Register now to get rid of these ads!

cross steering tie rod rnd?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35Chevy.com, Jan 24, 2010.

1. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Has anyone used these for a cross steering setup?

I was thinking of using them on my 35 Chevy.

Gary

[​IMG]

2. nutajunka

nutajunka

With the right fab. work I think so.

3. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

GM uses a slightly different taper than Ford's 7°, the one shown is a Jeep part from what I understand and I'm not sure what the taper it is. The 11/16" x 18 thread is the same as Ford though.

4. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

The picture is of a ford style from the Speedway Catalog. My steering arms are currently tapered for the 7° rod ends.

So I guess my question is has any one used these for a cross steer setup using a vega or similar box.

Gary

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

From there description in there catalogue the threaded end goes into your tie rod, and your drag link attaches to the tapered hole. Should work great I would think. Do you only have one mounting point on the passenger side steering arm?

6. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

It has the original steering arms. If this will work it would solve some steering box clearance issues I would have trying to maintain the current side steer setup.

But before I invest any money I wanted to know if anyone had used them before.

Gary

7. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

BTT for todays crew

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Works fine but will quicken your steering slightly because the mounting point is a little closer to the kingpin as you are operating off the tierod hole. It has the same thread and taper as early Ford.

9. David Chandler

David Chandler

I've thought about using them, but haven't yet. The thing I wonder about is now you would have the steering end not lined up in the same plane as the steering arm box. I don't know if that would create a binding situation in the travel of the drag link. The rod ends have only so much give, and that to me puts all of the travel on one instead of dividing it with the opposite side. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for you.

10. i used one once because the steering arm on the passenger side ford spindle was missing the drag link hole , it worked fine

11. willymakeit

willymakeit

I think this is the one we used to the 525 Sag. box swap on the 53/56 F100's. Works fine.

12. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I have used them several times, they work fine. They do make the steering a bit quicker. I use them with the Unisteer rack as it gives you a better turn radius. Get the one from Speedway, it is tapered from both sides so you can attach the drag link where you need it.

And yes, it's an OE Jeep part, from a CJ 3 in the 50s and 60s.