Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods creating a drive shaft tunnel from scrap .......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by putz, Mar 14, 2022.

1. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i had to make a tunnel for drive shaft hump and i didn,t have a roller for the curve of tunnel but i did have a scrap 40 Ford hood, measured width, cut each side of hood from curve of hood ,bend lip on bottom of curve for mounting to floor welded seam to each side of hood down the center , it turned out great and professional even .... maybe this might help someone ....

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Pictures would help if possible. Does sound good though

3. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I admire your ability to see the shape you wanted in another object. But I hope it was a really bad 40 hood. Don't want people looking for hoods just to cut up. There are lots of things to bend sheet metal around, fence post, etc.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. putz

putz
    from wisc.

it was garbage hood ,,,,,

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. corn picker head will work also
    [​IMG]

WB69 and putz like this.
  6. I’ve bent them around pipe or even a telephone pole.
    But I wanna see pics.
    Sounds interesting

Blues4U likes this.
  7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

8. I worked in a large machine shop, we also had a large sheet metal shop. I needed one for a stock car. I cut a roof skin off a donor junk yard car and took it into work on a Saturday. We didn't have a roller that big, but "bumped" it on our largest press brake. It was a work of art.

My dad was 66 at the time, he did the final cut and fit on it, climbing through the window, working around a roll cage and everything else.

9. WB69

WB69

That's an awesome idea. To think how many of these have been just scrapped when no longer used.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've on occasion just gone to the wrecking yard and took my battery powered sawzall and whacked out the trans and driveling tunnels out of cars. I leave a few inches of flat floor with them so I can trim to fit. On the trans tunnels I've often cut them in half lengthwise to narrow them and make them fit the car's trans better. Also cut out some off height, and bend a new lip at the bottom if they're too tall.
    Gotta do whatever if you don't have all the cool sheet metal rollers.

bobss396 and wheeldog57 like this.
  11. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

A welding tank works great to roll a round shape into a piece of sheetmetal. In fact, anything round works well, just use your body to get the sheetmetal to start taking the shape, then go from there. I've used light poles, telephone poles, support beams in the shop, etc.