Register now to get rid of these ads!

cruise nights insured?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1931S/X, Sep 23, 2007.

1. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i went to a cruise night the the other night and didnt register. last time i went the guy was bugging me to. they came around and asked why i didnt register again. they kind of gave me an attitude, but at the same time i think they were offended that i didnt want anything to do with thier club. when my wife asked ok fine where do i register, they say oh no its to late it just closed for the nite. they went on to tell how it is very important to register incase something happens to my car, i am covered. is this just a really lame attempt to get me to register or what? i know everyone is sue happy these days, but i find it hard to believe some little fly by nite club is insuring the show and all the cars every week.

2. I never heard of registering for a cruise-in,,,unless they are getting a list of people to send flyers of upcoming events.HRP

3. flathead4d

flathead4d

Sounds like an invitation for snail mail SPAM to me.

4. metalman

metalman

I use to put on a monthly cruise night with a friend who managed a resteraunt in his parking lot. We made everyone register per the resteraunt owner so everyone signed a waiver we were NOT responsable for damages or injury. I would have a hard time believing they would buy event insurance for a non-profit cruise night.

5. lolife

lolife

Call the cops, and have him arrested for running a carnival without a permit.

He's probably running the database for the regional car thiefs.

6. Tony

Tony

I was thinking the same thing. I find it hard to believe that anyone would want you to register so that thier ins could cover you in case of an incident.
    Most, if not all of these places would never want the responsibility of covering anyone's ass but themselves.
    If this guy is being straight up in saying by signing THEY will cover you in case of a problem, i'm impressed..But i think he maybe misunderstood what the reasoning behind it was honestly.

7. thats total bullshit. I belonged to a club that put on a cruise at a BBQ dump every 2nd saturday of the month for the summer. The money from registration we kept, and was used to cover the cheap trophys and door prizes. The other moneys were put into our club treasury and used for our club only Christmas party, i.e. rented ballroom, open bar etc, etc. So the more we could get to register... the more money. The insurance policy umbrella we had to host this kind of event was more to protect the BBQ place from liability. If something was to happen, are you going to sue a small time car club? Whos going to pay your honor? NOBODY!! So thats bullshit on their part. But for us it worked out good, the BBQ dump got patrons as well as looking like its open due to full parking lot and we got cash for cheap trophys. It amazed me the levels some of these people go to get a trophy... pretty stupid.

8. beatnik

beatnik

It's weired, no one ever registers here for cruise night, although they do hand out tickets for drawings during the night.

I know if you run a year of manufacuring plates or antique plates in Michigan then technically by the law your only suppose to be on the road if your going to a car show, parade or cruise, so maybe that was there thinking. If your registered than you could prove it, but I've never heard of anyone having to prove it to either an inurance compnay or the cops.

9. We ask, but don't demand, that people register. It lets us send them flyers for our events. Also ALL the money (or canned goods) we take in goes to either the local food pantry or to a local charity for needy kids.

10. It's to protect the place, not your car. Step away from the bong, man.

11. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

we have them register if they want to. we have sponsored trophy's and he/she who registered is eligible to get a trophy if our sponsor picks the car......... we have our cruise at a McDonalds so we have insurance encase so thing happens we are protected and also no one can go after McDonalds .............. I have heard at a cruise a few years ago that a car club was holding a cruise at a hamburger joint one night and so guy who was just a there to view the car tripped and got hurt him self. he sued the hamburger joint and the club........ if they club had insurance that guy would have gotten the money from the insurance co. and not the club nor the hamburger joint...... p.s. it is free to go to our cruise, we get the sponsors to pay for the trophies and any extra money we make we give to charity except for a small prudent reserve.

12. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

We (my family) have been holding cruise nights every summer for 26 years. Never a registration. Registration is just to get money to cover costs to put on a show. Wherever the show is held, that is who is responsible for any insurance claims.

13. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Street Rodder Magazine ran an editorial on "Club Insurance"several years ago,It seems that at a club held cruze night a child got hurt by someone at the event.I don't remember the exact details other than the child was hit by an attending car.the club got sued and when the dust settled 3 club members had lost their homes in the setlement!other members lost lots of cash but those who couldn't pay their share lost their homes to auction!Suddenly Club activity insurance doesen't look like a bad idea !

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dunno about the US but a local club (My fathers) down in Victoria closed down their monthly cruise as the insurance they had to have by law got to the point where they would have to start asking 5-10 bucks rather than the 'gold coin donation' (1-2$) to cover it. Protected the club, the participants (That entered) and the venu.
    Unfortunately as the hot rod movement in Australia is relatively small it was opened up to all Hot Rods, Customs and Street Machines. (Tuners were too scared to try and drop in, funny what image we have here!)
    The Street Machiners caused the hike in insurance costs showing off dropping wheelies at the gate.
    Its better to have the insurance or you could loose out, BAD!
    Register it may save you a whole lot of grief. If your still wondering why they asked and think its all BS get off your dumb arse and find out a little of the legal aspects to running/attending/hosting something like this and if your not scared into registering I"ll be nice enough to drop a few cents into the paper cup next to your cardboard box home.

15. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

liabilty insurance is required for any public event, but the insurer does not insure cars only people if they get hurt.
    Waivers of liability I have only seen at race events, Auto-X, Rallys to Trans-Am events, Therees were only signed by staff of the event. The waiver of liability is provided by the insurance company. Also at any event the prooff of insurance must be displayed near the point of entrance.
    My wife and I were registars with Sports Car Club of America, and I also was on the board of Land O Lakes region of SCCA. over the years I have dealt with my share of thoose forms.

16. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i just think they want my info. most of them dont even know what my car is. i also think they want to give me a trophy to keep me coming back. the one time i went the guy was telling me i should register because they need more cars like mine at thier events. i dont feel the need to have some fly by nite club knowing my information. name, number, car info, and address. its a little to wierd for me. im not into any of the trophy stuff. i usually just show up, look around and split. oh, im almost positive the registration is free. maybe next time i go ill ask what kind of coverages they have and if i can have a copy to take home and read. ive been to a really huge monthly show a few times, they dont ask for anything at all, but they dont give trophys either.

17. long island vic

long island vic

in the beginning of the bellmore railroad station cruise...about 10 or so years back the locals and polititions wanted to cover there ass so they made us form a non for profit club..r,e, the friday nite cruisers...we had to carry 2 million in coverage to have the lot from 5 pm to 11 pm, then pay 250.00 for cleanup we asked for but could not demand 5.00 a car for the year