Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cross ram Hemi ? whats it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leon renaud, Nov 23, 2007.

1. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Hey guys I just got a lead on 2 cars going for scrap and from the description of one its a cross ram hemi car I will be checking both out tomorrow some time early in the AM one is a 50S Nash the other i have heard 3 makes for all I'm sure of is that the motor is supposed to be a hemi and it's got this weird thing like arms that go over the top of the motor from side to side.Well i described the lay out of a cross ram and I,m told that this is exactly what the woman saw under the hood of a station wagon .Heres the deal I can buy these cars but I need to roll them over fast and I can buy them for stupid money SCRAP PRICE!but I will be using money that is for home expenses and need the accountant "The wife"to you unmarried guys to see I ain't nuts grabbing these.the Hemi car is a longroof and either a desoto or a plymouth I'm also told there is supposed to be a 57 chevy there as well.Now I know that these things can all turn into Hundais when i go to see them but the girl who is telling me does junking quite a bit and made a special trip here to tell me these cars are in good shape and shouldn't get junked so right now hopes are hi I ll be checking in around 11 pm my time to see what you guys have to say. Everything will go here on the HAMB if I make a deal so please shoot me some figures if ya want a part or a Whole car PM me tommorrow I'll have pics of everything

2. Big Dad

Big Dad

without some idea of what it is a picture a accurate discription

Sounds like its long ram set up kinda

but its worth allot more than scrap price

If it is a long ram they bring 800 bare, 1400 with all parts included
    and up

3. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

It aint no Hemi though!

4. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

In a wagon has to be kinda rare though,go get it!

5. Big Dad

Big Dad

People call everything a "Hemi"

You snap a picture or two .. I can tell yah RFN

any multiple carb mopar intakes are worth grabbing

6. A factory crossram wagon would be worth enough money to pay for a really nice Christmas for the next 20 years. Maybe more. Look for trap doors in the inner fenders, depending on the year and make they cut them out factory to clear the rams. Could be ordered on Dodge & Plymouth like 60-61-62. I sent a PM your way.

7. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I wouldn't mind having a long ram setup!

8. storm king

storm king

There were two versions of that intake system, and it is usually on a 413 big block. One is actually known as a 'short ram'; the other a 'long ram'. Either way, I'd grab it. I would not pay too much attention to what others say its worth, either. Its worth what someone is willing to give you for it when you need to sell it. Nothing else applies as a rule of measure.

9. An older friend of mine had a 60/61 Dodge 4 door hardtop with the long ram - the carbs were out over the valve cover. I don't recall the cubic inches but I do remember that puppy would eat up some highway. He went on to buy a '63 Polara 4 door sedan with a 415 horse 426 wedge and the next year 64 Dodge 2 door aluminum nose car with a stage III 426 horse 426 wedge.

Charlie

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A crossram Mopar for "scrap price"? Why are you wasting your time on here asking questions? GO BUY IT and sort the rest out later.

11. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I'm being taken out where the cars are sometime Saturday I;ll get pics then but don't want to appear to eager.We all know the hemi in a barn thing and how they can suddenly turn into a rusted out Hundai I just needed the old lady to see that I wasn't wasting our money on worthless junk .My hopes are high because for the last 15 years thios girl has been around the junking business and she came to me to try and stop these cars from getting scrapped she's working for the guy that had them given to him for scrap she knows cars as far as most go but never saw a car with this style intake !she says the are in real good shape for how old they are and they need saving.She also tried not to look too interested in order to be able to tell me about them and this guy not realize that he has potential$$$$$$$$ ready to go for scrap.I will post how all went tomorrow and mabey some pics too

12. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

That's my first reaction also. Nevertheless it would be a very rare piece and worth the money.

13. Please, please, if the car is anywhere near complete don't pull the engine and junk the rest. There's quite a faction around now that's into preserving them ol longroofs and I'm sure someone will want it.

Jay

14. storm king

storm king

Long rams and big block Mopars sure look nice on T buckets!

15. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I'm very anxious to see what comes out of this.
    It sure "sounds" cool, but Hemi's and longrams don't mix.
    Longrams also came on 361 engines (and 383 I believe).

