Register now to get rid of these ads!

cruise o matic vs. C6 swap?!!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crashhead, Apr 2, 2010.

1. So, i've got a '62 Galaxie with a 390cui engine.
    It has a bad Cruise o Matic trans.

I was thinking about getting a rebuilt C6 to put in it.

Does anyone knof it the C6 fits right on. In length, brackets etc??

Would appreciate an answer.

Also..i would be interested in buyin a C6, or worse case scenario a good Cruise O Matic

Thanks / Hank

2. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Hi,

I have a C-4 in my 1964 Ranchero and it works well behind a 350+ hp 302. I have encountered several people that are using them instead or a C-6. The C-4 is physically smaller and lighter and can be strong.

Jan in Ojai, CA

3. Deuces

Deuces

A C6 should bolt up behind a 390.. See what the other guys say about this combo.....

4. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

You may have to use a newer flywheel and starter. I think the 62 is a reverse bendix starter.

5. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

you have to find a fe c6 i dont know about size but you would get to use a better starter

6. My son & I replaced the Cruise O with a C-6 in his 59 T-bird. The case above the Torque Converter is larger on the C-6 but it still missed the firewall by 1/2 inch. The trans mount is in a different location but a simple plate will take care of that. I built him a new trans cross member since his FE is close to 500 HP. Trans to engine bolt patterns are the same but you'll need a starter for a C-6. Take care on the tooth count of the flex plate as well, I'm not sure if they are the same.

Movin/on