Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Craigslist has less ads now it seems...new site suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris_n, Dec 10, 2019.

1. chris_n

chris_n

Ever since Craigslist started charging $5.00 to list used cars for sale, I noticed a drop in old car ads (or is it just me?). Where does everyone go to get their "I'm just looking" project car / classic car fix?

Thanks
    Chris

2. slimbobaggins

slimbobaggins

I'd like to know the same thing. There's some stuff on Faceboom marketplace, but like most of faceboom, their interface is stupid and won't search more than a 100 mile radius around a given zip code.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. If you looking for something that will fit in here why not try the Hamb first. Type in “project”

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

Facebook marketplace is a big one, but as Slimbobaggins said, the search functionality of it is kinda shitty. I am told a lot of cars and parts get offered and sold on Instagram but I'm not really familiar with how that's done.

5. topher5150

topher5150

I'm seeing a lot less of anything on CL lately especially parts. I'm lucky if I can find a dozen of anything, and they all seem to be the same ads running for a year or so.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

$5.00 to advertise a car for sale, Cripes, a latte at Starbucks costs five bucks.

7. Just type in a different city and it'll search there.

Roadsir and Old wolf like this.
  8. chris_n

chris_n

I know but that's not the point. Since the fee was implemented, there has been a drop in listings for the old cars. I'm just trying to find an alternative to do my browsing.

lilmann likes this.
  9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Craigslist ads here have not diminished in number but I have also noticed more than a few sellers listing their old cars under "auto parts" or "general" in order to avoid the $5 fee.

10. gatz

gatz

You could use Search Tempest.
    It's not a part of CL, but will search CL ads; and not just for cars either.
    You specify the item you're looking for and a search radius from your zip code.

11. 62rebel

62rebel

Google will search all applications, the trouble is when sellers can't flipping spell the name of the car correctly.... and they can't differentiate between really old listings and current ones, it seems

12. Hamb Classifieds. HRP

13. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Yes, I find a lot of project vehicles listed under the auto parts heading. Also type in specific years which will frequently lead you to other close by projects in the surrounding areas.

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Not exactly the answer to the OPs question but I've found using an Craigslist app makes searching there far more user friendly and covers more area efficiently. Also to another comment, I purposely misspell stuff on CL when searching. I was looking for Cragers, Kragers, Craigers, Creger ss awhile back. These dumb bastards can't even copy the spelling in their own pictures.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. If someone isn't willing to cough up five bucks to list a car for sale then they probably really don't want to sell it and are just fishing.

16. I notice lots of people are listing older cars in antiques category to avoid the the charge.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

alanp561 likes this.
  17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I haven't noticed any particular decrease in the number of ads. Also, it is winter and car for sale ads tend to decrease.

18. oldolds

oldolds

I noticed the same thing. It always amazes me that people that want full price for an item will not pay for advertising. The same thing happened when a local free unless you sell paper started charging $2 up front!

19. sfowler

sfowler

all of us local car guys looked at craigs list almost every day , some just for fun and others to look for projects or bargains . craigslist really let us down with their new fees . all of the older car ads have dried up for sure . most areas used to have 2 or 3 pages of cool older cars . that's all gone !

osage orange and slim38 like this.
  20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I never see too many "deals" if it has to hit the internet before it sells, but anymore thats the only place I see anything for sale.
    Everyone is looking to get lucky, Ya never can tell what anyone would really take for what they have judging by the price they have on it (depends on the person I guess)
    5 bucks doesnt bother me, its all the jargon one would probably have to go through to pay it, I dont like throwing credit card info etc around everywhere myself.
    Stuff in the classifieds here usually seems as high if not higher priced as anywhere to me, just as well off, or maybe even better off to still look at ebay.
    ( I also "look" at copart some) I can arrange to buy something there if I get serious)
    I like Market place pretty good, but hard to find anything there that isnt some kind of scam,too high, etc.etc..
    and the fact that if it isnt a pretty good deal, Im gonna be too cheap to buy it anywayo_O
    But yeah I like to look...every now and then something does come up that someone else doesnt nab first:D

INVISIBLEKID, 48fordnut and verde742 like this.
  21. RodStRace

RodStRace

Selling without a fee means you enter the info, get the email and hit Publish.
    Charging a fee (any amount) means supplying personal financial info to the site.
    That is a chilling effect no matter what the charge.
    Comparing the price to a super-premium coffee isn't the point.
    Giving your info to yet another place that can/will be hacked means you have created another source for data issues. Some people send their personal banking all over every day. Many will not.
    HAMB is good, focused content, but Search for "Arizona" and you get a lot of results that have "Bought out of Arizona", not stuff actually here.
    Search for "T-Bucket" in Cars For Sale and you get a 51 Ford with bucket seats and a T5 trans.
    Also, the price is not shown unless you open the post, let alone being able to set parameters.
    I've heard some traffic has moved to FB and other places, but I don't go there. Ebag used to have great old unique stuff, but the terms and hassles forced many out, to be replaced by drop-shippers all listing the same stuff.

Just like the local classifieds and pennysaver paper, it's another thing that has gone away, but the new, best place isn't firmed up yet.

22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

FB Marketplace has been a godsend in terms of the classifieds because of how much easier the interface is. Everyone has the FB app on their phone. You just click the picture, add the content, and you upload the add. Plus it's exponentially easier to get int touch with someone since you just message them on FB. It's also way easier to tell if someone is legit or not by just looking at their profile. I don't need to worry about clowns on CL and trying to figure out if they're a scammer. If I see that a guy lives local and has pictures of his old car on his FB profile, chances are he's a bona fide purchaser.

48fordnut and Roadsir like this.
  23. Latigo

Latigo

I now use FB marketplace too. I don’t get the scammers and nice to see a photo and history of who responds.

lucky ink likes this.
  24. Wow - like your 5th post and your asking for help searching for stuff to buy - let me guess - your a flipper.....I don't mind the $5 CL fee....for local stuff....but heck...last two sales went to England anyway.....one was a 1943 GPW......little friendly.......spent the $5 without hesitation......looking thru the parts section you find a lot of stuff......

48fordnut likes this.
  25. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

26. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I used to brows CL all the time. My wife called it my hobby! lol Since it went to crap, I've moved to the FB market. BUT I find FB market kind of awkward to navigate. Plus, in my area it seems like the same cars have been on there for a year or more. There's the site OfferUp also, pretty easy to navigate, but same deal as FBMP.....Seems the same cars have been posted for years.

Blues4U likes this.
  27. 1ton

1ton

A lot of people have gone to the Facebook marketplace. I am not a FB'er and never will be. Letgo is not doing it and forget selling on the auction site. I sell on Craigslist only, with good results. I search on Craigslist, Ebay, Fordbarn and the Hamb. Now that I've thought about it, I think I'm going out to get the latest edition of Hemmings Motor News. Used to subscribe, kept it in the shitter, and read that fine print cover to cover.

28. Budget36

Budget36

29. chris_n

chris_n

No. I don't buy and sell cars. I am actually sincere about trying to figure out the best place to browse. I used to browse CL to pass time in the evening...literally window shopping.

I'm truly sincere in my request...what is another outlet...cause nothing really compares to old school CL (pre-$5.00).

I'd actually love to create a site for car guys but my degree is in electrical engineering and not software.

Chris