Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cracked valve seat repair flathead six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64Kaddy, Jul 7, 2017.

1. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

IMG_7984.JPG IMG_7988.JPG wondering if anyone can recommend a machine shop local to San Gabriel Valley California that would be able to repair a cracked mopar flathead six exhaust valve seat.

2. Budget36

Budget36

That would be SOP for any machine shop.

3. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Replacing a seat should be no problem for any machine shop. Use a hardened seat when replacing.

4. oldolds

oldolds

Find an older machinist, He should have the tooling to come out and fix/replace that in the car. Most garages had the tools to do it in the car in the 60's.

5. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

IMG_7989.JPG IMG_7990.JPG I was thinking of attempting with this?

6. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

I'm not sure if there are many old machinist that would do this remotely around So Cal. Found a machine shop around my area (Irwindale) that says I would have to bring the block in for them to determine.

7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are there any machinists that were working in the 60's still working?

8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

9. oldolds

oldolds

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

If I'm not mistaken all the pics shown are for resurfacing valve seats. That seat needs to come out and be replaced, using a special driver guided by a valve guide arbor insert. Getting the old one out is usually done by welding on it such that the subsequent cooling of the metal shrings it so it will fall out.
    It is also possible to bore the parent head material for a larger OD seat if required.
    If it was mine I'd do them all and be set for life. The adjacent seat has a huge amount of valve seat recession and also needs replacing. And replace the guides too. Maybe even install bigger valves.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  11. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

I've heard about these
    I've heard about these Sioux reamers. Looks like you can make a major mess with this tool.

12. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

image.jpg
    Thank you for your input. The adjacent seat is from the intake valve and I notice it does not have a ring on them like the hardened exhaust ones do. I will be taking it to a shop nearby tomorrow and see what they recommend.

13. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

After all it looks like ill be rebuilding the engine afterall

14. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

Took the engine to a local machine shop to replace seats, install valve guides and check deck for warping. The deck was warped and they talked me into taking it apart, put it in the oven to clean and magnaflux for any cracks. It's been three weeks and the shop hasn't called me with an update. Looks like I'm in for a full rebuild. Have a bad gut feeling with the shop so I think Im gonna pull the engine out of there this weekend. I didn't approve any work beyond the magnafluxing so I hope I can pull it out with no hassle