Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cragar SS and whitewalls???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XOFMOT, Mar 27, 2010.

1. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Do some of you guys sit around all night, with a pocket knife, trying to see just HOW MANY single, individual, fibrous strands you can get from that hair you're splitting?

Tradition without changing any, SINGLE, little thing is just repetition....
    Repetition is REAL quick to become boring, unless you are old and set in your ways so much as to find the mundane to be a woobie that you just cannot imagine living without, some subtle differences must crop up, and put a new spin on an old idea.
    I STILL will never run Cragar's with WWW's, because my dad drummed it into my head when I was a kid that "mag wheels DID NOT get white walls" in fact, Astro's didn't even exist around here, from the pix I can remember seeing...everything in the 60's pix here, seemed to sport Cragars....but, then, we weren't lowrider types.
    I can remember HATING pinner whites....old man tires.
    Haha...
    Anyway, I'll never do it, because I don't have the balls to...it was pounded into my head, and I'm brainwashed for all eternity, now....

but I'm glad somebody has the balls to, otherwise, diversity is dead...then we'll ALL be driving the same roadster, or Impala with Astro's, or Merc with flippers, or whatever....
    Besides, I get bored at shows, I need something to flip my wig, once in a while...so I can poke fun of it while basking in my own fear.:D

My young apprentice at the shop plays in a metal band....I HATE their music, it doesn't sound at all like my metal, has different cues, and details, and, hell, of course MY generation invented it...but, whatever, at least he's playing metal.

I get the feeling that for some of you, it will not be enough to stop until we invent a time machine, and ACTUALLY return to a specific year....
    Well...that summer when you got laid because you had just the right tire/wheel combo, on the right car, for once in your life, is over....

So, hate it or not, calling a whole car out, as a blasphemy to "tradition" because of a 5 or so year ( and perhaps regional, as well...) discrepancy on a tire/wheel combo, is...well...

Mild diversions are just that...mild.

It's never gonna be 19(whatever-year-YOUR-traditional-period-begins) again, so you may as well start to get used to SOME variations on the theme, especially if the whole rest of the car is sano, and well-built.
    Sure, you don't have to like it, but...to just come out with the old "it's just wrong" and "you can't do that, it wasn't done then" is starting to sound like grating in my ears...
    And I think I EVEN said that, on the last Cragar/WWW thread! ;)
    Christ, some of you are so inflexable, and crotchety, with such a poor and arrogant way of communicating, I'd hate to be your kids...
    Thanks for reminding me to try like hell, with ALL MY MIGHT, to avoid this same fate...I need those reminders, as I grow older, too...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Funny thing is...he DIDN'T ask what works traditionally.
    He didn't ask for any of this debate at all...
    He asked for pix.

3. I think all the debate was a replacement for the fact no pictures of SS's with fat whites exist. Hell, I couldn't resist:D. Keep in mind, most of us know what the thread was supposed to be about. But, almost every thread I've ever read gets switched off to another direction sooner or later;). So, in keeping with "tradition", we decided to de-rail this thread as well:D

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

And has been done, and hopefully will be done, there are people who truly do care about "traditional hot rods and customs" that will continue to stem the tide of non-traditional thoughts and ideas sneaking in. There are lots of other messageboards.

There ya go... looks like that is what you were trying to say.

wah wah, welcome to the HAMB. Wether you ask for it or not you will get "what's traditional"... It's awesome.

5. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

No...what I said, is exactly what I meant.
    Not your personal edit.

Remember, the devil is in the "details", right???

Some of you guys really think you are "the old man on the mountain"...
    Tell me, is it lonely, up there, at the top?

Anyway....yeah, you definately can count on the opinions flying, on here, no matter what. I think Mr. Sibley's car wears the tire/wheel combo just fine, but then...I disagree with most of you on many things...

6. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Ha! O.K., that IS funny, right there...
    Yeah....the tradition is CERTAINLY to de-rail threads with opinions, but, see...you, sir, have a sense of humor about your opinion, and the whole subject, thus illustrating your ability to not take yourself, or your estimation of the value of your own opinion, too overly seriously.
    Some of these answers, sometimes, don't just strike you as insanely arrogant???
    Some folks replies come off as though they think theirs is the word of the Almighty...
    Hell...most times they are even correct, but just the damn attitude behind the words is such a chore to bear anymore, you just want to disagree anyway...

Christ, after reading this thread, I swear, I want to put WWW's on Cragar's on everything....just because I won't get into heaven.
    I wanna see them on everything, now...buses, Miata's, Big ass 44" WWW Boggers on bead locks.......;)
    Maybe it's like reverse psychology....?:D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  7. Haha, me too now:D

8. Yea look like a diamond in a pigs snout.

9. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

when I was in high school everybody ran cragars, air shocks, thrush...

Personally I can dig the thin white on a cragar on a lowered custom. Wide whites were VERY popular with the brothers in my school .They ran em on 98's, caddy's, stuff like that. Thats as traditional as I can remember , my lifetime.

