is being married. I do both drag and cruise.

7. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

ah, the eternal question.
    too cruise the street and get the old ego stroked or have to change your shorts because the race car was faster than you thought and almost kissed the guard rail.
    what a dilemma!!
    i have both, but i pretty much quit street driving when i couldn't find anyone that wanted to drive further than 10 miles from home. i mean, the drive is ok, but when you get where your going, what do you? nothing!! sit on your butt and drink and lie about your car. how much you spent, how fast it is and such. boring!!!
    also, when i realized i could scare the crap out of myself, on a regular basis, with a 10 second altered for a hell of a lot less money than a street car, i was hooked.
    about the only down side to my kind of racing is, finding a strip that has some kind of class or bracket i can run in. (if it ain't a doorslammer, it's very hard to find a strip to run at)
    that brings up another sore point with me. what the hell is it with all the doorslammer tv shows and drag races and such. i mean, i never got a check from any of the big three when i did drive their doorslammers.
    you can build a t altered for about 5-6 grand and go 10's. you sure as hell can't do that with a 3400 lb lard bucket doorslammer, plus stay together.
    i guess it's like my brother says, i drive a nova or mustang whatever, product identification.
    if you have never did 10 seconds in a 1500 lb altered, you don't know squat about drag racing.
    well anyway, let the flaming begin.

8. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Well, I have been in drag racing for some 30+ years, and had hot rods for about the same time, but never had a single car I could do both.
    Now, I'm old and would rather be racing at the strip. I've got an "Ole B/SM car" and really love to just go out and have fun..................no tuning, wrenching, spending gobb's of money, just go out and run................last year I scared myself doing 9.801 @ 133, and this year we will see if I can't "Push The Envelope" a little.
    The first picture on the left was taken at Fremont, CA in 1980 with the previous owner, the next is at the Redding Drag Strip and the third is in my garage waiting for this year.

Attached Files:

9. dragdaddyO

dragdaddyO

Pavement is for getting there Water is for Racing.
    My idea of Crusing is getting in the car and rolling out of town, next thing you know your 3 or 4 hundred miles from home.

Attached Files:

10. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

HA .. We cruise to the Drags and watch the others burn the fuel, good times!

11. the other me

the other me

both...I'm always looking for a drag race while cruising!!!

12. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

No flaming, but I'll bite. There's lots of ways to enjoy drag racing or street cars, hot rods etc for that matter. According to you I don't know squat about drag racing -as I've yet to race an altered - fair enough. :p
    Though, I will tell you this: Build something from scratch on sawhorses in your garage. Take it to the track and Mash the gas pedal. That's gonna equal FUN no matter what it runs. :)

13. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Cruising in a drag race style car :D

15. For me now that I'm over 60, Cruising is #1. I own 4 different hot rods, one is a legal NHRA Super Gas Roadster. Off the throttle stop this thing should run low 9's somewhere 140-150 MPH. I would rather go for a cruise in one of my 41 Chevy Hot Rod trucks. The Drag race car is horrible on the pocket book. The money it costs for a set of rear tires, fuel, entry fees, chassis upgrades, not counting a physical every two years for the competition license, freshen up the motor, a set of pistons, new converter. I can build a cool street hot rod. Cruising lasts more than 10 seconds, and I can do it on pump gas.
    [SIZE=4The Billetproof Cruise In Chehalis Washington is one of my favorite as well as the Cruise the Gorge in The Dalles Oregon. It's time to sell the drag race car.[/ COLOR][/SIZE]

Attached Files:

16. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

17. 1320/150

1320/150

10's with a 1500lb. car??? Time to replace the old tired 283 2bbl???

18. John T.

John T.

Working in the garage should have been thrown in the mix. Drag racing gets too exspensive, cruising is fun, but it's not like it was years ago when there was a bunch of other cruisers out there (atleast around here). I enjoy working on the Hotrod or just a good project in the garage, followed by a test ride with some hellacious burnouts.

19. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

x2.

20. At this point of my life I'm diggin' drag racing. In 1962 when I got out of high school and bought my 41' Ford convert. that's all I did was cruise. From one burger joint to the next, looking for girls and checking out the cars. It was different then. It was SPONTANEOUS. Nothing was organized. You knew where the hot places were to go and that's where you went. Today you "cruise" to some place and park, take out your lawn chair and your cooler and sit on your ass and thinking how cool you are. Enough! Now I cruise out to the drag strip with my 34' coupe and have a fun day of racing and I'm lovin' it!

21. hackster

hackster

i personally like to cruise to the drag strip:cool:

22. hackster

hackster

yeah thats not very good at all!!!!!!!!!:D

23. I cruise in my o/t 69 nova and then drag it to 11 80's untouched, then cruise back home. And when my gasser is done, same thing.

24. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I haven't done any drag racing really but I can say that there is nothing better after a crappy day at work than getting in my car and cruising my day away.

Sam

25. big bad john

big bad john

........I like cruising.....I'am to old to run the strip any more.....still go the watch the cars.....did of lot of drag racing when I was a kid.....

26. Deuces

Deuces

I'd like to see LIONS Drag Strip re built on the spot as the old one.... And make that home for the nostolgia drag races.....

27. I drive my cars everyday as a rule and race once a year if I have something on the road at the time of the race in question.

I'm not sure what everyone considers to be cruising. If it involves getting together with a bunch of fellas and driving around it is not real high on my list as a rule. But there is one reliablity run that I do enjoy so I can't say that I don't or won't do it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  28. Jung

Jung
    from London, UK

Drag is less of a cultural institution over here. It's fun racing off a set of lights but mostly it's just nice to drive around with some friends, talk crap and watch the scenery roll by.

Motorcycles have always been where I've found my high speed, low level assault kicks. Bikes are great selfish pleasures, cars are wonderful to share.

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

For me, I like watching the Drag Racing, and doing the Cruising

like Cruising to the Race track

30. i'll take a dose of both... can't go wrong with either