Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crashed my econoline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erock805, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Fresh469

Fresh469
    from Benton, KY

never been in a wreck where i was driving, BUT, my dad and I got rearended in his cadillac once and all it did was shake me around a little, no big deal....

couple months later i started haveing back/neck problems and have been living with the pains for the last 4 or 5 years......doctors will not give me anything for the pain because they say i am to young for pain medication...

2. rev106

rev106

No one hurt: Good thing, lucky it was not a front end collision!

I dread when (not if) but when this will happen to my econoline. The tailgates are a tough one for sure, the pan can be taken off any van, not a big deal there. You should get checked out by a doctor just to be on the safe side, it can't hurt. An hour or so of your time may stem years of injury recovery unless you're a doctor. Defer to the experts on that one.

I've seen nice e-100 trucks out here for 5-7 g's in So cal, try looking on craigs list and e-bay and get a file of cars like yours together so you're armed for the battle. It's the ins co plan to low-ball you, don't take it personally, just hang tough.

My one and 1/2 cents.

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Here's what's worked REALLY well for me in the past, when my project vehicles have been hit

As soon as the ins company won't cover the full repair, call the person that hit you, explain their insurance co's position, and ask em for a check to cover the difference. If they won't, say "see you in court" and hang up.

It's never been less than 48 hours and a MUCH more agreeable adjuster called me back.

Think about it. Suppose it was your fault and she calls you because your insurance company wouldn't pay the bill. What are you gonna do? You're gonna rip your agent a new one for exposing you to liability, and demand they pay her bill.

Regardless of what her insurance pays, it's HER LEGAL OBLIGATION to make it right.

good luck

4. erock805

erock805

Okay...another update...this wreck happened back in Oct. of 07.Since then I had the Eco bagged. ( It was scheduled for the shop when I was hit). Still havent found a tailgate. I have not met with a Gieco supervisor at the shop that gave me the $5000 estimate. They sent me a check for roughly $1018. They explination was that the 1018 was a resonable repair price. Also, they refuse to address the rear main leak, that started after the wreck. Im sooo pissed.

I have been going to a chiro for months and my neck is doing much better. But the repair stuff is bringing me down...I think I need to try Shiftys plan...another suggestions?

5. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

did you cash the check for 1018? if so i believe that is all you will get for the econoline repairs. i believe once you cash the check its considered settled

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Better Business Bureau.

7. erock805

erock805

oh Hell no...I just told them I would not accept it and that I was going to send it back.

8. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

Sorry about the ride, but glad you and the younging are not hurt!

Do you guys know why insurance rates are so high? And why they try to give less money? Cause all the people that think like the ones that try to screw the company! if people would qiut thinking that there car is worth a million bucks, and try to get two when some wreckless driver totals there shit, then maybe we all would get a fair deal in the end!

9. ray

ray
    from colorado

then you should fly your smart ass over and fix the econoline for $1000.

if someone rearends you why the fuck should you have to be out ANY expense for repair?

10. belair

belair

You will get a lot more attention from the insurance company over your injuries than the damage to your car. In Texas I believe you have 3 years to settle a claim like this. Don't be in hurry to "just be done with it". The insurance companies will try to wait you out-6 monthes is nothing to them. Keep piling up doctor bills for them to pay, etc-they will eventually want to be rid of you and pay you to go away.

11. erock805

erock805

Thanks Belair...needed some re-enforcement on my position. I think it would actually be easier and faster to make a tailgate than to mess with the one I have. No way all this work would get done for 1000.

It was interesting. I saw something on the news about a 5mph crash to a nissan ultima resulted in a $5000, repair bill. I got hit a lot harder than 5 miles and hour. Further, those are replaceable parts...there are no off the shelf replacement parts for the Econo..and they want gieco says its worth a $1000. I dont get it.

12. spudshaft

spudshaft

Hey -- I am a lawyer, and not to encourage the other bottom feeders, but you need to go talk to your local ambulance chaser. Remember you may have a limited amount of time to do anything (sounds like you are being jerked around) and good or bad, a letter from a lawyer does tend to get peoples' attention. Good luck

13. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Me too. About 6 years after the wreck (rear end colllision, head turned to the side) they found that I actually had broken vertebra and ligament and nerve damage. Amazing how the docs couldn't find that at the time (State Farm was involved) even though I couldn't feel my hands at the time and my vision began to take a progressive dive. It has been almost 10 years since the wreck. I have enough pain every day to make you want to kill yourself, but that claim is long gone. Signed away by my being "well I can still move" then. I am legally blind now, not entirely from the wreck, some is genetic, some from other reasons, but I am sure it started deteriorating there. I'm still hard headed, not cryin' in my beer, or being a candy ass, but you do get worn out after crap like that. You need to think about your family and their needs if something comes up later, I wish I had.

Make sure before you sign anything, and get a lawyer. Just get a lawyer. I won't even start on the wound infection and the belly surgery I had without anesthetic that fucked up my head...

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

FWIW I had a coworker that got in an accident on his motorcycle (other party at fault). He and the other party were covered by Geico, he got a check to 'help cover costs' and he told them he would give it to his Attourney. They got all wierd about it then, so he got ahold of his attourney immediately and found out that burried in some of the fine print on the check, was a statement that said by cashing the check he indemnified Geico of any further liability in the case (he was in a coma for 3 days, I don't recall the exact amount of the check, but IIRC it didn't cover the ambulance ride and admittance to the ER, let alone the rest of the medical, or any of the damage to his bike). Just a note here, to be clear, this is as told to me by my coworker (I never saw any of the doccumentation or spoke with his attourny).

So be carefull, check out an attourney and at least find out how long you have, I have had to wait for a while before, here there seems to be a change with how they deal with you right around the 1 Yr aniversary of the accident.

Glad to hear you're having good luck with a chiropractor (and that you evidently got checked out sometime).

15. There was a sweet rust free Econoline in the Pick-a-Part in Arcadia CA. three weeks ago. I'm pretty sure the tailgate was there. It had a small truck camper on it. It was pretty well picked over but the sheet metal was great. It was just sitting there waiting for it's turn in the crusher....

16. erock805

erock805

2years in AZ to file a claim. I had heard that when the lawyers get involved they end up getting the money, and you still end up short. Now I have 3 corporate lawyers in my family....I can see that happening. Like to handle things myself I guess.

17. nexxussian

nexxussian

Not saying you should hire one, but there is usaually one in any area that you can go to and for a small fee they will splain your options to you (there is one here that likes to advertise this as being free, I figure he's using that as a loss leader).

Otherwise it sounds like and excellent advert for prepaid legal (been thinking about buying a policy there).

18. brewsir

brewsir

I have had prepaidlegal for 3 years and will never be without it....it's worth the 25 bucks a month when something like this happens ...I used to have a website because I sell prepaid legal also but dropped it when I quit actively working at getting ahead! ;)

19. DrJ

DrJ

That sucks.

NEVER "sign off" on your or your kids sore back and neck injuries...
    And yes, you do have them!

20. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

21. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

erock... I see you're also in Arizona.
    I got rear-ended a couple years back, thought I'd try Goldberg & Osbourne, the ambulance chasers on TV. They were as useless as tits on a witch.