Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Hot Rods Crate Motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1934coupe, Apr 29, 2024.

1. You could even buy a house kit, build it yourself, from Sears.

2. I see people putting those supercharged LT4 engines in stuff these days. I can’t wrap my mind around a $25k+ engine.

The Blueprint 632 is $16k+

It was only 2014 when a Hamber sold me a good running 350 for $250.

alanp561, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. fuzzface

fuzzface

"Who knows where the ones on the Wall-Mart website are coming from."

i tried looking it up and first one that came up was a bbc632 and it said revautoparts. but when i tried looking them up i only got a rv type part store. then i redid my search and got a different vendor at walmart and this time it said unbeatablesales. coincidently walmart, jegs, and speedway all use the same stock photo too. jegs was the cheapest at $16,900 i beleive and the one walmart was $21,687.68 but the other walmart ad was around $1300 less for the same motor.

who knows where they actually come from though.

Sharpone likes this.
  4. PackardV8

PackardV8

Either end of the generic crate motor deal is a nightmare.

I know of two local rebuilders who were forced into bankruptcy because they contracted with Autozone, et al, to furnish rebuilt engines. The volume was huge, but the big corporation didn't pay on time, didn't return cores, wouldn't credit for unusable cores and just subtracted customer warranty claims from the payment without any proof of fault.

On the retail end, who'd buy a big bucks engine without knowing exactly who built it, what their reputation was, what the warranty was?

I know of one "crater" who's gotten big by paying Google to come up at the top of every internet search, misrepresenting his 383" SBC builds and dodging warranty claims. He made a ton of money doing it, until a severely pissed customer drove a thousand miles to beat the shit out of him and put him in the hospital.

jack vines

5. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

[QUOTE="PackardV8”]He made a ton of money doing it, until a severely pissed customer drove a thousand miles to beat the shit out of him and put him in the hospital.[/QUOTE]

That reminds me of the good old days on the HAMB:D:D:D

6. YEP! An EYE for an EYE!;):D

seb fontana, Sharpone, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  7. RodStRace

RodStRace

Do I need to quote the rest?
    [​IMG]

8. I have just regained consciousness after I read $25,000 for an engine. Does it come with solid gold con rods? (Emphasis on the word "CON").

9. squirrel

squirrel

try building a 60s Hemi (426) for under 20k....

10. I was 19 and helped a friend change his flathead 6 in his '51 Plymouth. The engine came from Sears and was dropped shipped to the catalog dock. I forget how he got it home. It was painted some hideous blue-green color.

We had to use his old oil pan, the one that came with the engine was different. But damn... it ran well for the 2 decades I knew him.

11. SS327

SS327

Blue/green colored Sears & Roebuck engines were Jasper Grenade In A Box engines.

12. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I’m all for building your own motor and like most of us here we have parts for parts for parts laying around to build a nice hot rod motor and only be out the cost of the trip to the machine shop. But like it was said try building something that you don’t have a bunch of spare stuff for and do it for under $20K. The last SBF I put together (started with a Yates 427 block) I had way over that in it and used several parts that I already owned.

Seeing that the chances of finding a new Caddy, Oldsmobile, Y block or flathead crate motor being built by the manufacturer will probably never come to fruition we will be building our own for a long time! :D

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

The last sentence in your post is what makes me think rebuilds are outsourced. Ie even the 383. Since it’s a 4 inch bore at .030 over.
    I’ve not looked at the -bad word coming- price of an LS crate engine, of done by the General, I’d bet it’s more expensive that a shop to rebuild one on hand.
    But crate engines do serve a purpose, I think the largest group of buyers are those that need an engine and can afford the time it take a shop to rebuild what they have.
    Take a long weekend and R and R it, back to work, etc and the vehicle isn’t sitting for 3-6 weeks.

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

For my hobby cars in past years I have purchased a Jegs GM 350 long block crate engine with 0 problems, a speed shop dynoed crate 355, 0 problems for less than I could build them myself, I'm talking a complete rebuild, not a backyard 1/2 ass deal which I did as a kid. Here in Wisconsin there's only a handful of "Good/ Reputable" engine machine shops with pricing and backlog to match/they earned and deserve. The crate engine has it's place in the marketplace IMO. I have built many race engines as I learned the skills as a young man working for Speed Engineering Service Co. "SESCO" Ron Hoettels was a genius, served me well through the years for my racing deal and running my Tool & Die/Pattern shop. I have been very fortunate to have met many great/smart people in my time, I have tried to pass some knowledge on when asked, but shortly realized the next generations now know everything, no advice needed from an "Old Timer" That's Been There and Done That.