If it looks anything like the intake I have on below pic... I might be interested in another set. ;)

[​IMG]

16. I'll say it again; the rams bring $2000-$4000 pretty regular - the whole car's liable to bring $20,000 if it's not a rusted out piece of crap - and will bring the price of the rams even if it is rusted out. I think it's well worth the time to save the car - as long as the springs aren't up through the rear frame it shouldn't be hard to move.

17. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

lol....check out the post I just put up..

18. T-Faust

T-Faust

Here is a hint. What you want is everything. That includes the supports and the exhaust manifolds if you can get them. Most particularly the air filters. The rams go about $800. the air filters probably $1200. The whole set uop, with carbs and linkage, supports and air filters could easily see $4,000.

They only made very few of the short rams. Easy to tell the difference. The inner divider of the rams telegraphs through to the exterior. "Short ram" manifolds will only show the "telegraph" along the lower half of their length.

long rams can be made into short rams, thtis abnother story.

19. Everyone thinks they're an expert based on looking at one Ebay auction that's in the wrong category, has one bid, and only has been up like half a day (6 days 9 hrs to go). Try selling Forward Look era Mopars for 10 years or so and come back to me, okay?

A FACTORY crossram car is worth big bucks. A factory crossram wagon might be a one-of-one car. I can put you in touch with all the guys who can decode the fender tag and look at the pictures and should be able to determine if it's a real original, or not, pretty quickly.

A hackjob or put-together car, isn't worth so much. That said, there's easily $5500 in parts on the '61 Windsor in the eBay link. Rams $2000 or more; cluster, $150, rear glass, $200, bumpers $150 each if the chrome is as nice as it looks; grille $250; good solid fenders $200 each, etc.

20. Squablow

Squablow

A Sonoramic Commando '60 Suburban wagon would be the coolest thing ever. I agree with everyone else that it'd be worth a lot more as a whole car than just to pull the parts off of it, so get the whole car. It might be too rusty for you to fix it, but someone in Sweden will do it up right and pay the price to have it shipped too.

I've had so many stories about the "whatever" car that's stored away and it's rarely what the people think it is. But any old car has some good useable/resaleable parts on it so save whatever's there, even if you don't make millions on it. I can't believe there's a single complete old car out there that wouldn't be worth more than scrap price if it were parted out or resold.

21. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

never said I was an expert of any kind....just thought it was funny that I saw that on ebay and then this post within minutes of eachother.

22. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

just me, but if I could buy them for scrap price it would be a no-brainer, I'm with whoever said buy now, sort it out later. I've been thinking about setting up a tent across from one of our local junkyards...can't believe what some folks are hauling in there...and once it crosses the scales...it's a parts car from then on!!

23. Don't forget the early 426 Race Hemi has a cross-ram intake, too. Not like the ones shown in this thread, but semi-common in the '60s for drag racing. So you could concievably find yourself looking at a survivor race car from that era. Again, like I said, usually worth big $$$$ whole.

24. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

time for the big let-down boys: one is a plymouth longroof, one is a nash, neither is a hemi nor a cross ram. But at least, they're not Hundais. They're both available until Sunday night if any one is still interested. Does anyone need a part?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Big Dad

Big Dad

The wagon is a 56 Plymouth

well worth parting out .. rare car to find parts for

26. There's guys in the wanted section looking for stuff for those Plymouths.. windshield in particular. Taillights are worth a good buck.

27. chopperkid13

chopperkid13

i got long rams if you really want em hahahaha

but seriously, these will find there way on to the 440 in putting together for my pop's '63 newport

[​IMG]

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'm sending sololobo a PM, he was recently looking for parts for a '56 wagon. Mostly trim, I believe.

29. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

just for info... daimler built saloon style and a sports car with jaguar that had hemis with crossram "tube-style" intakes ca. 1960. when i say tubestyle i mean like the max wedges. not the one piece cast pieces like on the 426. they came complete with sidedraft strombergs and i think they are largely aluminum in construction.

30. Big Dad

Big Dad