Register now to get rid of these ads!

Craig Breedlove record medalion? history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Dec 31, 2010.

1. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I got this Craig Breedlove medallion on ebay a year ago..ish but the seller had no info on it. I'm not looking for history on Craig Breedlove or Spirit of America.
    I'm looking to find out where this medallion came from? How old? How you could get it back then...mail order...cereal box? Any history? I just wanna be able to give the best description when people are looking at my little collection. I haven't seen another one like it, and I hope one of you have

Attached Files:

2. the shadow

the shadow

thats cool! breedlove is the Man, very smart & interesting guy.

3. seatex

seatex

Damn, that is WAAAAAY COOL!

4. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Its a cool piece of land speed history. Especially for the fact that we brought the world land speed record back during that time...too bad we haven't reclaimed it....yet

5. Might also try posting on the www.landracing.com message board. Lots of longtime racers there to help.

6. ewt2

ewt2

That's so cool! The Spirit's here in Chicago at the Museum of Science and Industry. Some day I'm going to do a drawing of that thing flying across the salt!

7. firingorder1

firingorder1

I just googled "Craig Breedlove Medallion" and found one on a website called worthpoint.com with one one it. They won't tell you what it sold for unless you sign up. 7 day free trial $9.99 a month thereafter. Seeing that I don't have that ultra cool medallion I'll let you find out how much one sold for. : - )

8. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

When I first got it I googled my eyes out trying to get some back ground on it. Today was the first day in a while that I tried...I googled and didnt find anything. Im gonna venture on there and see.....to me its priceless, just as the post card and old magazine ads I have with "Spirit of America" on it. Woulda been wonderful to have been there to watch all those great LSR's.

9. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

no luck so far on this....hmmmm.....anyone know the Breedlove family?

10. hello oldskoolflyer13

This medaillon seems to be a brass issue of the Gold medal of FIM (fédération internationale de motocyclisme) the international motorbike association.

Craig Breedlove received this award in 1966 because of his land speed record with Spirit of America which was a three wheeler and considered by the FIM as a motorbike.

The Gold Medal of the FIM was established in 1963 and, so far, the FIM
    Gold Medals awarded the following:

At the London Congress, October 1963:

Mr. T.W. LOUGHBOROUGH, Secretary General of the FIM from 1912 to 1958, for his
    dedication to the FIM

CRAIG BREEDLOVE, holder at the time of the absolute world record speed
    on earth with a three-wheeled vehicle
    At the Warsaw Congress, October 1966, posthumously:

R. GULLBERG (CSI), died in the opening contest of Internationl
    Six Days 1966
    At the Geneva Congress, October 1971:

G. CURLI, Honorary Member of CSI, for his dedication to the FIM and
    work of compilation of World Records and Code
    During the Spring Meetings, March 1977, posthumously:

MM BARAMBON, which was in turn a member of the Finance Committee in 1953,
    1954 and 1956, Vice-President of the FIM from 1957 to 1960, and Chairman of
    Finance in 1952, 1955 and 1961 to 1976, for his devotion to the FIM
    the many different functions assumed for many years,
    incoditionnelle with fidelity to the FIM
    When Congress in Poznan, October 1978:

MHW BOENSCH, Honorary President of the CT, in recognition of his
    contribution to technological development in motor sports
    When Congress in Montreux in October 1979:

Mr. A. LENFRANC, Honorary Vice-President of the FIM, in recognition of
    many years he devoted to the cause of motorcycling as
    a Member of the Central Bureau

link here: http://www.fim-live.com/fr/fim/distinctions/medaille-dor-de-la-fim/

history of FIM here: http://www.fim-live.com/fr/fim/a-propos-de-la-fim/

Nicolas

11. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Good info! I wonder who made these, what year, how one purchased, and how many were made?

