Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cross member patching question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robert_t_wallace, Aug 6, 2009.

1. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

I posted in another question about my cross membe and have decided to patch it. What gauge metal is used for this and where is a good place to buy that small of a quantity. I think Lowes carries small pieces, but wanted to get some feedback...

2. Ole don

Ole don

11 Ga. is .120 What many frames are made of.

3. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

cool..any idea where I can get a small piece for patching my cross memeber. I hate calling up the metal supply house to buy a piece the size of a dollar bill..

4. if i recall correctly , you posted a picture of a Model A Ford front crossmember....they are thicker than 1/8 , maybe closer to 3/16

5. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

most metal supply places will let you dig through their REM pieces and buy it at a REM weight. Call them and ask if they have a good amount of REM pieces and then stop in a pick out some pieces you can use.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Some of the frame siderails are 11 gauge.
    The crossmembers are usually thicker.
    Measure it with your micrometer then match the thickness to something in your scrapmetal pile.
    You do keep every piece of metal you get, right?
    If you dont have anything just ask your friends for a small piece to fit

7. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

8. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

you are right..I did post a pic of a Model A cross member..

9. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

There is actually a metalsupermarket 20 minutes from my office and they do sell that small of a piece..quoted me a whopping dollar.. I Really appreciate the info!!! just need to know the thickness. Don't have a micrometer so would appreciate any input on that one...

10. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

Going to the metal store today to buy the patch material for the cross member.. I don't have a micrometer..so..do you think 3/16 is what I need?

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Scrap yard. Eyeball the thickness of the member you'r patching, scrounge around for a piect of scrap. Fifty cents.

12. RAY With

RAY With

Most metal supply houses have "DROP" or left over and dont mind selling small pieces. I suggest you give them a call in your city.

13. Use a bolt nail screw a coin anything you have at home take that to the counter guy a nd tell its a bit larger are smaller. The one in East Fort Worth gave me a key chain with a metal gauge on it. I think the young guy felt sorry for the old gray haired guy................

14. mosimpson

mosimpson

For that price I would get a piece that is .120 thick and a piece .187 thick. Then when you get home you can compare the thickness of your patch pieces to the crossmember and use the one that matches best. :D

15. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

Went by today to the one in Fort Worth and they just handed me the metal at no charge.. thanks for the help today!

16. buffalotrux

buffalotrux

For what its worth, you can use a small cresent wrench to measure the thickness of a piece of metal. Then wrap a small piece of duct tape around the adjusting screw. then you can match the thickness at the metal yard.
    Buffalotrux
    Keeping 'em inline since '53

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

This is a very slick idea!!