Register now to get rid of these ads!

creative ways to attatch side molding trim without clips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luvzccr, Jun 27, 2008.

1. luvzccr

luvzccr

i did a search on the HAMB for that, and i did find one thread, but it was from 2003, so 5 years later maybe more people have had better luck with attatching side trim with something besides trim clips!

when i took off the trim from my 58 ford fairlane a few years back, the clips were so bad they literally disenigrated when i touched them, some i was able to salvage but i cant find them now.

so just wondering, does anyone have any ideas on attatching side molding trim so it stays on there really well, without using trim clips? because those can add up, especially since i need at least 70 or so.

(btw i have heard of Auveco and restoration specialties, like i said, just lookin for ingenious ways to attatch it)

2. First off, spend your money on getting it running and driving, or it will be a pretty yard ornament.
    But I'm sure you want that car driving more than anything.

The trim clips are not that pricey if you shop around. I have a bucket of them here. Which ones do you need? You can have them, if they are the ones you need.

I applaud you for wanting to put the trim back on. I think it makes those cars look good.

Double stick tape, liquid nails, screws, band-aids, silicone, etc all are shitty ways to do it. If you are going to do it, do it right.

Any luck with the alternator bracketry?

Ray

3. How about filling the holes, then gluing some rare-earth magnets to the back of the trim, then you can remove the trim whenever you want

4. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

liquid nails.....

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

au-ve-co and places like that are cheap for the right clips. Do it right, you'll never regret it.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

the manufacture of the car got it right, back..however many years ago.
    dont try to short cut it , you will end up disapointed.
    no short cuts to doing it right.

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Trim is awful expensive to have coming off or getting tweaked cause it's attached wrong.

8. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

You can get most of these clips for $5 for 8 - 12 off the auction site. PLEASE PLEASE don't use an "ingenious" way to put the trim on. With my luck, I'll be the one who has to repair that ingenious attachment.

9. send_it_all

send_it_all

2 sided tape. Before anyone says it won't work...it's how spoilers and body kits are held onto all those rice rockets you see driving around....it's plenty strong.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

^^^ please tell me your not serious^^^^

11. COS

COS
    from KCMO

3M does make a two sided tape that WILL WORK weather it is the right way or not that is up to you... I have a car lot and trust me we use this stuff all the time!! :eek:

-COS

12. send_it_all

send_it_all

I am 100% serious. Sorry to fuck up your day. I am not talking about some shit you might buy at a craft store. It is the 3M stuff mentioned above. It costs somewhere around a doller per linear foot, and it is made to hold moldings onto cars...hence it being sold at auto body supply stores.

13. Kustm52

Kustm52

Fill it up with clear silicone, tape into place, remove tape when silicone is dry..

Brian

14. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

If the job is worth doing ~~~ DO IT RIGHT !!

Buy the clips for the car & install the trim the right way, The way Ford intended it to be installed.

Part of the down fall of Hot Rodding today is the Lack of Integrity to do things RIGHT instead of EASY...

Double side tape & whatever else is a BULLSHIT easy way out.

Bullshit fixes like this will show up in the end Quality of your build.

15. MetalMike

MetalMike
    BANNED

How about when tech week comes up you guys write a post about how to silicone stainless onto a car. Sometimes you make me wanna puke. Jesus, just do it right. I firmly believe some people should have thier cars taken away from them, UGHHHHHHHHHHH. "I gotta tube of silicone, I'ma gunna put ma car tugether wiff it, hell I might throw in some duck tape fer good mesur.

16. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

weld it with some FLUX core. .035 should do the trick.

17. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

velcro...
    I'd find the right clips if it was me. I found all I needed for a 47 Merc by looking around a little

18. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Buy the clips...

Why?? You ever try taking trim off that has been taped on or epoxyed....fucks all kind of things up. Tried heating it up and using a non-metalic scraper, even the de-gumming shit the manufacture suggest it still doesnt work right.

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hoily shit...silicone? 2-way tape? Wow. Apparently some of you take the "jalopy" of jalopyjournal to the extreme. Yeah, the body kits on rice-racers? The shit that I see hanging loose all the time on those cars, right?

I guess if ya can't afford a $30 box of trim clips to do it right the side trim is the least of your worries.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Exactly!

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

dont worry NewB..you didnt fuck up my day..because you didnt work on my car..
    another instant gratification deal..

do it right or leave it off.

22. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Hot rodding sparks our creativity & thats a good thing. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. I have never found an answer to your question. Just get the proper clips. :)

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

just one thing to think about..
    lets take my 53 chevy for instance..it is 55 years old..the trim is still on it after all these years..why? because the auto maker did it right..
    maybe the new cars with their 3M shit will work on plastic trim..we are talking stainless here right?
    I have seen alot of 3M'ed trim laying around here and there..lets see if 3M'ed stanless will still be on the car in 55 years..
    besides..that 3M shit is like a 1/16" thick or more ..how much like ass would that look with stanless trim standing an additional 1/16" or more off your nice car?

its shit like this that gets project cars, called the R word

24. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Well, one thought did come to mind. I have in the past been able to find clips the right width that will fit your trim from another model of car. Then drill new holes in the body and screw the clips on. That will work sometimes in a pinch if you don't mind putting some holes in your car. Good luck.

25. BadLuck

BadLuck

I agree too...I KNOW it works....took off my side trim on my 06 chevy....what a bitch! That stuff is pretty damn strong. That being said, I would still use the clips. If you ever decided to paint the car a different color, popping the side trim off the clips would be alot easier than trying to get the 3m tape off. Good luck...:)

26. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

New trim that's made for tape has flats designed to promote what tape is good at. Old car trim is curved and recessed and forces tape thickness that ends with shaky results. Good product for the right application but this isn't it.

27. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

If someone's gonna use 3M, silicone, liquid nails or whatever (besides clips), I doubt he's gonna be too worried about taking off the trim to repaint it. If he doesn't use a roller on it (you know, the roller and rustoleum treatment) then he's gonna paint it with the trim on...and if feeling good that day, he might even tape the trim off.

28. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I want to quote myself^^^^ HE ASKED THE QUESTION I JUST ANSWERED IT....

-COS

29. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

i use great stuff