12. There's a start to something very cool..............................
    Good luck

13. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Ive only seen this one....there is a picture of one bought on ebay posted on worth.com, and I think it may be mine. I didnt pay more than $30 for it....may be more than what its worth, but worth it to me. Im slowly building a collection of Craig Breedlove and "Spirit of America" stuff...Im hoping to find some cool things that deal with Art Arfons and "The Green Monster". Still have hope that a HAMBer will recognize this piece

14. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

posted on landracing.com ....all views and no replies. Sometimes mystery can be a good thing, but in this case...I'd like to know. Someone pin the tail on the donkey. Think Im gonna put this in a locked display case since this doesnt appear to be a "dime a dozen" kinda deal.

15. Where did you post in over there> I do not see it?

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I know its a bit off topic, but how the hell did the French get to be the recognized record sanctioning body? (FIM, FIA)
    It would seem to me that the record sactioning body should be US or English as they've been the active countries in land speed racing. I asked Tom Burkland this and he was at a loss for an answer as well.
    As for the medallion,I'd look to see if one of the Spirit of America sponsors issued it as a collectible. That's my best guess.

17. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

18. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Maybe it because Count Gaston of France set the first automobile land speed record of 39.245mph in 1898. Imagine the looks on there faces as they were going that fast...hell, a toyota prius can do that:D

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well they do have the fastest reverse gear in a tank, :D , but back on topic very cool item

20. Since you are collecting different items with "Sprit Of America" on them, have you seen the old LP record cover with the photo of the wrecked Sprit Of America on the cover (tail fin sticking up out of the water)? I had a copy at one time, but sold it at a car parts meet or show years ago. Probably could find one on eBay.
    Never seen your medal though. Cool item and sounds like it's not too common.

21. It's really simple Chaz. We let those cheese eating surrender monkies oversee auto racing, tennis,bicycling and soccer so their self esteem will be boosted!

22. exactly!!!:

23. And there still the first to surrender the cheese.

24. For Sale: French tank, only driven in reverse. Make Offer.

25. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

i was at a dinner party put on by some of my wifes italian/american friends. their kids were planning on attending some school in italy, some kind of legacy program. they were worried about any possible military service obligations. i just had to pipe-up "don't worry, they can thow a rifle down and run, can't they?" didn't get a lotta laughs:rolleyes:

26. Chaz

Why were Craig Breelove records sanctioned by Frenchies ?

FIM use French language because it was founded in Paris in 1904. Since 1949 FIM is the worldwide sanctioning body for motorcycle competition and it federate more than hundred national motorcycle associations. Its headquarter is now in Geneva (Switzerland)

In 1960, Craig Breedlove originally designed a four-wheeled vehicle, only to learn that FIA offered no class for jet cars. Since FIM sanctioned a motorcycle class for thrust-powered three-wheelers, Breedlove modified his plans for "Spirit of America"

Nicolas

THE FIM history From 1904 to 2009 (Google translation)

2004 was the year of the commemoration of the centenary of the International Motorcycling Federation. It was founded December 21, 1904 in Paris, in the halls of the restaurant Ledoyen, as the International Federation of Motorcycle Clubs.

The Motocycle Club de France organized a competition, the International Cup in Dourdan, south-west of Paris, 25 September 1904 which was attended by the following countries: Germany, Austria, Denmark, France and Great Britain. The race was won by France, but disagreements arose over the conditions of the race. Consequently, the sports authorities of the five countries represented were together and had the idea to create the International Federation of Motorcycle Clubs (MHIF).
    However, the birth of this Federation was premature. In July 1906, at a meeting on the occasion of the International Cup in Pacov, Bohemia, delegates from countries participating in the event - Germany, Austria, France and Britain - decided by mutual agreement to dissolve the Federation. But as a matter of procedure, the MHIF was not dissolved but simply remained inactive, the British Federation (ACU) is the only subscriber in 1907.

Five years later, the ACU took the initiative to convene a meeting at the Olympia in London November 28, 1912. Delegates from Belgium, Denmark, United States, France, Great Britain, Holland and Italy attended the meeting. The MHIF was reconstituted to control and develop the aspects of motorcycling in sports and tourism, and to assist the user in the above areas. Two weeks later, a congress was held in Paris in which, in addition to the countries already mentioned, Germany, Austria and Switzerland. These ten countries are considered the official founding of the FICM. The Marquis de Saint-Mars Mouzilly was elected Patron and the Honourable Sir Arthur Stanley MP was elected President. The following year saw the first international event under the auspices of the FICM: International Six Days Regularity.

