Register now to get rid of these ads!

cragar SS and white walls?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cavistyle, Apr 11, 2009.

1. S.F.

S.F.

The cragar SS showed up around 1965 and by then wide white wall tires were going out of style, if not totally out of style. some guys were still running them, but not on a cragar SS (thats not to say it was never done but most did not). a cragar SS would be more period with a thin white wall or a red line tire....or a white letter tire, or black wall. Im not one to tell you what you should do to your car. But it is mixing two different era's and is not "correct". To me it is like trying to put a wide white on a Ford Tauras....but that is just me, and its your car so do what you want. Its a hobby and for fun so who cares.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

3. illstorm

illstorm
    from Atlanta Ga

A couple old skool lowriders sitting cragers and skinny white walls.

Attached Files:

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

My friend had them on a 62 Chevy Impala a few years ago, looked a little confused I guess looking back at it but I liked it, Ida done it.

5. illstorm

illstorm
    from Atlanta Ga

A couple more old skool lowriders. :D

Attached Files:

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

Because you asked for opinions...

"Back in the day" (I was there, though I rarely admit it, being the studly gent that I am) you'd never see it done by rodders with taste. Nobody wanted to "mix metaphors" by dragging the old into the new. Seems like the same principal would apply today.

Narrow whitewalls, however, were just as "new" as were Cragar SS wheels, so the combo was very much "in style" on street customs, but less so on performance-oriented cars where redline tires, raised white letter or "black out" mounting of whitewall tires ruled.

But then...it's your car, and you should absolutely do whatever appeals to you...regardless of anybody else's opinion, including mine. :)

Just my $.02

7. Cragars & wide whites: EEEEWWWWWW (with very few exceptions)
    Cragars & pin whites: only OK because they're not WW
    Cragars & redlines: looks good on most muscle cars
    Cragars & white letters: perfect for the 1970's look
    Cragars & blackwalls: the 'right' thing to do

Having been around in Calif. for the start of the Cragar craze, I only remember blackwalls, until white letters came out. I ran Cragar SS on my 66 GTO back in the day. If I needed tires and thin whitewalls were a good price, I'd buy them, turn the WW to the inside after I sanded it and rattle-canned 'em flat black.

Attached Files:

8. ribbon white walls, on Cragar ss wheels look great ! But hey it's your ride, what ever you like ! My .02 cents worth as well !

9. depends on the car and the size of wheel tire combo...

10. go blackwalls... don't ruin a good thing!

11. soylent

soylent
    BANNED
    from FL

Heres my 63 I like it, and thats all that matters, I dropped the tail 3 inchs last weekend, and am waiting on some springs for the front. i will post it when I am done slamming it. Looks ok so far?

12. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

I actually think it's illegal in the lower 48! But what the hell your a hoodlum right? Bottom line is do what ever you want we don't know anything here!

13. nail-head

nail-head

There really isn't much difference in design between the Astro Supreme and the Cragar S/S, but I think their traditions have pigeonholed them some. The Cragar S/S came out in '64, I think, maybe '65, wide whites were on their way out and skinny whites were in, so if being period correct matters, go with skinnies. Or redlines or black walls, but that gives more of a late sixties musclecar look.

I'm thinking about Cragar S/S's for my Riviera, but it will give it more of a musclecar feel and I'm not really sure I want that for this car.

But I'm not strictly a color-by-numbers guy and they look good on that '41 Buick up the thread.

And who can disagree with "it's your car, if you like the way it looks, that's all that matters?"

14. S.F.

S.F.

check it out ...its Watson

15. soylent

soylent
    BANNED
    from FL

Heres a picture with the 3 inch drop on the rear!

Attached Files:

16. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Use different wheels if you are running white wall slicks. But they would look cool with skinny whites, lowrider style.

17. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

You already answered you own post !

19. 3windowford

3windowford
    from Edison NJ

If you run Cragars with whitewalls in my neck of the woods you might get your ass kicked. Redlines, raised white letter, blackwall...all acceptable. Whitewalls ain't to bad on Radir wheels...on the right car.

20. 46mopar

46mopar

I don't know heres mine. Ive never been a fan of Cragars but....They look ok to me.
    [​IMG]

21. VonFly

VonFly

Chrome reverse wheels with wide whites more appealing to me.

22. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

I like it....there is a cool prurple F100 owned by Chastain that has the white wall with cragars and it looks great. I think the 60's era looks really good with that combo. Do it man what the hell. If people dont like it then they wont look at it but hope thats not what makes your build go either way.

23. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

There is a well known 55 Ford Vicky in this area with white/seafoam (?) paint and wide whites on Cragars. The car looks great. I think I have a few pics in the garage if I can find them.
    Doesn't work on too many cars though.

24. Kerry67

Kerry67

I love Cragars. One of the best rims ever and to me they look great on everything. I think they look good with Skinny Whites. But, if you like it, that is all that is important.

25. anything but wide whites....

26. Agreed.

27. I saw a 1957 Chevy done custom with Cragars and wide-whites. Until then I would have said no, not a good look. But it really made the car special. Besides, it is your ride, go for it

28. Maybe it's just the Swine Flu or something, but I just threw up in my mouth again after reading a post. Anyway, Cragar's and wide whites...NO! Thin whitewalls would look good. I prefer 14x7s with 5.20's or a skinny radial whitewall, or 15x7's and 5.60's on a larger car or truck. I m a little BIASed,(pun intended). Old school lowrider style......of course I'm required to like lowriders. I think it's a main ingredient in Mexican DNA.

29. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

i ran fatty whites on cragars for years...

Attached Files:

dmikulec likes this.
  30. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought those Cragars off of Mike years ago and mounted skinny whites on them, still have them stored away. They looked good on the Galaxie, now departed.