Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Cruise: A Hot Summer Night in LA, 1959

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Cruise: A Hot Summer Night in LA, 1959

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. Dizzy from going around in circles.

31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

The footage looks almost too perfect! Amazing! Very cool! I haven’t been to Bob’s in awhile because of my work schedule. It’s really neat to see it without the apartments behind the parking lot!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I swear, I don't know how, but this is what I see when I go to sleep. Maybe I'm sleeping now...

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Nice cropping of the frame at the beginningp of the video from HAMBURER to "HAMB"!

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Ah you saw that!

dana barlow and Special Ed like this.
  7. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

One confession- This footage is very likely from the Spring or early Summer of 1960. There is a Corvair parked on the street that you just see for a quick second. Figured one of you eagle-eyed viewers would see it!

8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

@Jive-Bomber did you have too pay any kind of licensing fee for using that? I tried posting some stuff water marked Getty images from Lions 1956 but it wouldn't work. Or maybe i just don't know how too post media.:rolleyes:

9. greybeard360

greybeard360

Not sure how Getty gets the photos they do but if you use one of their photos without permission you will get a letter from one of their lawyers.

10. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

That's what i thought. I have the video's saved to my computer but didn't dare post them on my thread. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lions-1956.1182296/

11. J_J2

J_J2

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yep! And I think a saw one of those '48 Ford styled Volvos just near the end...

13. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

You know what's so strange? I'm able to tell you the make and year model of every car in the video. I might be off a year, but damn close.

Try that on the freeway today. It'd be an easy black and white video with some shades of gray thrown in. Black, white and gray cars on a color background. "What make is that one?" – "How can you tell?"

31hotrodguy likes this.
  14. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Bitchin! Simpler times.....

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

For as nice as the film is of this time period, that copyright image is bothersome. The images are super clear and they must have used a pro 35mm movie camera for clarity. One thing that is noticeable in the cars on the street parked. A window or two is rolled down and no one is around. The times were relatively free and easy, but when parked on a street of any kind, we had to lock our car and not leave a window open.
    upload_2020-8-27_4-56-40.png Grissinger’s
    Every hot rod drive-in restaurant or just a popular restaurant had its followers. There was a circuit for cruisers around the Bixby Knolls area. If one started at Grissinger’s, stayed there in the back row for a while and left to go elsewhere, the exit took you around the block. That turn led to roads leading to another popular hot rod hang out on the next major street to the West. It was Kens’ Burgers and Family Restaurant complex with a huge parking lot adjoining both dining properties. This was the least expensive hamburger place in the area.

upload_2020-8-27_4-56-57.png Hof's Hut
    Then if the girls got tired of hanging out at a burger place, they drove down the street to Hof’s Hut, a sit down restaurant. It was a sit down restaurant, but we turned it into a cruising restaurant because of the small alley running along the side of the huge plate glass windows at one end of the restaurant.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/reflections.1042507/page-3#post-11811509

Only the teenagers used the small alley, as it was entered at the back of the restaurant parking lot, where the workers parked their cars. It was the ultimate showcase for watching for friends, hot rods and cruisers waving at each other through the huge, floor to ceiling, plate glass windows. The views were nice from the cars or from the giant booths at that end of the building.

Jnaki

Then as that circuit got old, it was time to go back to the original drive-in restaurant, Grissinger’s to end the night. It was always "the place" for outsiders from another neighborhood came to see the fast hot rods/cruisers and perhaps pick up or lose some money. Those incidents took place about 4 blocks away at the famous, “Cherry Avenue” drags.
    upload_2020-8-27_5-8-30.png Grissinger's is currently called George's 50s Diner.

Car windows were always down in the hot summer nights, but the term “up sails” was used when approaching the darkened cemetery at Cherry Avenue. Every little bit helps, even if it did nothing, but keep the air from blowing all around inside of the car going down the street at high speed.

i.rant likes this.
  16. milton homan

milton homan

Sweden is like this today

17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford