Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Crimping Tutorial

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Oct 29, 2018.

1. I'm not a fan of ratchet crimpers for barrel connectors as I find them more time consuming and more than a bit clumsy in close quarters (try using one under a congested dash...). If the wire slips in mid-ratchet, you may be starting over. These came into being for basically one reason; repeatability. As more and more specialty crimps came on the market, the crimp manufacturers were having issues with failed crimps because of operator error. With the ratchet crimper, it won't release until you've 'fully' crimped the connector, which helped eliminate that aspect. With an 'approved' ratchet crimper, they would warranty the connection. But again, keep in mind that these warranties are only good for their rated use, which generally doesn't include automotive applications. I've also seen where if you're trying to 'Disney-rodent' something (yeah, you shouldn't, but there can be times..), they don't work as well as the old-style manual crimpers like the ones I gave part numbers for.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six

Steve, you should worked a Nuclear power plant with a certified numbered ratcheting crimpers, an inspector standing watching you remove the insulation, remove the lug from the clear plastic bag, and make the crimp logging all moves taking final temperature readings. The wire was then the installed with torquing screw driver also certified and numbered. All unused lugs were returned and the tools tested every six months.

loudbang, G-son and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

And with all that,they still melt down! Imagine that... bad connections?

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  4. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Bad decisions.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

58 years ago yesterday a small experimental Army reactor went critical and exploded in eastern Idaho, killing three. Somebody yanked a control rod out, and that was all she wrote. Boom!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1

6. Not Steve; but I looked at kits and most contained way too much of the wrong stuff. Ordered appropriate quantities of the terminals I usually use from Dell City and put them in a hardware store box. For the few odd terminals like bullets, etc needed; I pick up small packs of the insulated kind and strip the plastic off.
    Just have to keep up with reordering them as needed.
    IMG_20190104_125309 (Medium).jpg

mkebaird, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

2F391DEA-FD14-49D9-B408-CDDACEE45F5A.jpeg
    We could be twins!

loudbang likes this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I'm still cuttin off the plastic on most. :(
    20190104_161035 (2).jpg
    The good news, was that I found the starter solenoid lug for my wife's car that has been mia for to long. :)

9. Ah, but I did.... at the infamous WPPSS (AKA 'Whoops!) plants, at the time the largest bond default on record when they called it quits. Yeah, the paperwork/delays could be mind-numbing. But I didn't do it long; I took over a construction power/maintenance crew that was the polar opposite; get'er fixed ASAP, as long as it won't kill anyone it's good. We'd come in once a month on a weekend to clean up the messes... LOL.

10. Fireball Five

Fireball Five

For years I have used stuff called Liquid Tape on all connections on underbody or inframe locations.
    Not as pretty as heat shrink but it absolutely keeps moisture out, even with a twist and a pinch with a pliers then coat it. It comes in a little can with a brush in lid. I keep it in the refrigerator.

" When a man owns a trailer, he might use it 2% of his time, but he will work on the wiring 50% of his time."
    Fireball 5

loudbang likes this.