Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Crossing brands on powerplant choices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AlmightyCrash, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

Engine-brand swaps are part of "hot-rodding", and I have no problem with it.
    What irritates Me is that it's usually Chevys, and pretty much always GMs (Olds, Buick). I have nothing against any of them, but there's more to life and hot-rodding than just GMs.

I saw a gorgeous '53 Chevy 5-window pickup at a car show, and was pleasantly shocked to see a Ford 351w under the hood. There needs to be more stuff like this. I have a co-worker who has a '41 Studebaker with a Chrysler 318 LA under its hood. I think it's cool.

To conclude, I say that unless it's a highly collectable or rare car, stock is boring. If you can make it better, or simply unique, I say do it...

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Tony

Tony

I gotta agree on both these..
    Pulling an early Olds, Buick or Cad for a sbc isnt something id do. Those early 8's a killer motors!
    Im a Chevy guy and aside from some ci gain there is no point in pulling a fine running 283/327 etc just to have a 350 yet i've seen it done time and time again.
    Only good thing about it is i've been fortunate a few times to grab the "old" motor after they are pulled. Lol
    I'm not 100% brand loyal but i'll admit as i said above, i am a Chevy guy so i always lean towards them in everything...
    But my first choice is always a 327....or 409...not a 350. ;)
    Truth be told, if i had enough money and could find enough 409's, i'd have them in everything ! Hahaha
    Tony

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    TagMan likes this.
  3. I've basked in the ignorance of not "understanding" how poor the alternative sbc's are too. I have a Great running, low miles 307 running in one of my rods to prove it. I got it for $0 for being the only one "dumb" enough to cart it away.

I do remember going with my brother to look at a pickup that was advertised locally. He wanted a 55-57 chevy and the ad stated "1955 chevrolet pickup, v8 automatic, etc" and a pretty decent price. We raced over and found a 55 1st series (AD) with a 318 two barrel and 904 with the plymouth front stub scabbed on. Looking back it could've been a fun cruiser, but it really wasn't what he had in mind.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, in this day & age of anything goes and pretty soon it'll be mandatory to marry your pet dog, you ask if you can cross brand an engine and ask it on the most traditional hot rod forum in the Universe? Do you not know they put Caddy and Olds and Nailhead V8's into just about anything & everything 60 or more years ago?

Whoever started that crap about a "Ford-in-a-Ford", anyway ?????

5. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Cross brand whatever you want with the objective of going faster, performing better and looking good while doing it.

willbe likes this.
  6. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

How's a jetboat (Olds big block) engine in a 50's Chevy p/u?

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Back in 49' when OHV engines took over the world it was! And Ford didn't make the leap from flathead to OHV engines until '53 (mopar in '51) the story was that when Ex NASCAR driver and car owner Junior Johnson got a new 40' Ford moonshine hauler the first thing he'd do was rip out the flatty and put in a Cadillac motor.

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about a 472 cu inch Caddy in a 55 T-Bird ,gasser, no less. Friend of mine is currently building this. Dare to be different.
    Tony s Caddy powered Thunderbird..jpg Tony Gentiles 55 T-Bird rs.jpg

slammed, 69fury, TagMan and 2 others like this.
  9. slammed

slammed

All freakin' day^^^^^^long!

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

^^^ Yep! A Cadibird!

11. Well I got a balls to the walls 394 and a B&M hydro almost ready to change owners. it would be a right fit for sure and would take a lot of imagination to get it in there and working but it would sure make your little brit shit'n'git. ;)

The first really off the wall engine swap I ever had a hand in was a 283 in a bug eyed sprite. We did it in the Ag shop at school my freshman year. Not being total packaging wizards when it was done the front sheet metal wouldn't quite cover it (engine set too high) so it ended up with a hole in the hood for the carb and two bumps to make room for the rocker covers. But it was a hoot to drive. ;)

Vicky,
    This mill is cool to the freakin' bone. :cool:
    Yours?

[​IMG]

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I liked the '33 Willys coupe running a Brigs and Stratton lawn tractor engine in it.

Of course my '33 is running an inline six.

[​IMG]

Say wha?

kiwijeff and Hnstray like this.
  13. I personally don't think it should matter at all. I mean when it is all said and done, I'm pretty sure we call our cars CUSTOMS!

14. Frenchtown I just gotta say this and you are available, 6s are sissy motors. :D :D :D

Gotcha. ;)

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

But I love it when they do! I've been helping a guy on another forum with a built 302 Ford in a '49 Chevy sedan (sure fits nice!)

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Have you no shame!

Baron likes this.
  17. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

No shame at all,with all those poor Fords getting stuck with "belly button" motors it's kind of nice to see a change on the field :D with things the other way around. It would be cool if members would post some pictures of Ford motors in Chevys and Mopars just so us ford guys won't feel left out ;)

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Turbo Buick in a Chevrolet.
    Grand Nat Chevy.JPG

19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chevy powered by a BB Ford Ford powered Chevrolet.jpg

20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Caddy powered Highboy ( same owner as the 55 T-Bird. Tony worked at a Caddy dealership years ago and really like d these torque monsters) Tony Gentiles Caddy powerd AOn Deuce rails.jpg

21. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

THE MOST FUN I HAVE HAD IN A DECADE WAS 6 YEARS AGO I RETIRED AFTER 30 YEARS AT 8:00 A.M. TOOK A NAP AND INSTALLED A DODGE HEMI IN MY 1940 FORD !!COUPE AT 1:00 P.M. FORDMERC TRANSMISSION 001.JPG

jimcolwell likes this.
  22. I think this thread has run its course; build what you want; post if appropriate...yada yada yada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.