Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crazy, ill conceived, poorly planned road trip in a sled……

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped51, May 29, 2012.

1. It’s a long story, but the end result is Trace invited me (my car actually) to the mototama next weekend.
    A great honor for me. So of course I said hell ya! I’ll be there. That was a few months back and my car was still in hibernation.. [​IMG]
    And one other small detail…….. I’m over 2,000 km away in Canada.</ST1:p<O:p</O:p
    I have no heat. No air. No wipers. No cruise. No windows. No problem!!<O:p</O:p
    I figure no sweat. I’ll pull the car out in the first week of May and go through it. You know. All the usual pre trip stuff, belts, hoses, fluids, brakes.<O:p</O:p
    So about the same time I’m pulling the car cover off the car to pull it out of hibernation, the people, I use the term “people” very loosely here. Decide to vacate my rental property. As in disappear. I figure ok, I have time to rent it out before I go. Wrong. There’s not much house left. If you’ve ever seen the show Hoarders then you get an idea what my house looked like. So instead of spending relaxing hours in the shop massaging my sled for the trip I’m putting in 18 hour days and all the money for the trip in to the house so I can rent it again. 9 trips to the dump!!! Over 3 tons !!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok, enough boo hoo bullshit. Back to the car story.<O:p</O:p
    So one week to blast off. Now I get the car cover off.<O:p</O:p
    As I will more than likely spend a fair amount of time sitting and idling (that’s what you do on So Cal freeways) I attacked the cooling system first. All new belts and hoses, antifreeze and even a new aluminum rad.<O:p</O:p
    While I had the rad out I though I better put a speedy sleeve in as I will be using RainX, not crank oil on my windshield.. [​IMG]
    I need a tad more light on the subject and it’s a nice day. So I push the magic button to open the garage door. It doesn’t open all the way. What the hell? Oh. I see what the problem is. My car is so high in the air (on stands) and the hood is open. The arm for the garage door firmly wedged itself it to the hood..[​IMG] I’m not super happy at this point as I think I have enough to do. So I hang a rag over it so I can’t see it and I hope it goes away on its own.<O:p</O:p
    While I was up front I changed the oil, filter, air filter, checked the brakes…….<O:p</O:p
    Stay tuned, tomorrow I’m going out back………<O:p</O:p

2. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Hope your trip goes well .

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

4. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Bummer about that scrape on the hood... For now you could load up some color until it's as high as the surrounding paint, then wet sand and buff the area and it will at least not stick out like a sore thumb.

Subscribed. Good luck on the rest of the trip!

5. Ok, back down on the ground today, lift the back end up&#8230;&#8230;. Far away from the garage door!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

BOP-nut had the right idea.
    I found the paint the flames where done with, 20 years ago.
    It&#8217;s not so much paint as smooth putty now.
    So I masked off the gouge (it would be an insult to call it a scratch)
    using a razor blade as a putty knife I filled it.
    I&#8217;ll let it sit a couple days, sand and polish it.
    Not much else I can do with it&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;
    <o:p></o:p>

I had intended to put bags under this thing but obviously there is no time for that.
    Front is not a problem, rides smooth like a Merc.
    But the back&#8230;.,. it&#8217;s not bad, unless you hit any kind of bump.
    I have about ¾&#8221; to the snubbers.
    Been fine for years but I&#8217;m going to be driving over 4,000 miles in June
    with all my wife&#8217;s shit, er I mean luggage in the trunk.
    So I need a bit of help. I put a pair of air shocks in.
    [​IMG]
    Fast and easy. Bought a little compressor with built in gauge for $19 I&#8217;ll keep in the trunk.<o:p></o:p>

So while I&#8217;m under there I figure I&#8217;ll drop the tank. 2 reasons.
    First the gauge works but not totally accurate so I&#8217;ll adjust the sending unit.
    2<SUP>nd</SUP> I&#8217;ll tap in a vent line and run it up under the frame.
    Of course these tanks where never vented (except the cap)
    and as my filler is in the trunk it&#8217;s all good.
    Until I park in the sun. Then the tank builds up enough pressure and finally &#8220;burps&#8221; in to the trunk.
    [​IMG]
    It stinks.<o:p></o:p>

And lastly I figured I would clean out the pumpkin and put fresh lube in it.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    My grandson&#8217;s poster off the fridge made a great gasket.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks kid.

Tomorrow I want to rip out the remote trunk release and put an Autoloc unit in. With a manual release. I've been locked out one to many times.

Oh, And new weather-stripping on the trunk lid.<o:p></o:p>

6. good grief.

much luck to you.

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Dude, you use your Merc to trailer junk to the dump?

8. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Man, this is going to be a good one! I'll be watching for sure! I have a motto for road trips such as the one you're about to embark on... (Teddy Roosevelt must've been a hot rodder!)

Attached Files:

• Mug.jpg
      Mug.jpg
      File size:
      18 KB
      Views:
  9. Yep, all the time. Last trip was just over 1.300lbs of junk. I get grief from the guys at the dump but what the hell. I USE my cars. Not to be confused with abuse.
    I have the Merc truck you can see in the background of the picture at the begining of this thread, but I won't put insurance on that until I get back from Cali.

10. Tommy R

Tommy R

With a thread title like that, how could I NOT subscribe?? And good on ya for using your cars!