15. RodStRace

RodStRace

mad mikey, Budget36 and Sharpone like this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

I don't like those^^^^^heads.... I'd rather have a set of #186 castings or equivalent....

guthriesmith and Sharpone like this.
  17. RodStRace

RodStRace

@Deuces completely understand, that's why I mentioned it.
    I doubt the heads you want are produced new anywhere.
    EDIT: there seems to be a market for aftermarket SBC heads too. ;)
    Considering they are selling a 'replacement' engine for a 1995 (almost 30 years) truck with a flat tappet cam and a fuel pump boss, I'd guess there is still a market enough to manufacture these parts.
    I also imagine that a big company that is constantly in meetings with bureaucrats and lawmakers about current and future emissions compliance isn't going to tool up to produce new pre-65 (pre smog) long blocks "for off-road use".

Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Sharpone and Deuces like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

That’s wild. I looked high and low from some places like Scoggin Dicky, etc. Every place I found said “not on stock”. I googled it and found articles stating GM no longer made Gen 1 SBCs -I think dating back to 2011/2012.
    The articles went on to say only LS versions were being sold.
    Good find.

Sharpone likes this.
  19. PackardV8

PackardV8

The local large rebuilder buys every SBC 350", FE 390", Y-block 292" cores we can find. Until the last pickup has rusted away, there'll be a demand for old arn.

jack vines

20. squirrel

squirrel

and some of us keep our old pickups inside now, so they don't rust any more

joel, alanp561, bchctybob and 5 others like this.
  21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

When it comes to a basic SBC, I've found it more cost and time effective to simply purchase the crate engine. If I want something more rare or exotic, or something built to my personal specifications, then I'm better off building it myself.

Also, googling "BBC" can yield wildly varying search results. Proceed with caution.

spudshaft, bchctybob, mohr hp and 6 others like this.
  22. RodStRace

RodStRace

... or have your parents install guidance controls. :D
    I don't know about the SBC arena, but did notice 'sealed' track motors for sale when I did that search, and in the mopar arena, there are a few well known builders who have the knowledge and experience to put together very good combos. If they have built and dyno'ed a hundred engines, they can often explain why choosing this set of parts will yield this power and things to watch out for.

alanp561, Deuces and Sharpone like this.
  23. Fordors

Fordors

That’s odd, GM says on their current crate engine website that they are still producing the 383 SBC in a number of combinations and Scoggin-Dickey’s ‘site has two different 383’s in stock. The OEM Chevrolet 383 is a new, not rebuilt engine. The bore is not 4.030 with a 3.75 crank, Chevy builds theirs with a 4.005 bore x 3.80 stroke with all new parts.
    Here’s one from S-D-
    IMG_0910.jpeg IMG_0911.jpeg

24. tim troutman

tim troutman

I bought a new Mexican GM crate motor for my roadster from Jegs on sale wish I had bought a few at the price they were then. guy was asking me about the motor in the car started telling me what he had heard bad about those motors. told him I had put around 18000 miles on it he said it was probably ok then. Guy that built my 41 told me it had an auto zone reman 305 crate engine for a SS monte carlo in it.I ask him why a 305 instead of a 350 he said he was wanting better gas milage.I looked the 305 cost more than a 350 at that time. I got to say doesn't leak a drop & gets better milage than my other cars so far I have been really impressed with it .My F1 has a 390 FE engine I pulled out of a donor car that came from Jasper reman with very few miles & was still green it uses a little oil but can't complain about it been driving it over 25 years.

firstinsteele and bchctybob like this.
  25. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

GM called them Target Master engines back in the 80's and 90's those were good motors.

X-cpe and mad mikey like this.
  26. Absolutely. My block in the drag coupe is a 400 Target Master block, and I have a spare, I am a happy hot rodder.

GlassThamesDoug and rod1 like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Motors can come from all over the place. The term crate is just that. Set the motor on a flat shipping pallet and then build a surrounding barrier all around to protect the motor strapped down inside. Then it is ready for shipping. Cover or not, that is one choice. We have all seen crate motors arrive in cardboard boxes for privacy and no temptation from warehouse/delivery folks, etc.
    upload_2024-6-4_2-56-51.png upload_2024-6-4_2-58-12.png
    Sorry for the typing errors. It was a one time thing for us and this is what I called in as a full classified ad in the weekly Drag News paper when we were finally ready to let go... My brother was ok to write things down for the last time.

What the secretary heard over the phone and what she typed was not the same. In one ear and out of the other, as the old saying goes... ha! 292 c.i. not 283. Reath Automotive reworked blower, aluminum pistons, Reath Auto crank, etc. and she forgot that the heads were ported and polished by Jocko.

January 1961 the ad was placed in the Drag News weekly. Within a month, a guy from somewhere in the Midwest called and bought the motor sight unseen and within a week, flew out West.

In 1961, we built a crate surrounding the complete 671 SBC motor sitting on a fairly new pallet we got from a local scrap yard. We lived near several industrial yards and they always had extra pallets. Free for the taking as it was less expensive to take them apart and send them to the scrapyards just outside of the city limits. But, free if one came early in the morning and picked one up, when they just opened.

Now, the shipping company would take the completed 671 supercharged motor, free of any oil or gas, as required, as long as it had a “crate” around it and was securely bolted down in place. Covering it with cardboard was not necessary, although these days, one might consider a large cardboard shipping carton, too, for added security.

Once we got the 671 motor set up and secured down, the surrounding crate was simple to build. the moving van company knew how to lift and secure it down so it would not move while traveling in the back of the large empty van. The company was also going to ship two cars along with our motor, in the large van trailer.

Jnaki

Since then, we lost track of who, where and how it was going to be used. It was one of the first SBC motors with the latest Isky Gilmer Drive Belt Systems on a new Edlebrock Manifold. The larger Hemi Motors already had their version of the Isky Gilmer Belt, but at the time, the company made a special kit for the SBC application.

We were lucky that the person we knew well, in Los Angeles, had good ties to the speed equipment industry and got us a new kit, which we believe to be Number 2. The photo provided is #1 as the owner worked for Isky back then.

Note:

There are some places where complete motors are the weapon of choice. A 383 c.i. motor in any custom hot rod or upgraded Chevy sedan seems like a great way to go. No fuss, no bother and the time consuming million part assembly does not have to take months of careful construction to complete.
    upload_2024-6-4_3-15-24.png From mild to wild, as per pocket book choices from reliable, well known, name hot rod parts companies.

But, on the other hand, assembly of any motor is one big part of hot rodding with skills learned along the way that will last forever… It just takes time and energy to do it right… or… For a little extra cost, one is already done for the most part, if "time is of the essence..." YRMV

bchctybob likes this.
  28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

...and decades before Sears you could buy a crate engine from Duesenberg or Miller. A Duesenberg crate racing engine sold for around $700. This, in an age when you could buy a Model T for $400.

bchctybob likes this.
  29. bchctybob

bchctybob

I was very impressed with the 430 hp 383 SBC I had in my red coupe, powerful, no strange sounds from inside. I guess if I could by that same engine through Walmart or Amazon and save a significant amount on the price or shipping I’d be tempted to do it. I imagine warranty claims would be shaky but then, I don’t expect much in the way of customer support or service from anyone these days.
    The 454 crate engine that I bought from Chevy back in the seventies was pretty dirty inside with dead bugs and sand-like stuff, it was bagged and in the factory crate. I was disappointed.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  30. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

If you buy anything from Walmart online, it tells you if the part is sold by Walmart or a 3rd party. If the part is sold by a 3rd party, they handle the warranty and any issues with the item. Your local Walmart store can't help you with it. But, if there is a problem, Walmart corporate can weigh in to get the matter taken care of. No, Walmart doesn't build engines, and they probably know less than any of us on how to fix cars and engines. But at least they don't claim to be engine builders and sell you the junk you can find elsewhere online.
    Don't hate Walmart because they make money. They are like any other company in that they have their good points and their bad ones. They are good at retail and for the record they passed that big A in their 2nd year of online sales. Big A is trying to catch them and is investing in block and mortar buildings to sell from. People like buying from a company they can put a face to and there is a Walmart in almost every neighborhood. And if there was ever a disaster in your neighborhood, you can bet your local Walmart was there trying to help if not the corporate team sending help in from all over the country. They may not advertise what they do or blow their own horn about how generous they are, but there aren't many companies that have their sense of community giving and helping.
    But, if Walmart is selling it they are making a profit. So someone else might sell it for less as they don't need a middleman making a second profit. Remember, time is money and how much time do you need to spend to save a few dollars and is it worth it to spend that time looking?