Register now to get rid of these ads!

crate motor identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cadillaccory, Dec 26, 2007.

1. cadillaccory

cadillaccory
    from Tempe

Hi guys,
    I'm going to go look at an early 70's jaguar (converted) tomorrow that has a GM crate motor, but the owner doesn't know which one. He says its a 350/ 350hp motor which would most likely be the zz4, but I wanted to confirm before I purchased it. Does GM stamp their aftermarket blocks like they do their factory ones? He says it has a holley on it, and if it was a complete crate package, then that would be the zz4 I believe, although I might be wrong. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    -Cory

2. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I just bought a car that had a zz385 fastburn in it. I pulled the motor, and there are several things that I believe would be signs of a GM crate motor. If it still has the original intake, it has "GMPerformance Parts" stamped on the top with a small checkered flag logo. Also, if you can get to the back of the block, it will have "GM 5.7L" and some numbers stamped on it. Pull those numbers and post them on here and someone will tell you what they mean. This site is an amazing knowledge base, so if you can get some numbers off the block I'm positive someone will ID it for you.

big mac

3. squirrel

squirrel

the ZZx name came from the code letters stamped on the top of the block, just in front of the pass side head. I'm thinking that if it doesn't say that then it ain't a ZZx motor.

4. cadillaccory

cadillaccory
    from Tempe

Thanks, I will report back first thing tomorrow.
    -Cory

5. dbradley

dbradley

My ZZ4 says so right on the 'pad' like stated above........... Intake will have a bow tie cast right behind the thermostat housing and 10185063 cast on top rear, driver's side where the coil mounts. Your standard over the counter replacements will have a CE designator. Chevrolet Engine, then some numbers for tracking.

6. if he is saying that the Holley came with the engine package....the ZZ4 doesn't come with a carb

the ZZ4 does come with aluminum angle plug heads

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

All of the ZZ series engine I have seen or owned have the ZZ designation on the engine IDnumber/VIN code pad.

I have a ZZZ ... first of the ZZ series ...
    A ZZ3 ...
    A ZZ4 and a couple of ZZ430's

:)

The ZZZ series only came with a intake for Holley ... some of the later series came with provisions for the square flange Holley? AFB's and the Spead bore carbs.

8. cadillaccory

cadillaccory
    from Tempe

To do a follow up on this forum, the motor in the jag was a targetmaster Base GM crate motor. It also had a Q-Jet on it instead of the holley. I ended up passing on the car as it had some spidering on the driver door and the owner was kind've a prick. Thanks for all the help!
    -Cory

9. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

A Jag owner being snooty?!? Never......