11. brad2v

brad2v
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This should be highly entertaining. Sub'd

12. Today everything went smoothly for a change.<O:p</O:p
    I finished up running the air lines for the rear shocks and tried out my $19 compressor. Works great. Better than great. Pressure read out is very handy, and it accurate.
    [​IMG]
    Only 20psi to sit where it was with regular shocks in. So I have lots of leeway when loaded up. I can air up and not worry about bottoming out.<O:p</O:p
    Got the new trunk latch in. Very happy with it. If you look really closely you can see the steel rod running from the latch.
    [​IMG]
    I comes out under the bumper. Just a tug and the trunk pops open. Nice.<O:p</O:p
    Pulled the trunk lid off to do the weather stripping.
    [​IMG]
    Only about 100 times easier to do it with the lid off.
    <O:p>[​IMG]</O:p>
    <O:p[​IMG]</O:p>
    And finally I did a test run with all the wife’s shi… er I mean luggage to make sure I could fit everything. I have the spare tire well for storage. That helps a lot. Keep my tools, duster, compressor in there.[​IMG]</O:p>
    <O:p[​IMG]</O:p>
    I think I’m pretty much done. I’ll just give everything a once over tomorrow. Maybe a shake down run Saturday.<O:p</O:p
    Then if all goes well we’re leaving at the crack of dawn Sunday 5 – 6 am……<O:p</O:p
    More updates to follow……………………..<O:p</O:p

13. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

This should be a great trip, and a great read for us following along! Good luck

14. historynw

historynw

Wow & I thought I was a last minute guy....I didn't have an interior in my car until 3 days before I left for Washington DC. enve then it was touch and go.

15. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

16. I want details and more pics of that trunk latch set-up. Please?

17. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

So it is ok to pull a trailer with your old car? I was thinking of doing it with my car but I figured everybody would have a bitch fest. Actually, that might be a good reason to do it! :D

18. Today I took a look at the "gouge" ouch!
    [​IMG]
    I wet sanded with 1500 then polished. That's it. That's all I have time for and as good as it's gonna get.
    [​IMG]
    I figure it will look perfect going 75mph through Grants Pass, at night, in the rain.

Then it was just give everything a one last check...... Brake lights "check" ...left signal "check... right signal "check"..... head lights ... head lights....oh shit. No head lights ot tail lights! Are you kidding me!!! Dead. No power. As most of the car still has it's original harness, no fuses. Crap. I hate wiring. Where to start? Dash lights work, I pull the head light switch. A wire came loose. That's it. 15 minutes total and I'm good to go.
    Just loading some tunes on my flash drive for the trip. George Thorogood, ZZ top, Tom Petty, War, U2, Zepplin, Floyd.........

JK. the trunk latch set up is really easy. Took maybe an hour using sone scrap1X1 angle iron. Hardest part for me was getting in and out of the trunk a dozen times to line everthing up. I mounted the latch where it cleared everything. The same with the striker.

19. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Hope the drive down goes smooth!

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subscribed! I gotta see if you make it ok.

21. norms30a

norms30a

Subscribed! will need pics and lots of them of your trip, just love these threads since I don't travel much. Good luck!

22. Not much going on today. Mow the lawn, turn everything off, pack the car.
    Leaving in 12 hours..... time for a nice big glass of Rum.
    [​IMG]

23. F&J

F&J

Have a non-bad time :) ..meaning all good stuff.

Pics of the whole country as you go along,... please .:D

24. Left Sunday at 6:20 and then the border by 6:30
    .[​IMG]
    Got first fill at 6:35
    [​IMG]

After 3 hours, just past Seattle we stopped for a coffee, When we came out I see a nice green strem running out from under the car.
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking this can't be good. Only just getting started !!!! Pop the hood and I just started laughing. Top rad hose popped off. I have no idea why. I just did. Nuff said.
    [​IMG]
    Hit major rain through Grants Pass. You remember the part where I said I have no wiper and no windows........................
    [​IMG]
    Speedometer did a hat dance and went on strike crossing into Cali. No bigge. I have the GPS.
    Stopped in Redding for the night. The woman working the front desk really liked our "space ship" and let us park under cover in the breezway.
    [​IMG]
    Good thing to. It was raining like crazy when we left this morning (Monday) at about 9:30 cleared up after about only 30 minutes It didn't last long. Rained HARD from Sacromento to just 2 hours North of LA.
    Car performed beyond my expectations. Rand 75mph at 180f all day long.
    Car have not been this dirty sice it was built. Relaxing in Anehiem.
    More to follow.

25. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

good thread

thanks for sharing

26. have fun in socal!!

27. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

luckily you didnt spend too much time in redding. haha

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep the story and photo coming. I've done a lot of miles with no windows and no wipers so I can relate to that part.

29. GEISTERFAHRER

GEISTERFAHRER

Great story and photo's GOOD LUCK man!

30. Not much to report. Been busy relaxing for a couple days. Watching someone else clean my car was a nice change. It has NEVER been so dirty.
    [​IMG]
    Went to the Peterson Museum. That was cool!
    [​IMG]
    Got to meet some of the boys in blue.....
    [​IMG]
    This morning I took it to the dome beside the QE, very interesting experience. Trace and the crew are treating me like royalty, tight security.
    Polish of the dust in the morning then I get to enjoy the show!