Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cross Country Roudtrip in my 60

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blam, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Blam

Blam

Hey guys, so i'm going to be driving my 60 Pontiac from Boise, Idaho, to Wilmington, North Carolina. I'm lookin to leave the day after Christmas, weather permitting.

I don't have a set route right now but i was planning on dipping down south to avoid any bad weather. My plan was to head east to Salt lake city, drop down through Moab, into New Mexico, maybe check out Roswell, and Carlsbad Caverns, then East to Austin Texas, on to New Orleans for New Years maybe? then from Mobile Alabama i'll head north to Charlotte, and into Wilmington. Just over 3500 miles.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what i should check out/avoid on my way? Like i said my route is not set in stone, i'm traveling with my dog and will be sleeping on the side of the road, so time restraints and hotel reservations are non existent, money is also nearly non existent, so nothing to expensive.

Also if anyone would want to tag along for any part of the trip or needs anything delivered i'd be happy to accommodate in return for some gas money, a floor to sleep on, or a hot meal. Or if anyone wants to meet up to say hey hit me up as well!

thanks guys!
    -Ryan
    [​IMG]
    here is my pontiac i'll be driving.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Look forward to seeing you and having you at the shop. Enjoy the journey.
    Your Airstream should be waiting you. There were some windy but head high waves with clean faces today.

Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

3. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Cool trip man! I'm north of Austin by 20 miles. I'll put you up for the night if you want. My dog plays well with other dogs too. :)

Hope you like Lone Star and Pearl. I've got a couple of buddies to round up and we can all cruise Austin and show you around if you want.

PM me and we'll swap phone #'s.

-Chris

4. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

There is a section of I40, right inside NC border from TN that is closed due to a massive rockslide. They say it could be closed up to a year. They are detouring up through VA, but it only adds a few miles onto your the trip.

You setting up in Wilmington, or coming for a visit?

5. mckelvey

mckelvey

My dog and I drove from Salt Lake to Austin then to the east coast this past spring.. salt lake through New Mexico to Austin was really cool.. but from Austin to East was dead boring.. I just took the route that the gps said was the most direct.. I'd have to look at a map to see what route i took.. but try to find cool stuff along the way or else it is a really boring drive and really ugly roads. I've also driven Rt 70 from the east to Denver and loved every mile of it. not much to see but just wide open roads.. with nothing but truck stops, firework stores, and dirty video stores.. totally cool!!

not sure if any of that helps.. but either way.. have a fun and safe trip!

6. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

7. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

If you can, go to the Grand Canyon. I visited it in December and there was hardly anyone there. The hotels were cheap too. There was bad visibility the first day, perfect on the second. Dress warmly! Also your proposed route will take you close to the Monument Valley. It's definitely worth it to take US 163 through it. Moab and Carlsbad Caverns are also a definitely a must see.

Don't expect warm weather. It DOES get cold in the desert and it can snow too. I'm sure it's similar to Idaho in that regard.

8. If you are going through Charlotte, are you coming I-85? If so, maybe I could buy you breakfast or lunch. It would depend on what is going on that day.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Sounds like an awesome trip. Put my cell phone in your phone and call if you run into any trouble and I'll try to get someone close to help ya out.
    734-673-6930

10. Prostreet32

Prostreet32
    from Indy

Like wise; If you ever have any difficulties or troubles mechanically; the 'fellowpages' is a nationwide groupe of hot rodders committed to helping any fellow cruiser in trouble "Anywhere in this great country",..I have used it for years and cruised all across this great country numerous times. Just name the state your in, and the county, and numerous people( from that area) will stop what there doing, and 'rescue' ya. (USA., Canada, and Australia) And all 50-US.States

11. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Sounds like a great journey! Much luck to you... I am not on your route but I wish ya the best.

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

take your NSRA Fellow Pages, works everytime

13. Blam

Blam

I'll be moving over there, to work for Wil, at Sakowski Motors. I'm pretty Excited, rad shop, rad town, rad beaches, it should be......rad!

it most definitely should this is a cool site!

I hope i can swing by the grand canyon, i haven't been there since i was real young, don't really remember much about it.
    As for the cold, Boise is in the middle of the desert and its been below zero for the last WEEK!

Actually my mom is in Charlotte, so i'll be stayin with her for a couple of days.

THANKS! i will take you up on that but hopefully i don't have to use it!

thanks,
    -Ryan

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Moab is very cool...lots of rodders there...cruise up the canyon (out of Moab) toward Grand Junction, about a 40 mile trip (free) or visit Fisher Towers on the way and then you can turn around, head back into Moab...or visit Arches National park...lots of very cool redstone formations. Take 191 south and you can see some neat arches right along the hiway...take the scenic route (163) at Bluff, Utah, go thru Monument Valley, drop into Arizona just north of Kayenta, an American Indian community. From Kayenta you can get to the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff farther south.

Not much to see in Roswell, but the Carlsbad Caverns are cool if you've got the time and money for admission.

From Flagstaff, take hiway 89A and make sure you go thru Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon...you will not regret that side trip...but watch the first gigantic right hand turn about ten miles south on the highway, it's tight and you're at the very top of the canyon...nothing but a huge cliff and trees below you. It'll take you an hour to get to the bottom of the canyon. Take your time in Cottonwood and make sure you visit Jerome (old mining "ghost town"). Continue on to Prescott and enjoy the drive and then you'll get back on the Interstate just north of Phoenix.

East of Phoenix is Globe, another old mining town...and the Salt River Canyon...very scenic drive thru there and then up over low mountains, if you choose to continue on to Thatcher and Safford. You can drop into New Mexico at the southern end of the state on that route. Catch the I-10 at Lordsburg, NM then on to Las Cruces. From there you can take Hiway 70 to Alamagordo, it has the White Sands Proving Grounds and White Sands National Monument...huge drifts of nothing but white sand. Easy commute to Roswell from there...scenic too.

Not much between Phoenix and Tucson if you decide to go that way...very little between Tucson and San Simon on the eastern side of Arizona...lots of desert.

You can drop into Texas from Carlsbad...from there on you're on your own, altho there is plenty to see in Texas, it's a HUGE state...

Good luck...enjoy your trip...

R-

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

This is going to be awesome, there is nothing like a cross country trip, it's one of the best things ever. Best of luck.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

cool man, sounds like fun. have a good trip!

17. Blam

Blam

Geez man, thanks a lot! you seem to know your way around the southwest pretty well. Would i have to worry about bad weather in Flagstaff because that is one thing i am trying to avoid is any snow or big passes.

thanks,
    -Ryan

18. monkey19

monkey19

enjoy it, it will be a blast

i have always dreamed about taking a cross country trip.....maybe someday

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I (well, my bro and I) have been cross country-ing in hot rods and kustoms since 1978...I've seen lots of this country in all 48 contiguous states...and the United States viewed thru the windshield of a hot rod is the ONLY way to go... and I just hit the "High" spots on the trip I outlined for you...there's tons more on the way to see...

Flagstaff is at about 7,000 feet elevation and it can get cold there, and it can get snow...it just got dumped on this last week...but it's really hard to say what the weather will be like when you go thru there. There are no huge mountain passes between Kayenta and Flagstaff...and from Flag south you'll be OK...it gets warmer.

R-

20. Scott K

Scott K

I did the Moab to Austin run earlier this year.

If you go thru Moab, take some time and run 128 East, just south of Arches National Park. Follows the river canyon on the south side of Arches. No need to run it all the way back to I-70...just out & back from the 191 interchange.
    The Moab diner has some good food. If you feel like doing some trail riding (if they are open), look up Dan Mick, he's a local trail guide and can show you some incredible sights.

Highly recommend the Sedona / Oak Creek canyon route as well..awesome.

If you take the Phoenix - Tuscon route. A stop at the PIMA air museum in Tuscon might interest you. They have a nice collection of aircraft and are across the street from the HUGE air base where all the military planes are mothballed. They offer a bus tour of the air base so you can see where you tax dollars are sitting.

Can't help you much with New Mexico...I just wanted to get thru and wasn't looking for too much. I did go thru Roswell....they have aliens painted on the side of Wal Mart.

Midland Texas has the oil museum with the collection of Jim Hall's Chapparal Can Am race cars. Midland is also the home of the Commemmorative Air Force.

I do recommend taking the 2 laners thru West Texas and driving thru Fredericksburg on the way to Austin...rolling hill country...beautiful drive. Neat little dealership in downtown Fredericksburg. Closed but still maintained and a few restored cars still sitting on the showroom floor.

Safe travels!

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If you end up in Denver shoot me a line. I've got a spare bed. Though it looks like youre steering well south of here,, and I don't blame you, it's -10 outside now!

22. Blam

Blam

I love taking pictures and i hope to take a lot on this trip. These places all sound like some really great photo opportunities!!

Yeah man, im getting my fill of sub zero temps here in Boise for the time being.

Thanks,
    -Ryan

23. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

When I was there I came out of my motel and found my car buried under 2 feet of snow. It was great! Flagstaff is a walkable town with that college town/ski resort vibe. It's at a high elevation you know. They're pretty good at plowing the roads though and I don't think they use rock salt there. Do NOT stay at the Rodeway Inn on old Route 66. Worst motel in town, right across from the railroad tracks, and a train comes past at high speed so often you won't notice it except they blow their horns at the crossing.

The Grand Canyon is great in December! I had the trails almost all to myself. A very peaceful and meditative experience.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  24. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Blam if you come thru Phoenix you have a place for you and your dog at my place 480 710 3537 chandler az... Going thru globe out the 60 is nice coming out in socorro then make ur way to carlsbad caverns.. damn I miss those caves!..

25. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

Taken MANY trips like yours.

This time of year I would head east out of Austin to Port Arthur, TX and then hang along the Gulf Coast using the 2 lane roads, really beautiful and different. Then go through New Orleans and Penescola, FL all the way to the Atlantic Ocean, and then go north, hugging the Atlantic Coast, at least up to Charleston, SC before you head inland. Obviously this route will have warmer temperatures and make your "sleeping area" more comfortable.

Using the secondary two lane roads will make the trip much more interesting, but remember to watch your gas gauge.

Wish I was making the trip!!!!

26. Blam

Blam

Well my gas Gauge doesn't work, So i'll be stopping a lot to fill her up, because running out of gas out in the middle of nowhere, doesn't sound like too much fun.

i'd definitely like to check out the Gulf along the way.

-Ryan

27. richie rebel

richie rebel

hey blam,good luck on your trip and take good care of your dog,(i know you will) be safe....richie....

28. 2002p51

2002p51

Actually, the detour runs through Tennessee; North on the I-81 just east of Knoxville to the I-26 near Johnson City, TN, then down to Asheville, NC where you pick up the I-40 once again. Something over 100 miles all together and it's scheduled to be cleared up by the end of Feb.

But going from New Orleans to Charlotte, he won't be going anywhere near that.

29. Have fun....
    Here is one of my favorite websites, it might help you save a few bucks.
    Gas Buddy Temperature Price Map
    Just click on the zip code and get the price of gas at various locations...

30. And stop at the welcome center at every state you come to and load up on info. You gonna have a laptop with ya so you can communicate?