Register now to get rid of these ads!

COZIK Buick - American Graffiti?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rem, May 19, 2011.

1. Rem

Rem

Anyone have the story behind this photo?

Attached Files:

coupe33 likes this.
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

photoshop?

that Buick is still around. used to beat my buddies 55 chevy in all the Bay Area indoor shows back in the day.

3. I think it's actually "CUBIK" (Buick spelled inside out) or something like that. OH and it was not in the movie.

Mick

Last edited: May 19, 2011
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Rem

Rem

Thanks guys. Others had suggested it's Photoshopped, but someone came up with another pic of it - so it's genuine! I guess it's a little later than pure HAMB material, but pretty cool, none the less.

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.

5. yeah i saw that pic years ago i was like i dont remember that car in the movie

6. definitely not in the movie.
    i'm curious, though. if the movie took place in 1962 (i've seen most commonly), were the torq thrusts around yet?

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Promotional material, I'll bet, probably made up after the movie cars were sold. Nobody expected the movie to be a hit, so they didn't keep much around.

-Dave

8. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Doing a bit of searching after reading this, and I found.

http://www.americangraffiti.net/movie_behind-the-scenes.html

As others have said though, the car wasnt in the movie, it wasnt one parked at Mel's, unless it was tucked in the back somewhere, and I missed it, was actually just watching it about 8 hours ago.

9. I'd love to know more about the car and the story behind the picture.

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Allen Taylor's '57 Buick. Was an ISCA show car from Central Valley, CA. That is all I know.

11. Ripon Garage

Ripon Garage
    from ripon ca

call Al Taylor 209 599 1976 the car is in CA in his garage

Stogy likes this.
  12. kidcope1969

kidcope1969
    from US

Here's the scoop for all of you that want to know. The car was in the movie but not as a star car. There are scenes where the car is in the backgroung, such as when Dryfuss gets kicked out of the bug, Cubik is in the background. They also used the car for various scenes for background noise such as when Milner & Phillips are walking throught the wrecking yard looking at all the wrecked cars. Now the reason the car was not a feature car was that the movie was portrayed to be in 62 and the car was too dated for the movie. They did not have full side pipes and American Magnesium wheels in that time. Not knowing how well this movie was going to be or become, The wheels and pipes were not removed as this car was actively participating in ISCA at the time(1972). All the pictures are real as I actually have some of the real blk n white;s hanging in my shop. The picture of the car with Toad and Candy Clark actually appears on some of the VHS Sleeves and some of the DVD releases. This car was based out of the East Bay until about the mid 90's and now is in the Central Valley. The car has been family owned since day 1. Cubik was the first car registered in the ISCA on the West Coast. The car can still be seen at various small show in and around the Bay area. And yes, Cubik is just Buick scrambled up

whoodooman and 30tudor like this.
  13. Here are some pictures I took of the car at Goodguys Pleasanton in 2008.

Attached Files:

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No place but the HAMB!

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Torq Thrusts introduced in 1956

16. F&J

F&J

The pic in post #1 is 40 years old this year.

.....anybody else feel old? :(

17. I'm pretty sure the car was a feature car in Street Rodder along with a similarly customize 54 Buick, but I can't find the magazine to confirm. It was back in the 70's. I'll keep digging.

I went to see a 57 Buick with an aquaintence way back. It was solid, all there, in primer and for sale for 1000 bucks. The guy I was with offered him 700 and he said no. We walked away. If I'd had a thou I'd of bought it. I've loved the pillared back windows ever since.

Doug.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  18. HRSPWR

HRSPWR
    from Olympia WA

I grew up in San Rafael where parts of the movie were filmed. I went down to 4th street in the evenings a watched them film. I remember them towing the Buick up and down 4th street with a camera platform vehicle for what seemed like endless hours for 2 or 3 nights. All of that footage wound up on the cutting room floor I guess.
    A lot has changed in 40 years, I think the only recognizeable landmark from the movie is the Rafael theater. I remember after the movie came out there were huge crowds of hot rods cruising 4th street, wish I'd taken a camera at that time!

19. Hotweel

Hotweel

The photo was used in promotional material but not in the movie, probably because it would not have been a period correct custom for 1962.

20. Hey guys I just joined. Thot to update on this. I competed against Al Taylor's Cubick a few times. Tho its not really traditional, it was pretty awesome in the late 70's. Just got a FB from a buddy, he had dinner with Al and Wilma 2 weeks ago. This car was at Goodguys recently looking as fresh as it was 30 years ago. Obviously, he outclassed us all.

21. dmikulec

dmikulec

That Buick is bad ass. First I've ever heard of it.

Resurrecting this ancient thread to add: now I have some more inspiration for my Pontiac project (still in its "as found" state)...

IMG-6993.jpg

22. WOW. More AG minutiae to think about.:)

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

B0CBE590-1CE1-4FAA-B58D-A45195BCF59E.jpeg 1962 Torque Thrusts

dmikulec and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  24. If no one has mentioned it yet. The Scholastic Scope magazine, was a monthly study mag. that they gave to us in High school back than. That one had the coolest of covers.:) Ron.....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. I'm almost positive I've seen that car in some car mag at some time.