Register now to get rid of these ads!

cracked frame repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by insomniacshotrods, Oct 17, 2013.

1. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

While crawling around on my back wiring up my turn signals on the 29 tudor sedan,i noticed a little problem with the frame. Is this common? I am going to reweld the break,and was wondering if i needed to also box that section with access holes for the shock ? Or should i do it some other way? Thanks. ( right side )[​IMG] left side [​IMG] left side cracked up to next hole [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It almost looks like it had been repaired before. I've never had much luck with welding up a crack like that without grinding or cutting into the crack to get rid of most of the work hardened metal next to the crack.

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I would cut away the broken portion and graft in a replacement section. This is quite common problem and practice. When the body mounts age and dry up they lose their resiliency and put added stresses on the frame mounting points. Repair it and install new mounts. Reinforcing/boxing the frame is a good idea too.

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

the heat from welding hardens the steel WAY more than work hardening ever would...

5. dan31

dan31

Hard to tell from pics where the cracks end, but it's a good practice to drill a small hole at the very end before welding up -it helps to stop the crack from spreading later.

6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I do frame straightening͵ repair & custom
    suspension fabrication for a living and
    What u have there is nothing major to
    Repair. Clean the area good & then the
    Most important step is to "V" out the crack.
    Doesnt matter if u widen the crack as long
    As u "V" it. This will allow u to get a bead
    Of weld into the crack itself instead of jus
    Piling weld on top of it. That should work
    Fine.

7. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Thanks so much for the replies, my knowledge of frame repair are nonexistent, but have a good welder and im willing to learn.

8. fatkoop

fatkoop

I've never had much success at just v-ing out the crack and rewelding it. It almost always will crack again right next to the repair. The best fix to me is to box that section of the frame at least a few inches on either side of the crack. Be careful how you weld the boxing plate too, or the frame will crack at the end of the welded plate. You don't want any sharp edges or undercuts that will cause a stress point.