I ran steelies one time because my hubcaps got stolen

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

As much as i love the look of thin whites on either cragers/supremes/rockets.....i think some cars look good w/ a taller white band, mind me, not a whole white sidewall!
    jonah's wagon its kool, i'd scale'em down a bit but still i think they look good on it.
    Ponchos impala is perfect imo, but those arent wide whites are they? theyre more like 2inchers, which is just what i meant.
    Ok, this was my useless opinion, now back to regular bashing! :D

11. Becky @ Whitewall Candy Store has them and calls em T-Bird whites. 1.3" whitewall and they don't go all the way down to the wheel. Great looking tire

12. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

_________________________________________________ 'Your an old fuck', just like me(60).:) This newbie went to the HAMB drags last year. Had a great time but was susprised at all the AC, PS, Disc B, Radial tires. Heck...I bet these young whipper snappers don't even use a stick welder anymore!!!

13. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Wow! You're only 52 and thinking you're old? :confused: Starting to think I'm a fossil around here now.:D I'm now 67 and still pumping air.So I guess I may have been around back then.....;)

14. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

T-bird whites. Thanx, i'll go check it out, at least for knowledge's sake.

This is actually the whitewall i prefer for this type of wheel, i think it looks great!
    I'd say its the one you talk about Groucho, as those on Ponchos '64 seem
    to have a larger white wall. I'll take these for Cragars anyday over any WWW.
    I seem to read Hankok on the side wall. they might even be the cheapo ones:D
    Any chance i could get to this by grindin the blackwall of the pinners?:(
    yeah i know, very rat roddish, but i just recently bought a set for cheap and im having them shipped pretty soon, and if i could get a white band this large i would be more than happy! after all its not like i can buy them everyday over here......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

I think it looks good, go for it, its your car.

16. It looks like the whitewall in the bottom picture was ground wide from a pinner. There was a thread on that here on the HAMB a while ago too

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The were the hot lick on early Nova's in the 60's. Also on Falcons such in the Ford line that used 4 lug 13's.

The chrome spoke wheel be it Crager or Astro looks great on the 50's/60's customs but I still don't think they are right for a pre fat fender car. Not so much era or theme correct as they just overpower and dominate most of those cars instead of being part of the whole blend like on the later cars.

18. Deuces

Deuces

52 huh? I'm about to turn 50 in about a week. :( To me, that's scarey!! I don't think I want blow out the candles this year. Yikes!! :eek:

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

This is something that is correct. WWs were on their way out when Cragars came on the market so it wasn't something that was around for a long time. Skinny Whites and Cragars/Supremes/Rockets are a different story. I remember for awhile stock black rims with babymoons and skinny whites were kind of popular. I even remember in the 70s when Chevy Rally rims and skinny whites were a popular thing. By the way, to everyone, including Groucho (I have a brother named Chico too) No hard feelings, car guys should support each other regardless of taste or style preferred.:D

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

This is correct. Wide whites were on their way out when Cragars hit the streets. That is why the combo didn't last very long. Skinny whites on Cragars/Supremes/Rockets are a different story. I remember for awhile stock black rims with babymoons and skinny whites were kind of popular.
    And in the 70s, Chevy Rally rims with Skinny whites were popular. Of course the muscle cars had those raised white letters. We are all car nuts here and instead of bickering like old ladies, we should show more support, regardless of taste or style.
    To everyone here including Groucho (I have a brother named "Chico" too)no hard feelings:D

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yeah never noticed! I'll do a search.
    BTW, did you recognize the car? its Jesse James 69 impala, the one he built inside Folsom prison in a week on Monster Garage!
    Beautiful lowrider! maybe i can pm him and ask him about those tires.

22. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Just finished the install of WW on Cragars.....

[​IMG]

23. WWs don't go on ANYTHING newer than '61. That's when the auto makers all went to skinny whites. But this is America, and you are free to drive a cheesy pimpmobile if you want to.

24. Patrick46

Patrick46

I've got 'em on my panel truck...but I cheated and powder-coated the rims first (;cause they were pited and rusty). I've got the knock-off spinners too! :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

25. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Why would anyone want to run a Cragar SS anyway? I think they are almost as ugly as aluminum slots.........:) Supremes are by far a nicer looking wheel

26. Patrick46

Patrick46

Money my friend! I had these from my wife's '71 Camaro, and needed some wheels fer the truck...wha-lah!!! Instant rims!!

27. Deuces

Deuces

I bet you like those $1000 a piece tomato slicing rims huh?? :eek: :eek:

28. Anderson

Anderson

Aluminum slots are ugly...in most cases.

Astros are cool.....but Cragars are so much tougher. Neither is better or worse, just different. I got rid of my astros for SS's and am still in love with the look.

Cragars are gorgeous...just not with wide whites. Pinner whites, blackwalls, redlines, perfect.

29. dmw56

dmw56

Yup it's a rat rod! But it has wide whites on Cragars. Nothing "Traditional" about it and not supposed to be. Bash away fellas.

[​IMG]

30. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Yep you figured me out.......lol