Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crane Cams???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sidevalve8ba, Feb 11, 2013.

1. I thought that Crane went bankrupt some time ago yet I keep seeing their products advertised. Can someone enlighten me?

2. I think that they reorganized as opposed to going out of business.

3. Moedog07

Moedog07

S&S Cycle of Viola, Wisconsin, purchased Crane Cams in April 2009 and struggled along with the company.

4. That's interesting. I never heard of S&S Cycle though. Has something to do with motorcycles?:confused:

5. bgaro

bgaro

S&S is huge,carbs,motors,etc.

6. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. I know who you;re talking about now. They make stroker kits and carbs and so forth for Harleys. Sure I remember now.

7. Yep. They have been around forever.

8. chase knight

chase knight

Actually, George and Ken Smith (who are also part owners of S&S Cycle) purchased Crane Cams. The summer of 2009 was spent reorganizing, and we're up to full production on our product lines (valvetrain and ignition) since early 2010. Still in Daytona Beach, FL, but in a much nicer building now. Regards, Chase

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I have no first hand knowledge of this. What I read was that in spite of a slow-down Crane was a viable enterprise.When the financial business got in a bind Crane wasn't able to get short term loans as they had in the past, and that was the end for them.

10. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Well, there back going again as Chase said, he's worked for them for over 35 years now.....

11. That's interesting! I didn't know that.

I've been using S&S parts for years. Hell back in the late 80's I built a Pan/Shovel hardtail chopper using S&S engine cases.

12. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Be suprised if they struggled all that much.Worked with them to build most of the die cast tooling for their new evolution motor they came out with a couple of years ago.Great engineers to work with and one of very few companys that insisted on the tooling built in the usa.

13. FityFive

FityFive

It is awesome to have the "Chase Knight" from Crane here on the HAMB! This place amazes me.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

somewhere in my stuff, I have a cam recommendation letter signed by Chase from back in the seventies, back when there was no such thing as email. and people used to actually correspond by sending these paper things called "letters":eek:. "Letters" are very "traditional";):D. I should try to find it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Chase, are you familiar with a guy named Dan Thayer from Western New York?

16. FEBCO

FEBCO

Chase.....thank you for setting this straight before it got out of control.....Fred

17. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i wanted to fave a model A cam ground to modelB epecs,a friend said to call harvy crane and he could do it. i called him [look up harvy crane on internet, call and harvy will answer], i asked him about the A cam, he instantly went into all the specs on model A$B came and said it was imposible to regrind an A into a B cam. said there was a man in mich. that said he could and that they had quite an disagreement [not his words]. a great guy who likes to talk model A-B cams, never would have thought he would have known so much about them, untill i read his biography thats on his website. check it out....

18. Ritz Rats

Ritz Rats

Hi, I live in Sweden. There is a Company over hear that are grinding cams, they can even make new cams. Check this out www.agap.se

19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool .... Hey Model A & B guys, check out their split cam.

20. Model A/B cam, "now that's a camshaft"
    Kind of hidden the two added supports in order to run real valve springs.

IMG_1957 reduced.jpg