The number of national associations affiliated to the MHIF rose from 10 in 1912 to 30 on the eve of World War II. In 1936 took place at Wembley Stadium the first World Final Speedway, the first official World Championship and first title of World Champion for the Australian Lionel Van Praag.

In 1937, an agreement was drawn between the FICM and AIACR (International Association of Recognised Automobile Clubs, forerunner of the FIA) defining their relationship and ensuring close cooperation between both organizations.

After the war, MHIF reconvened in 1946. In 1947 the Netherlands, an event called cross-country was held with British pilots, Belgium and Holland was the first Motocross des Nations. In 1949, the FICM took the name of International Motorcycling Federation (FIM). This year marked the beginning of the most prestigious motorcycle racing: World Championship Grand Prix Road Racing.

In 1951, the FIM was recognized by the Union of International Associations as international non-governmental organization. Since 1959 it is part of the Federation of International Institutions semi-official and private organizations in Geneva (FIIG).

Individual Motocross Championships were created during the 50s, first the 500cc, 250cc then, becoming both the World Championships in 1957 and 1962 respectively.

In 1958, Thomas Wynn Loughborough, Secretary General of the FIM since its revival in 1912, is retiring. In January 1959, the headquarters of the FIM is then transferred to England where he had been since its revival in 1912 in Switzerland, specifically Geneva, for reasons of economic and political stability.

During the 60s it was the turn of the Trial to appear, first as a trophy, then as the European Championship and finally the World Championship in 1975. The Enduro starts as European Championship Individual Two Days in 1968 and became a World Championship in 1990. World Championship Ice Racing was established in 1966 and the World Championship Long Track in 1971.

In 1967, the FIM became a founding member of the General Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF). In 1984, the FIM became a member of the International Council for Physical Education and Sport Science (ICSSPE). In 1994, FIM has become a member of the European Council for Transport Safety Council (ETSC, English "European Transport Safety Council).

In January 1998, the FIM has been granted a provisional basis, the status of federation recognized by the IOC. In May 1998, she became a member of the Association of International Sports Federations recognized by the IOC (ARISF, English "Association of the IOC Recognised International Sports Federations).

In 1998 it was renamed the International Motorcycling Federation. New Statutes were adopted at the Congress held in Cape Town.
    In September 2000 during the Sydney Olympics, won the FIM, as a final status Federation recognized by the IOC.

Finally, in 2001, the FIM became an affiliate member of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).

FIM has also signed a memorandum of cooperation with the United Nations Environment Programme in 2006 and 2008.

27. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Great history and humor so far.....back on topic....Just got a email address for a lady that was a team member with Breedlove. Hoping to get some answers on this medallion. So far folks over on landspeed.com havent recognized this yet either. The more I find out the more I will pass. I never thought this item would be such a mystery. I kinda figured it was something that was well circulated at some point

28. Concerning the origin of this medaillon, as Chaz said it could have been a collectible issued by a sponsor of "Spirit of America".
    But If I remember there were only two sponsors, Goodyear and Shell and both would have added their brand logo to the medaillon and they would certainly have mass produced it.
    The only brand on the medaillon is FIM. Maybe it was a collectible issued by the FIM, an explanation for its rarity?

However oldskoolflyer13,

I have a track for you: Georges Klass (Hamb name) worked from 1964 to 1968 with Craig Breelove. Maybe he knows perhaps something?

29. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I havent seen the LP version....there is a cd out that I believe is from that LP. Always on the search for cool stuff like that. Would be kinda cool to add to the LP collection

30. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Ive thought the same, that maybe its a collectible issued by FIM. I emailed a lady named Louise that was a team member with Breedlove (unsure of years), Im hoping that between George and her...and maybe Craig that this mystery medallion can be solved

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011