Register now to get rid of these ads!

crate motor or rebuild my Chevy 216 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ed_v, Jul 18, 2008.

1. go for a newer 235 or larger...216's are gutless...I agree with fuel add a few performance parts and they wake up just fine and you will be miles ahead, much happier and can't get to the top of the mountain by timing yourself with a stopwatch instead of a calender

2. teddyp

teddyp

go for the newer 6 better oil system change the grears in rear if you can

3. Dyce

Dyce

I'd stick a V-8 in it, But that's me. The 235's are neat, but I still like a little power. Throw rocks I don't care. You wouldn't have to use a "crate" engine though. You could shoot for at least a 1960's look.

I drove a '62 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup with a 235 and a three on the tree for a few years. Had a bungy cord hooked under the seat you had to hook around shifter to keep it from poping out of 3rd. It got around good, but it wasn't my idea of fun.

One big question is how much $$$ do you want to throw into this?

4. cryobug

cryobug

I have a friend that has a 39 Chevy P.U with a rebuilt original engine and good used drivetrain he is removing to make it a streetrod. I don't think the engine has 5 miles on it. It runs great. $500.00 will buy it all.
    PM me if anybody wants his number.

5. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

with a little fab'n you couls put in a 250 or 292 with a 235 valve cover. it would still look cool and if built right leave the 216 and 235's in the dust, and a few small blocks. parts are cheaper too and easier to get. just anothe option. hr

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

216's have babbited bearings (rods & mains), splash oiling system at low speeds and a "stream" oiling system that shoots a small stram of oil in dippers on the rods, IF it's set up correctly. The pipe oiling system in the oil pan needs to be aligned with a gauge. A totally pain in the ass and inefficient system, IMHO. I've blown main bearing & rod bearing in two different motors. They just don't like high speeds, much ove 60 mph. They're also more expensive to rebuild than a 235/261, due to the babbiting, which has to be poured and align bored.

Save yourself a lot of grief and get a 235 or 261. You'll have a lot more dependability and a bonus of quite a bit more horsepower.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

couple of guys gave you the right answer. If your going to upgrade - upgrade. A 270 will go in as easy or easyer than a late 235. They always were better motors. Or a 302 depending on what you can find.

8. 47 owner

47 owner

I have a 47 long bed, also thinking about a frame swap, and stock engine from the S10 donor. Of course cash is a consideration. What can I expect to spend on engine, rear end and front suspension to get rid of the 8 lug drums?

9. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

If it where up to me I'd put a 235 or a bigger 6 out of a 69's chev car.

Just to put it into perspective, people have said the splash feed oil system
    Of the 216 isn't suitable for
    Highway speeds or reliable enough for a daily driven car. I had a the stock 216 in my 51 sedan for a few years when I first got it and drove it everyday to work (about an hour and a half round trip on the highway) and it never missed a beat! And Iv never really been one to be gentle on the throttle so it copped a bit of a thrashing but I never had any dramas with it.

10. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Anywhere from 0 on up- depends on what you want and luck/scrounging ability. If you use a 1/2 ton front axle takeout (aout 100 most any day),
    you can get disc brake kits cheap- either 5 or 6 lug . The rear end is an Eaton
    unit used up into the 60's, there were some later ones with less gearing but
    they are rare and still 8 lug, most swap in either an early camaro/nova rear
    or later explorer rear. Cheap and strong enough for most drivetrains. Later
    explorer's had disc brakes, most had locking rears and ratios from 3.25 to 4.11
    Run about 150 at my local yards.

Engine/trans is the same- a crate 502 is a lot more than a junker take out.
    I picked up a 305 for 50 cause no one wants them, bought the 700r4 out
    of it for 50 more- the guy thru in the alt, power steering, AC comp and the
    starter, so you can find deals if you look hard enough.

Figure no matter what way you go you need to spend the money on new
    brake lines, dual master cyl etc for safety. Jim

11. While I am a big V-8 fan and don't normally suggest keeping the 6, I cannot suggest that you get yourself a crate engine and then go take a nap. I really need a nap before I go out on today's adventure.

You may look around and see what is available out there before you light into the old wheezer. A tricked out six would be nice, or an old V-8 like cad or olds or ???

I think that crate motors are fine for an emergency fix, like in I shelled my motor on the way home and I have a day off then back to work, emergency. But the thing to remember is that building a rod is not an emergency.

Here is a thought, the absolute neatest AD truck I ever saw was a baby blue one that ran around town when I was in high school. One of the older fellas bought the truck cheap, and he show horned a 331 caddy in it with a hydro matic. Now this fella just happened to have a new 350, 4 speed on the garage floor. He just didn't think it was right for the old truck.

Only other mods to the truck were drooped front end. like on just skimming a lucky strike pack droop. Left the ass at stock ride height. The truck had a serious stink bug thing going on, but it was just right.

12. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Contrary to popular belief, 216s don't always blow up as soon as you pull out of the driveway. Otherwise , how could Chevrolet have sold millions of them? But, and that's a big but, they don't like abuse. Properly rebuilt and driven in a sane manner it'll last a long time. A 235 with it's full pressure oiling and insert rod bearings will handle the abuse and last forever.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I love you guys answering a 4 year old thread, it's always good for a chuckle with my coffee.

14. Guess I should look at the date more often. :eek:

Well it doesn't change my answer at all.

Who keeps pulling these up anyway?

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Newbs. This time it was for an unrelated question that probably won't get answered here.

16. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

We have an excellent running '54 235 with flywheel clutch and transmission you can have for $400. You can see it run on utube at 54 235

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The thread is 4 years old, if it he didn't get it solved it isn't getting solved.

18. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

Wow,

I can't believe someone pulled this one from the dead. I sold that project a few years ago to a fellow HAMBer. I have a '51 Pontiac Cheiftain now, but I've been too busy dealing with life in general to get much done on it.

Ed

19. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i hate it when the answer was "sell it" though. at least you passed it on.

20. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Drove my 1950 Bel Air from WV to Calif. with the stock 216 at 65 MPH all day long. Not the best gas mileage, but ran great and still does. Stick with the inline 216 till it breaks, and look for a 235 for the future.

21. moefuzz

moefuzz

22. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I have a Good Running 1954 235 complete with transmission, flywheel, clutch you can have for $400. You can see it run on utube at 54 235

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That was 4 years ago, and had you read the thread you would have seen that he sold the project, nice try though. :rolleyes:

24. 235 ... i sold a 235 for a 100 buck running ,... look around you will find something

25. moefuzz

moefuzz

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

So why are we bumping the 4 year old thread?

27. moefuzz

moefuzz

Funny, I was thinking the same thing

28. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

Some of us need to get a life...

29. freezerburn

freezerburn

+1 for the zombie 216

30. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

IMG_1675  1946 Chevy right side Wharton.JPG Hi. My avatar ere is a 1957 Chevy 235 with goodies. I changed the ring & pinion from the 411 to a 355 and it is great at today's hwy speeds. As yours is a pickup it may already have the 355 or 328? rear end. All the cars had the 411 rear ends.
    I have kept my body & interior stock & the shiny motor is only visible with hood up. Otherwise it appears to be an original car.
    Jimmie